Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if this has been discussed before, did a quick search and
didn't see a similar topic.

I recently ordered a Chevy Equinox LTZ and should take delivery
in early October. Before I decided on this model I was looking into
the Buick Enclave and liked the dealer option of a 2 way key fob with
an LCD screen. As far as I know this isn't an option through my dealer
but I was wondering if anyone here on the forums had any experience with
an aftermarket upgrade similar to the one in the link below.

Thanks for your time.

http://www.sandyblogs.com/techlink/2008/05/2-way-advanced-remote-start.html

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hmmm... I take it no one has tried to change the key fobs :-\

Can I ask anyone to post a pic of the fobs that come with the nox ?

·
Registered
306 Posts
I can take a photo of a Terrain "fob" for you, not sure, however, if it's the same as a Nox.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks RSchleder.

I think this is something I will try to work on after I get the nox. The wife is always freezing in the winter and a long range
start seems like a good way to keep her from turning solid on the leather seats ;D

·
Registered
144 Posts
The Terrain remote is the same as the Nox, however it has a "GMC" on it and the Nox has a bowtie. How much distance would be gained with the 2 way remote? The remote start feature works up to 195 feet.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm... I thought the factory fobs had a range of about 30 feet. 195 feet would be enough distance to
start and get the car warmed up or cooled down I suppose. Is there feedback that lets you know the car
did start?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Yes, lights blink then some lights, front and back stay on.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Roesterman said:
Yes, lights blink then some lights, front and back stay on.
Ok thanks Roesterman I wondering about something on the key fob though, like a beep or some
other noise. Thanks for the post tho.

·
Registered
635 Posts
stratoform said:
Hmmm... I thought the factory fobs had a range of about 30 feet. 195 feet would be enough distance to
start and get the car warmed up or cooled down I suppose. Is there feedback that lets you know the car
did start?
From the manual it say 325 feet range.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Roesterman said:
From the manual it say 325 feet range.
325 would be plenty of distance. I guess the only real benefit with the advanced fobs
is visual feedback in case you weren't line of site with the car.

·
Registered
62 Posts
stratoform said:
325 would be plenty of distance. I guess the only real benefit with the advanced fobs
is visual feedback in case you weren't line of site with the car.
The manual strongly recommends to have a visual on the car when remote start it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have to disagree on the 325 feet claim. If there's anything between you and your 'Nox like, say, a chain link fence, the range is more like 30 feet for remote start. Strangely enough, though, the lock/unlock feature still works from a farther distance. As for other cues that it worked, the sound of the 4 cylinder engine is pretty unique and is a good audio cue that it started - assuming your range is similar to mine, you'll have to be close enough to hear it :mad:

At any rate, here are a couple pics of the key fob. I love the "switchblade action" feature of the key itself - addictive...

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Superboy95 said:
...If there's anything between you and your 'Nox like, say, a chain link fence, the range is more like 30 feet for remote start....
LOL ;D

Superboy95 thanks for the post and the pictures :) . The contact at the dealership where I ordered the Equinox just got back from
vacation so I fired off an email to him asking about the 2-way key fob. I'll relay what he says about them.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
There is NO feedback in the FOB itself for the remote start. It would be great for it to have a beep but it doesnt.

Our remote start has worked from about 250ft at the mall once. If you can look out a window and see your vehicle, itll start. :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Haven't heard back from the dealer yet about feasibility or cost of an install. However if the
Onstar Mobile App becomes available that may be a nice alternative. Not sure if it will be available
for the 2011 thetas yet though. ::)

I think there would be a yearly subscription fee for the app iirc.
OnStar Smartphone App Technology

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The dealership emailed back a couple of weeks ago and said the key-fobs I inquired about
were incompatible with the Equinox. Not really sure why.

I did come across this relatively new OnStar article though.
http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/16/onstar-adding-smartphone-apps/

"Mr. Preuss reiterated what we reported in May: OnStar will support some Google
Android phone apps as well as Apple iPhone versions on the Chevy Volt. What’s new
is that the company is confirming plans to roll out such services in all 2011 and later
OnStar-equipped models."

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
stratoform said:
The dealership emailed back a couple of weeks ago and said the key-fobs I inquired about
were incompatible with the Equinox. Not really sure why.[/color]

I did come across this relatively new OnStar article though.
http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/16/onstar-adding-smartphone-apps/

"Mr. Preuss reiterated what we reported in May: OnStar will support some Google
Android phone apps as well as Apple iPhone versions on the Chevy Volt. What’s new
is that the company is confirming plans to roll out such services in all 2011 and later
OnStar-equipped models."
Security reasons maybe?

Intersting read, thanks stratoform.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the Advanced 2 Way remote on my 2010 Avalanche. I had it on my 2007 Avalanche as well. I was the first one at the dealership to ask about it in 2007 and they installed it for ~$250. I loved it then and I still do now. The key is line of sight. The original installation put the receiver in the headliner above the rear window and it worked pretty good, but I routed the receiver antenna out the rear window and zip tied it to the rear cross bar and it make a heckuva difference. I'm a tech geek so I love gadgets like this. The remote is pretty big (compared to the stock remote), but I like the 2-way feedback. I offered to have it added to my wife's 2010 Terrain, but she wanted nothing to do with it. Partly because she can't believe I paid $250 for a fancy remote that doesn't work all the time. Her opinion aside, I still like it. I don't know where they put the receiver antenna in the Terrain, but I bet if you relocate it to one of the roof racks it will help considerably.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts