• any advice

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My motor blew in my 2005 , found one from an 08 swapped it out ,unfortunately i assumed everything would be straight forward ....now no spark,no fuel .....found online the ecu's cam/crank signal voltage is different...what can i do to solve this issue ? has anyone ever dealt with this before ? Can i get engine harness/fuse block/ecu from an 08 and just program it ?

Need help , im lost and dont know what my options are in this situation .thanks in advance. :confused:

·
Registered
9,973 Posts
You may have to have the dealer deal with it, or try to get the ECU from the same car that you got the motor from.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im going back to the place i got the motor from and grabbing that ecu from the donor car ,, im just hoping the ecu has the same 3 plugs my car if not i may have to rewire the entire engine bay , i def do not want to pull this motor again

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
You're probably going to need the keys and the ignition from the donor car too. If not, you'll need the dealer to program the new ECU for you transponder in your keys. It'll never start if the ECU doesn't accept the transponder from the keys.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh man .. i bit off a big one this time ... i was thinking of taking it to the dealer and seeing if there is anything they can do with it the way it is .. but i dont want to waste anymore time ... i wonder if i can get the ecu modified or chipped to read the new sensors ??

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Sadly, the days of engine swaps are much more complicated with newer vehicles. Even with the same hardware and wiring harnesses there can be firmware differences and more that render things useless until all the bugaboos are discovered.

These days it pays to do quite a bit of research before the $$$$ start going into a project.

Hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
492 Posts
OUCH! I did a quick check on Rock Auto and it looks like the ECM isn't interchangeable. To heap on, I checked some of the sensors and the throttle body and it looks like the 2005 and 2006 model years are pretty much interchangeable but not with a 2008.

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
The correct way to do this would be to strip the 2008 engine down to the bare block and head, then bolt on all the 2005 components (as long as the engine was the same.) At that point, if it didn't run, you either forgot to plug something in, or they sold you a bad engine.

It sounds as if you left everything attached to the 2008 then tried plugging the 2008 harness into the ECU? Or maybe the 2005 harness into the 2008 engine components? Either way, I hope you have the 2005 still to swap it all over. Otherwise, you'll need to buy an engine closer to the 2005.

·
Registered
9,973 Posts
Op

Afterhoursfab has been in this business many times, so I would follow his advice as the gospel. It is not his first rodeo.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All the sensors were the same the only different one was the cam sensor , its designed different but all the plugs were the same . i did switch all the sensors over from the old motor just incase ...ive just never encountered anything like this before , the motor from the 2008 runs perfect and has good compression across the board , i saw it run before i purchased it , im just unsure of what my next move should be , i really dont want to pull this motor again just for a sensor , but im going back to the donor car tomorrow to see if i can take the harness/ecu and related items .

·
Registered
1 Posts
i did some checking on 2005 2006 engine swap on my 2006 equinox only 05 06 engine are direct swap because the reluctor ring is different they went from a 24 tooth to a 56 tooth so the only way to make it work is to change ecm and wiring harness

·
Registered
16 Posts
I know this is old, and maybe it wont be replied by OP, but I will try to explain a little from my personal technological experiences:

-As they say before, 2005-2006 LNJ are no swappable with 2007-2009 LNJs, Crank Sensor 24X and 58X is one reason, the other is because SAIC-GM change a lot of parts on the block itself in 2007 (Cam, Crank, Journals, you name it). The only thing they don't update was the heads, pistons and rods.

-ECUs are not compatible because in 2007, ECU was different, TCU is different, some Calibrations is not compatible, the list is even more bigger (In this period, the Equinox/Torrent was transitioning from using Saturn parts bin to a GM parts bin (even if Saturn was from GM, its parts where more different and have Saturn Part Number ratter than a GM P/N). Basically the Equinox 1.5 is after 2007, and a lot of mechanical and electrical things wont work on Equinox 1.0

-I think swapping the Block and Head might work, but the rest of the sensor and components from the 1.0 has to be in 1.5 Engine. Especially the Crank Sensor.

If helps, here's a useful link about GM 60° V6s (The old X Engine or 3400 60° and the High Value 3500/3900)
https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2011/03/rebuilding-the-chevy-3-4l3-5l-engine/

1 - 12 of 12 Posts