GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

2005 Equinox stalls after start

19K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Levi 
#1 ·
#5 ·
I have only had the vehicle for less than a year. So that is something I need to look into. It is bothersome because it happens after I turn on the A.C and it lights up the turn signal lights on the dash like posted on the video. my first guess was a faulty PCM wasn’t sure if anyone else has experience this

#6 ·
Your T/C light is not supposed to come on after stalling like that I believe. Also, why is your oil light on? Try resetting your oil life indicator.

I have driven an '05 equinox for several years and have gotten to know it very well. All these cold starts are no good for the motor either....
RPM will kick up when idling if you turn on the AC, the defrost or the defrost/foot.

Could be fuel related, but I would also say possibly electrical.

The other day I was listening to the radio and charging my phone in the car with the key in the on position. I basically live in my equinox, so I am very familiar with it. All of a sudden I saw the T/C light on the dashboard. Needless to say I shut the car off and I couldn't start it. When I turned it to the 'on' position, the radio worked and lights turned on (I still had some juice) and abnormally the T/C light was on.

I would check if for vacuum leaks by spraying some sort of solvents anywhere the intake manifold is connected, then maybe hook it up to a scanner and confirm there are no codes. After that start diagnosing possible fuel issues.

Any breakthroughs or new information?

#7 ·
After 7 years, I'd also suggest looking at cleaning the throttle body. Not sure how easy it is to do on your vehicle. A dirty, gummy throttle body is prone to stalling and fairly common on electronic throttle bodies. Just a guess, but when you hit the AC it adds a load to the engine and either it's starved for fuel or air. Raise the RPMs just a little bit before turning on the AC and see if it still dies.

#8 ·
sorry for the late response but this is the progress so far. so i am not going to replace the fuel filter since it is intergrated to the fuel pump im not going to spend $400 on the kit without being sure if that is what the problem is. What i have done is i removed the A/C clutch relay and have not had the problem with that, but taking it to a short drive around the block as soon as the DRL switch on i run into the same problem. Removing the relay for the DRL resolved the issue with that. so had to remove two relays to keep the it running. I would really like to get the ac working again.

#10 ·
24david24 said:
sorry for the late response but this is the progress so far. so i am not going to replace the fuel filter since it is intergrated to the fuel pump im not going to spend $400 on the kit without being sure if that is what the problem is. What i have done is i removed the A/C clutch relay and have not had the problem with that, but taking it to a short drive around the block as soon as the DRL switch on i run into the same problem. Removing the relay for the DRL resolved the issue with that. so had to remove two relays to keep the it running. I would really like to get the ac working again.
Sounds to me like you are running out of electrical juice causing your engine to die. Have you had your alternator and battery tested? Most auto parts stores here will test it for free, have it tested at two different auto parts stores just to verify what they tell you. Regarding the fuel filter suggestion somebody provided, in a older chevy van I had I found out I needed the fuel filter changed (at about 130000 miles was on a trip, first moderate hill I came to I went from 65mph to about 20 or 30 with no power at all (I thought I was going to have to pull over but made it, then every hill after that it did it again. Thankfully I was only about 3 hills and 200 miles from home. Next day I went and purchased a new filter (located) externally close to fuel tank, removed and replaced, kept the van another 30k and no more problems. Hope this helps.

Ernest

#13 ·
The last post by 24david24 was in 2014 so he might not answer.
I'll take a real long shot in the dark.

The negative battery cable has a single black wire from the cable to the BCM on my 2014 Equinox.
Good Luck.

Reactions: bigb12359
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.