GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y’all I’m looking to swap a 2014 2.4L over to a 3.6L. Trying to see if anyone has done this previously, and if so were there any issues that you ran into and, is there anything I can keep with the vehicle that would connect to the 3.6L. I’m sure I will at least need to do the Trans, ECM, and if im not able to alter the wiring harness swap It out entirely. Any information provided would be a great help thank y’all for the time.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
I believe it was mentioned before-- and most people just said-- cheaper to find a use one with a 3.6 already in it.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
2x more hassle than it's worth. Even if you had complete donor one next to it the swap over of mechanical and the hidden / unknown computer system and harness issues would put ya on suicide watch.
This ain't the '80's anymore.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I don't think I would even do it as a retirement project, might not have enough time left on my clock.
Just buy a 2013 to 2015 Terrain or Nox from the west or southwest with no rust.
Freshen it up as you go.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I also believe front suspension would be needed for the added engine weight. I4 and V6 front suspension differs IIRC. Also, isn't the transmission a 6T70 for the V6 and the I-4 less robust?
Agree. . . . a lot of rework to do it, time and $$$$.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I would like to see a v8 fwd impala ss motor.
…that would be cool, but just to point out the 5.3 V8 in the ‘09 Impala SS had 303 HP…the 3.6 V6 is rated 301 HP…due to weight, I think the 3.6 V6 swap would be faster…in stock form. BUT, start modifying the V8 with heads & cam, etc, and the V8 could easily outshine the 3.6!

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L
3,996 Posts
I don't think I would even do it as a retirement project, might not have enough time left on my clock.
Just buy a 2013 to 2015 Terrain or Nox from the west or southwest with no rust.
Freshen it up as you go.
I'd love to see some capable mechanic or shadetree mechanic (with the right tools) do this just once - on the cheap ... so we could see a complete list of parts (and their pricing) to do the swap at some minimum cost.

For starters, what if you already live in a sunbelt state, have a 2.4L Equinox you bought brand new, own free and clear, it's in great shape otherwise, and you've found a low-mileage 3.6L Nox "donor" at your local junkyard that you can strip all your parts off for, say, $3,000?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts