GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - I just ordered a new Terrain and found this wealth of knowedge called "TerrainForum.net" during my research. I look forward to participating here, that is if I do indeed get my Terrain. I noticed that Fleetwire has the 2.4 engine listed on both their previous and current reports (2/24 & 3/11) as "restricted." Does this mean that the plant is not producing new orders with the I-4 (RPO code LAF) engine? Do you think I ought to grab something off the lot or are these "restictions" commonplace and temporary? Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, the order process is not going as I'd hoped. I ordered Cyber Gray. No go. That color is no longer available. OK, order Merlot Jewel. Nope, that's no longer available either. Finally changed to Olympic White. That has got to be available. In my frustration of trying to order this thing as I want it, the cost kept rising (my fault I guess). As I had to settle for second and third choice colors I added more options to compensate so I ended up changing my SLE-2 AWD to a SLT-2 AWD. With gas proces heading north I'm glad I stuck with the I4 though.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Yup, the metallic used in the Cyber and Merlot being from Japan those colors were cut. They are looking to resource the metallic from somewhere else.

All things considered, you are going to like the white though. Nice, clean, crisp white.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I was originally going to do Merlot, but glad I switched to white. Both colors are very sharp, but I have really grown to like the look of it.

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
Contrary to popular belief, white can be very dirty, and not look dirty. Conversely, black can be a little dirty, and look very dirty.

I would have gotten white, if my other car wasn't already white.

·
Registered
978 Posts
RIT333 said:
I would have gotten white, if my REALLY NICE LOOKING CORVETTE wasn't already white.
There...fixed that for ya... :thumb:

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
MOCHANOX said:
There...fixed that for ya... :thumb:
THX - but it's only a Maxima. Wiish it were a Corvette, but I am too practical in my buying habits - hense the Equinox, instead of a Camaro.

·
Registered
978 Posts
RIT333 said:
Whoops ! guess I confused you with another member...my bad :banghead:

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
MOCHANOX said:
Whoops ! guess I confused you with another member...my bad :banghead:
Plus, IMHO, Corvettes HAVE to be Red.

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
MOCHANOX said:
Ah, I'd trade him even up, but he'd probably want both of my cars.

You're excused. It does seem like many of the Theta owners have Vettes or Harley's as another mode of transportation. I suspect the avg age of our members is probably into the 50s. Any Polls on that ? Oh no - I can smell another Poll coming (I'm am Polish, so don't make any wise cracks !)

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
gmiemigrad said:
Don't recommend white for areas that use a lot of road salt - you will end up with "freckles" - orange spots from metal particles that rust on the paint. It occurs on all cars but is really obvious on white. Learned my lesson with two white vehicles and regretted it. It is hard to get off.

It is commonly called "rail dust" - it is usually from metal dust from train tracks/wheels when cars are being transported that deposits on paint and rusts. In salty climates, it is metal dust from the brakes that settles on the paint and rusts.
I have owned white cars for a total of over 20 years, and have NEVER seen what you are describing. But, I can eat off my cars, so maybe extra care prevents it. Plus, I am in a high road salt area.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I've seen it...years ago when I was in the "business" we used to acid wash new inventory to remove rail dust from painted surfaces.

Now they "shrink wrap" new cars before shipment...but not the whole vehicle so some acid washing is still required to remove the rail dust.

Folks living in industrial areas also get fallout on their paint and it takes an acid wash or clay bar or both to remove it.

A friend has to acid wash / clay bar his white Avalanche once a year from rail dust from a somewhat nearby rail line I found in his area after he started beotching about the orange freckles on his paint.

A really good wax job will help keep it on top instead of on the paint...but you still have to go thru the motions of getting rid of it.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Acid wash??

A good clay bar will remove all those contaminants really easily. Takes maybe an hour to do the Terrain.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Yup...a diluted hydrofluoric acid...it's in rim cleaning products and rust stain removers used around the house. It dissolves iron oxides and also works on hard water spotting.
If you use an acid wash you should use an alkaline neutralizer or even distilled water afterward to make sure the acid wash does not eat away your paint. If you do not neutralize the acid, the chemical will eventually dissolve thru a clear coat, and ruin the paint job.

I mentioned clay bar in my post...but clay bar will not remove etching and water spotting...this is where hydrofluoric acid steps in...it's not for the faint of heart...if you need this kind of work on your paint you should see an expert...safety procedures need to be followed...but the stuff works good and so far...I'm not suffering any noticable brain damage from my limited use of it... :facepalm:

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
I agree with Mochanox.
I ordered a new Corvette in 1992..then again in 1993. The second one had a very exceptional slick paint job compared to the '92. It set outside in the driveway for several days before pulling it in the garage. When I finally pulled it under the fluorescent garage lights..I immediately noticed 'spots' in the clearcoat. It was strange because they didn't show up out in the daylight(metallic paint)...but under overhead lighting spots where very evident in the reflections. To make a long story short..I took it back to the Dealer. It would not come off with claybar..although that did help the slight roughness of the spots. The Dealer called BowlingGreen and they sent two Reps up to examine the problem. They determined "acid rain"...and sent it to the local body shop. They did use a delluted acid on it...and buffed the clearcoat. When I picked it up...I was shocked...and the Body shop manager had a smile on his face. It looked like a glassy custom show car finish. He said that they were very careful as not to burn or harm the clearcoat..but the process brought the clearcoat out to high polish with great depth to the paint. To say the least..I was very pleased. Took it home..and a few days later handwashed it with the hose in the shady driveway on a nice summer day. The next day I pulled it back in the garage and turned the overhead lights on again. OMG..! The spots were back!!! I couldn't believe it..! Called the body man and he said to bring it right over. While looking at it..he said "let me try something"..and deluted a little CLR and wiped the finish with a cloth. The spots came right off. At that time CLR was used for cleaning 'lime' from bathroom fixtures(now CLR isn't recommended for painted finishes). He asked me if my water at home was limey(it was). The spots had a rough feel to them..but the clearcoat wasn't actually 'etched' although it kinda felt like it. So the first time it wasn't 'acid rain'...but only limey dried water spots! Kinda funny if you think about it after the fact. However..claybar wouldn't take it off..but the deluted acid did..and I did end up with a glassy mirror finish thanks to Corvette reps and the bodyshop. Needless to say..I don't handwash in the driveway anymore with our lousy water.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I like white (especially with chrome accents) it can appear very elegant. I've had two white cars at various times in my car history. I've not have the rust freckle problem but I know what you are talking about. I have, however, had a bug staining problem on both of my previous white cars. I live in an area where I have to drive along the Illinois and Mississippi Rivers at highway speed nearly everytime I go somewhere and get lots of bug splatter. If I don't clean the car the next day I sometimes can get a stain from a particularly "colorful" bug.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I think I'm giving up. The dealer said he had an allocation and that GM would pick up the order Wednesday. Now he says he couldn't put the order in because they aren't accepting anymore orders and I may have to wait and get a 2012. I've tried searching dealer inventories but nobody has an SLT-2 AWD with trailering pkg in the 4-cylinder and a color I like (white, cyber gray, or merlot jewel.) So... I guess I wait and order a 2012 and watch the prices go up again while my trade value goes down or go to my local Dodge dealer and look for a new 2011 Journey. I'm reading some nice things about them.

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
gmiemigrad said:
Well, I do keep my cars meticulate also - you could eat off the engine in my 2003 S-10 (115,000 m,iles) that I traded in for the Terrain. Didn't help the situation on my white vehicles which were regularly washed and waxed.

There could be an explanation?? Both of my white vehicles had rear disc brakes instead of drums. Don't know what else to say - have known other people in this area (Cleveland, OH) with white vehicles of various manufacturers all with the same orange spots. All have had read disc brakes.
Four wheel discs on one of the white cars, so may be just a difference in environment, although I am only a little more than a mile from RR tracks, but I park in the garage whenever the car is home. Maybe just a luck of the draw. Who knows ?

·
Registered
239 Posts
terrymc1 said:
Well, I think I'm giving up. The dealer said he had an allocation and that GM would pick up the order Wednesday. Now he says he couldn't put the order in because they aren't accepting anymore orders and I may have to wait and get a 2012. I've tried searching dealer inventories but nobody has an SLT-2 AWD with trailering pkg in the 4-cylinder and a color I like (white, cyber gray, or merlot jewel.) So... I guess I wait and order a 2012 and watch the prices go up again while my trade value goes down or go to my local Dodge dealer and look for a new 2011 Journey. I'm reading some nice things about them.
Are you in Canada or the US?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts