GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have an '04 Equinox that periodically has trouble starting. When I do get it started, most of the time an alarm chime will sound for about a minute and then stop. Things investigated so far has been the starter(which was replaced) battery is in good health, andthe neutral safety switch is also working(thought that was the culprit in the begining).
Does anyone have any ideas? I can't believe the dealership wants $110 to hook it up to a computer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
BeachNanny said:
Hi, I have an '04 Equinox that periodically has trouble starting. When I do get it started, most of the time an alarm chime will sound for about a minute and then stop. Things investigated so far has been the starter(which was replaced) battery is in good health, andthe neutral safety switch is also working(thought that was the culprit in the begining).
Does anyone have any ideas? I can't believe the dealership wants $110 to hook it up to a computer.
After a minute the alarm stops or the car stops?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,106 Posts
some of the chain auto part stores will let you use their code reader to diagnose..for free..

see what engine codes you may or maynot be throwing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kparrent said:
After a minute the alarm stops or the car stops?
the alarm stops. Otherwise, the car drives fine. I have had this car for a little over a year, and no one can figure it out, although it seemed to work okay with the new starter for a little while.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wrusprod said:
some of the chain auto part stores will let you use their code reader to diagnose..for free..

see what engine codes you may or maynot be throwing.
thanks, I will have to check that out.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
BeachNanny said:
the alarm stops. Otherwise, the car drives fine. I have had this car for a little over a year, and no one can figure it out, although it seemed to work okay with the new starter for a little while.
So what does it do when it doesn't start? Does it have a strong crank, no crank? If it is no crank or weak crank, your starter connections may have just come loose again. If they aren't tightened to spec (and even sometimes if they are) they will vibrate loose after some time. Tell us more about what it's doing when it doesn't work though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kparrent said:
So what does it do when it doesn't start? Does it have a strong crank, no crank? If it is no crank or weak crank, your starter connections may have just come loose again. If they aren't tightened to spec (and even sometimes if they are) they will vibrate loose after some time. Tell us more about what it's doing when it doesn't work though.
it cranks like it wants to start, but doesn't. SO I try again. I turn the key as faras I can and finally it will start, that is when I hear the chiming. To me the car has always had what I call a late start- it never starts up right away. I hope this is making sense......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
BeachNanny said:
it cranks like it wants to start, but doesn't. SO I try again. I turn the key as faras I can and finally it will start, that is when I hear the chiming. To me the car has always had what I call a late start- it never starts up right away. I hope this is making sense......
easy first step is make sure your battery cables are clean and secure. Look for any visible damage on them. Make sure the grounds are clean as well, especially the main one (follow negative cable)
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top