GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Equinox. Recently, I've started having problems with the HVAC blower motor. You have to turn it to highest speed and it slowly increases in speed till it gets to high. Once there, you can change speeds with control, but it will not start blowing on any speed below high. Is this the resistor, the switch or the blower motor? Thanks.

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
wargle said:
I have a 2006 Equinox. Recently, I've started having problems with the HVAC blower motor. You have to turn it to highest speed and it slowly increases in speed till it gets to high. Once there, you can change speeds with control, but it will not start blowing on any speed below high. Is this the resistor, the switch or the blower motor? Thanks.
I'd guess the bearings on the blower motor may need a shot of WD40. It needs the higher speed to overcome the initial turning resistance. If it were the resistor, then you probably would not be able to change the speed any time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it possible to wd40 the motor bearings without removing the motor? I haven't checked to see what it looks like in place.

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
wargle said:
Is it possible to wd40 the motor bearings without removing the motor? I haven't checked to see what it looks like in place.
I can't say for certain, but I would guess with 90% confidence that you can. Most of my cars it was possible. In the "old" cars you could get to it from the engine compartment, but newer ones needed access thru the instrument panel - under the glove box. They ran out of room in the engine compartment as all of the emissions stuff took priority ! :thumbdown:

·
Registered
20 Posts
it sounds like the resistor to me. the resistor is used to change the speed to the lower settings. high bypasses the resistor, which is why it will still work in high, even if the resistor is bad.

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
mdub said:
it sounds like the resistor to me. the resistor is used to change the speed to the lower settings. high bypasses the resistor, which is why it will still work in high, even if the resistor is bad.
But, once it is running, he is able to change speeds. Still think resister ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Without being there first hand, its definately hard to diagnose over the web lol. When my resistor went in my old ford ranger, I slowly lost speeds, until only high was left. The easiest thing to do is apply some penetrating lube like you suggested, then grab a meter and start checking things, then I'd look at the resistor. Mine was all melted together, and I ended up having to replace the plug too.

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
mdub said:
Without being there first hand, its definately hard to diagnose over the web lol. When my resistor went in my old ford ranger, I slowly lost speeds, until only high was left. The easiest thing to do is apply some penetrating lube like you suggested, then grab a meter and start checking things, then I'd look at the resistor. Mine was all melted together, and I ended up having to replace the plug too.
:thumb:

·
Registered
482 Posts
I would also think if it was the resister assembly you would lose the speeds one at a time 1, then 2 ETC. And they would also not work after. Once you find what it takes to get to blower motor, you may want to think if you really want to do a temp fix with WD40, or just replace it and be done with it. :)

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
Terra-Nox said:
I would also think if it was the resister assembly you would lose the speeds one at a time 1, then 2 ETC. And they would also not work after. Once you find what it takes to get to blower motor, you may want to think if you really want to do a temp fix with WD40, or just replace it and be done with it. :)
I usually think of electrical components, such as a resistor, as either working or not working, and not slowly degrading to a failure state. But, I certainly could be wrong. I do agree that if it is hard to get to the blower motor, and if that is the problem, it may be best to just replace it, and be done with it - however, my time is "free", so I tend to do the cheap fix, whenever possible. Then, after a few band-aid fixes, I finally do it the "right" way !

·
Registered
482 Posts
RIT333 said:
I usually think of electrical components, such as a resistor, as either working or not working, and not slowly degrading to a failure state. But, I certainly could be wrong. I do agree that if it is hard to get to the blower motor, and if that is the problem, it may be best to just replace it, and be done with it - however, my time is "free", so I tend to do the cheap fix, whenever possible. Then, after a few band-aid fixes, I finally do it the "right" way !
Duct tape and baling wire have always been favorites of mine, but sooner or later ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :)

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
Terra-Nox said:
Duct tape and baling wire have always been favorites of mine, but sooner or later ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :)
Another must for your toolbox is Shoe Goo. It is one of the few things that I have been able to use to successfully repair come of today's plartics. That stuff will adhere to just about anything - except maybe Shoes ! If you've never used it, get some - you won't regret it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts