GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searching the internet to find information on the headlight bulb and "how to install" shows:

1. 9007 for high beam and 9007 for low beam, and the "how to" says the low beam is on the left, etc.
2. My Equinox appears to have only 1 bulb for high and low (dual filament)
3. I have also run across mentions of 9007hb5
4. I am interested in converting to HID, but don't know what kit to order.
5. When my dealer changed one headlight for moister, he took off the whole front end, but the "how to" sites show a fairly simple process that entails just pulling off the front grille.

What is the truth?

·
Registered
10,506 Posts
Regarding Item #4, since you have a reflector, and not a projector headlight setup, it is advised that you DO NOT convert to HIDs. Otherwise, the light will be scattered instead of focused, and you will be shinning light beams all over the road, and also into the eyes of drivers coming towards you. Plus, it is illegal, since it is not DOT approved.

Just my $0.02 and one of my pet peeves.

:soapbox:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One of the options I am looking actually replaces the bulb(s) with a projector. No, I don't know how they do that but I can't even ask questions until I know what I've got.

Need answers to the other questions.

·
Registered
45 Posts
recommend you use a regular bulb, they work fine, it is one bulb. owners manuals shows how to remove- remove black grill plastic fasteners, grill pulls out to unclip, 3 screws on the headlamp assy

·
Registered
673 Posts
kupiheab said:
You would need a 9006 bi xenon HID if thats how you want to go. My preference for HIDs are a 6000k
too blue, 4300K is the perfect mix for color and light output.

You can get after market projectors that are installed inside your headlight housing, all you have to do is open up the headlight and drop it in.

·
Registered
43 Posts
hopekee said:
the front bumper does not need removed, but the grill does in order to replace a headlight
The GRILL does NOT have to be removed.....just the center chrome grill bar..... That's probably what you meant. :thumb:

1.) Remove the grill bar by prying at the end, and pulling gently outward until clips release. Gently pushing on the grill plastic (inward) while pulling on the grill bar outward can help.

NOTE** Grill bar clips are fragile and commonly break. They cost $5.00 EACH from GM. I just obtained 8 from Ebay for $14.00 shipped. How GM justifies $5 a molded plastic clip is beyond me.... :eek:

2.) Once grill bar is off, there are 3 -10mm screws that hold each light in place on Gen-I Nox models. Two of the bolts are on the top of the radiator support, and the 3rd is towards the grill, down below the top of the headlamp level. Having a magnet handy is a good ideal while removing this bolt.

3.) The headlamp also has a rubber "snubber" that holds the bottom, outside of the lamp in place. Pull gently on the outside of the light, (opposite the grill side) until the pin pops out of the rubber grommet. Once out, the headlamp slips out of the grill enough to replace necessary bulbs from their respective sockets for replacement.

As for replacement bulbs: I generally stick with OEM, only because using a higher wattage bulb can damage wiring. OEM wiring is designed for specific wattage/amps, and exceeding that can cause excessive heat, and plugs and wires melt. This is a common issue with tuner cars and replacing bulbs with other than OEM replacements and seen in the industry commonly......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts