GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,I have a 2010 Equinox that has starte d using alot of oil.At 54,066 miles the fuel pump went bad and engine got lots of gas inside engine,pump was replaced but since it is taking a qt of oil around 900 miles,before the pump went bad it never went down between oil chages.WE HAVE ALWAYS DONE 3,000 MILE OIL CAHNGES,at 9,000 miles started using 5w30 val. durablend. Was just in shop for recall#09333 and replace right front bearing hub at 72,510 miles.wondering if others may be having oil problems? I am thinking there was to much gas in oil and maybe washed down cly. walls and now blowing by?Dealer said"comoputer tested.ckfor leaks,need to run oil consumption test" meaning change oil and watch,with I have been doing the last 2 chages anyway, thank you for any input

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
I haven't noticed any complaints about oil consumption. I would keep a close eye on oil consumption, and make sure the dealer makes it right - while under warranty !

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I would like to look into this for you. Please feel free to contact me privately with the last eight of your VIN and I will be able to assist you further. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Haven't noticed anyone here commenting on that, but I agree with the above. Do everything you can to get it fixed while under warranty. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
update on this oil burning ride! still taking 1qt oil every 2,000 miles or in 6,000 mile oil change you have to add 3 qts,NOW has 91,000 I have never had a auto in my fleet in my 25 years take this much oil, I have some with 300,000 pus that do not take a drop of oil between changes,also has alot of water on the fill cap when adding oil.Time to recontact gm.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same issue and same engine... did you find out what's the deal? I don't drive this as I have my truck but my daughter and my wife does. and when the oil go down it shows the engine light ON so I have to check and refill. What gives? :banghead:

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
notv8 said:
I have the same issue and same engine... did you find out what's the deal? I don't drive this as I have my truck but my daughter and my wife does. and when the oil go down it shows the engine light ON so I have to check and refill. What gives? :banghead:
I would be happy to look into this for you as well with more information including the last eight of your VIN. Have you brought this to the attention of your local dealer? Please feel free to contact me privately. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Does looking into the issues just another stall technique by GM, until the car goes out of warrenty? I have only had one car in my 45 years of driving that used oil..a 72 Vega. The dealer kept up the oil consumption test until oil useage got to 350 miles per qt. Then they replaced the engine and that one also used oil. I traded the car in after 3 1/2 years of ownership.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have read elsewhere that a quart every 2K miles is within acceptable range (I'm just a messenger, I know we don't like that). I would certainly keep an eye on it and not let it get to low before adding (also keep track of how much you add and at what milage).

·
Registered
36 Posts
My Equinox is an oil burner as well. Needs one quart every 850-1000 miles... GM says its "normal" vehicle has 22,000 miles on it and is the lovely 2.4 ecotec 4 banger that already has had a timing chain and 8 valves replaced due to engine damage from the sloppy chain. I feel sorry for the people that go by the oil change indicator which for the record does NOT tell you whether or not the oil is LOW.

I've always checked my oil, it's not worth something rolling the dice on but when I have to add at least 2 quarts through the life of a 3 month 3,000 mile oil change interval I do not find it to be either normal, convenient or economical. I do about 4 changes per year and the extra $15.00 per ea. change for the required added oil winds up costing me an extra 60.00 per year. I run full synthetic mobil 1 with a Bosch oil filter, I switched over to it at about 12,000 miles due to the extra oil consumption to see if it helped or worsened it and it's been about the same.

I have a 2007 Ford Mustang that takes 5 quarts of oil V8 and can go 3,000 miles without needing a single drop added. I also have a 1994 Ford Bronco V8 5.8 liter that has a slow oil leak that doesn't require any more than a 1/2 quart added at 2,500 miles.

How is this situation considered normal or acceptable? I wind up pumping as much oil into this 4 banger as I do my 94 Broncos 6 qt capacity.

I'm not pleased with my car at all, I just got it back from the timing chain repair that stated on the service repair work order that the SES was throwing a code that never actually tripped our check engine light on. They also stated they heard a loud ticking from the HP fuel pump which they had a bulletin on and threw a shield over it to muffle the noise... Sounds like a duct tape sort of fix to me. Car is still louder than it was brand new off the lot and still doesn't sound healthy despite having 8 valves, the chain tensioner and the timing chain replaced along with this "sound shield".

Driving the vehicle back from the repair I was listening for abnormal noises which proved to be difficult because suddenly out of nowhere our driver side seat is creaking and squeeking horribly over bumps and whenever the drivers weight shifts on the seat.

This will be the last chevy I ever purchase. I have always been a ford guy but this is my wifes vehicle who comes from a Chevy family and I thought it would be worth it to keep her happy and its been nothing but a royal pain in the @$$.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
eeks and knocks said:
My Equinox is an oil burner as well. Needs one quart every 850-1000 miles... GM says its "normal"

Ha,, yep, GM is full of sh#t[/color]

This will be the last chevy I ever purchase. I have always been a ford guy but this is my wifes vehicle who comes from a Chevy family and I thought it would be worth it to keep her happy and its been nothing but a royal pain in the @$$.
Well it does pay off to always do ones homework before making a major purchase - not purposefully jumping on you but there are lots of complaints on GM's 2.4 DI I4 engine and the headaches,,,, I'm sure you would have opted for the V6. [/color]

·
Registered
36 Posts
POLRCUB said:
Well it does pay off to always do ones homework before making a major purchase - not purposefully jumping on you but there are lots of complaints on GM's 2.4 DI I4 engine and the headaches,,,, I'm sure you would have opted for the V6. [/color]
If I would have done enough homework I would have proudly gotten my wife in a Taurus for a few grand more... I bought this vehicle because I "thought" I was doing my homework and it was my understanding that the 2.4 liter engine in the 2010 model year equinox was a "new" and improved ecotec engine introduced along with the new Equinox. The vehicle this replaced was a 3.8 liter 3800 series 2002 Chevy Monte Carlo SS. Being in the upper midwest as soon as an inch and a half of snow fell it was basically plowing snow being as low as it was to the ground.

I've had many vehicles in my life and I can say by way of mileage/age to problem ratio this is BY FAR the worst I've had. I did do my homework (I thought) I figured:

Practical as a family vehicle - Check
Good fuel economy - Check
Has warranty because its new - Check
Reasonably priced - Check

I will admit I didn't know much about cars back when I made the purchase. It wasn't until recently that I really started taking an interest in them. Had I known what I know now I would have never invested in the 4 cyl. and I would have said the hell with it. I have never been a 4 cyl. fan to begin with but for the price and warranty along with a low rate finance we received I thought what the hell.

Now I am just left :banghead: :help:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Additionally 3 close family members of mine are either current chevrolet mechanics and 1 retired after over 20 years in the field. Trust me, I had enough persuasion to go for it.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Ahh yes,,, persuasion,, that little evil genius ;D

I'm not a 4cyl. fan either, especially when its up against a two ton 'elephant' ;)[/color]

·
Registered
36 Posts
Jenniebeeb said:
"GM says its "normal" - I'm curious if *GM* said this, or if by "GM" you mean your dealership said this? ???
Actually the first dealer I took it to said it was normal, GM through an e-mail contact called me to "confirm" the dealers feedback that it was acceptable. The second dealer that I took it to said it was NOT normal and said it was related to the timing chain issue causing 8 of the engines valves to "twist".

·
Registered
196 Posts
POLRCUB said:
POLRCUB, I have not heard of any complaints against the 2.4 DI I4 which is new for 2012, are you confused or am I ?[/color][/color]

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
EquinoxFF1063 said:
POLRCUB, I have not heard of any complaints against the 2.4 DI I4 which is new for 2012, are you confused or am I ?[/color][/color]
I wouldn't consider the '12 2.4 to be "new". It was tweaked a little, but, for the most part, it is the same as the '10 engine which was pretty much, trouble free. The black marks it got in '11 were mainly from a poor parts supplier.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I think I was confused, a search indicated that Direct Injection DI was not new for 2012 2.4 Ltr, I thought it was. Seems it was Di since 2010.
Thanks RIT333.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts