GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody running a 2 inch hitch on their Equinox. how its going ? did you had the dealer replace the small hitch for the big one or it was homw made ? did you purshased the truck with the Hitch option from the dealer ? tks to let me know. Anybody with pics of the back of the truck, how its looking with the hitch. ?

·
Registered
43 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
danlauz said:
Anybody running a 2 inch hitch on their Equinox. how its going ? did you had the dealer replace the small hitch for the big one or it was homw made ? did you purshased the truck with the Hitch option from the dealer ? tks to let me know. Anybody with pics of the back of the truck, how its looking with the hitch. ?
If you go up to the search bar and put in "hitch" you will get a lot of information from forum users about hitches. I installed the Curt 2" hitch on my Nox and it was a breeze. 6 bolts in existing holes. I scuffed the finish with some 120 grit sand paper and put on 2 coats of truck bed liner which worked great for stopping rust from stone chips and normal wear. The Curt wiring was really easy to. Just a simple plug and play thing.

·
Registered
830 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Would it be possible for the folks that installed 2 inch Hitches to post some pictures?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I will try to get some pictures later today. When you remove the small piece of the rear bumper to expose the spot where the hitch comes out it is obvious that they designed it to fit a 2" perfectly.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I hope these post correctly and I hope they help. There was no modification of any type to the vehicle. The hitch is a Curt 2" hitch but since they all use the factory mounting holes I would think they will all fit the same. Once you remove the pop out panel on the bottom of the bumper you will see where the plastic is already cut to receive a 2" hitch and one of the pictures shows clearly how well it fits into that area. If a different angle would help you more let me know.

G

·
I started another topic in the Towing section on this, but...with a Class 3 hitch (2"x2") do you guys thing I can haul my Motocross bike? See the pics below. The bike is about 230lbs and the hitch assembly is about 40-50lbs. The spec on the tongue weight for even the class 2 hitch (1.25"x1.25", max 3500lbs) which the Nox/Terrain is rated for is 350lbs so I'm under that. Just kind of wondering though if the Equinox is study enough for it.

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
If your within the rating you should be good to go. Wish I could do that with my V Star.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I agree, stay under the hitch weight and you should be just fine. The only issue I'd have is if there was swaying of the motorcycle or some type of a vibration. I 'd just keep a close eye on it and you should be ok.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks to all who posted pictures and to SuperMat64 for the Softride link. :)

I have a question for anyone to answer though. I have an 2.4L 4 Cyl. SIDI DOHC VVT on order.
I don't intend to do any towing but I would like to put a bike rack like the Softride
Hydraulic Assist Dura 4 Bike Rack on in the future.

Does anyone know if the 4 cylinder models have the same pre-drilled holes that allow
for easy installation of hitches like the etrailer types http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2011_Chevrolet_Equinox.htm ?

Thanks

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yes they do! Very easy installation if you can turn a wrench.

·
Registered
48 Posts
cross posting from a new thread I just made as I need a timely response to purchase one...

Does anyone actually have a flat carrier that can fold installed on their Equinox? I will trust that the Terrain bumper has the same curve and clearance as the Nox...???...???

I'm trying to decide between a 48" or 60" (the latter could cause brake light coverage depending on how packed).
As I was just looking at that bumper, it was hard to see a folding one not hitting the bumper...
I'll be installing the Class 3 2" hitch just for the extra tongue weight ability (I know the towing limits).

Please specify if you have the small lip kind (3") or the basket edges that go up 4 to 6"...

I'm thinking to get an aluminum one for the weight advantage (single girl here so I need to be able to manipulate it easily when traveling..)
I'll want to be able to use it for basic luggage or a bike when needed. Any advice on the 48" vs. 60" for a bike?

THANK YOU!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts