GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what are the friction washers between the crankshaft timing gear for? I have two 2013"s and one has one and one does not. I am rebuilding one and I need to know if i need one or not.

·
Registered
644 Posts
My 2010 had one, kind of a cheesy design I just re used the old one actually I think they are supposed to go in between the balance chain sprocket and timing chain sprocket to reduce wear so they don't vibrate against each other.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My 2010 had one, kind of a cheesy design I just re used the old one actually I think they are supposed to go in between the balance chain sprocket and timing chain sprocket to reduce wear so they don't vibrate against each other.
some have one, some have two, some have none. they have them at the dealer. I'm wondering what years had what.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I would use 2 there is a lot of wiggle room between the sprockets and timing cover every diagram I have found has 2 as far as I know from 2010- 2017 laf and lea 2.4 both should have the same crankshaft sprocket setup .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can't find info on this engine. i will need to know the crankcase bolt torque sequence if you would know

·
Registered
644 Posts

Timing cover doesn't have a sequence it just says loosen a little at a time until all loose... Idk if this is what you are looking for.. Are you doing a complete rebuild? Do you need torque specs for timing chain guides or anything?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
View attachment 17821
View attachment 17822
Timing cover doesn't have a sequence it just says loosen a little at a time until all loose... Idk if this is what you are looking for.. Are you doing a complete rebuild? Do you need torque specs for timing chain guides or anything?
View attachment 17821
View attachment 17822
lower crankcase to block, u know, main cap bolts.yeah, doing complete rebuild. rings were stuck,timing chain jumped. looked like it ran low on oil.thats the way it was when i got it so i took her all apart.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Yea I think your talking about the cradle that holds the crank in place. You also need all new bolts...

I would inspect the bearings on the connecting rods first, if those look good I wouldn't even touch the crank the crank bearings are close to the oil pump but if your rod bearings are toasted those probably are too.. The crank can only be removed with the engine totally out, same with the balance shafts. If you are planning on taking the motor out its a lot harder than leaving the cradle in place and just replace rod bearings, pistons and rings/ timing chain ECT... If you do remove the cradle I would start removing the last bolts first like loosening from 20-1.. I doubt the cradle will warp/ crack if you are careful.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea I think your talking about the cradle that holds the crank in place. You also need all new bolts...
View attachment 17823 View attachment 17824
I would inspect the bearings on the connecting rods first, if those look good I wouldn't even touch the crank the crank bearings are close to the oil pump but if your rod bearings are toasted those probably are too.. The crank can only be removed with the engine totally out, same with the balance shafts. If you are planning on taking the motor out its a lot harder than leaving the cradle in place and just replace rod bearings, pistons and rings/ timing chain ECT... If you do remove the cradle I would start removing the last bolts first like loosening from 20-1.. I doubt the cradle will warp/ crack if you are careful.
yeah, the crank and bearings looked fine but i had to take it out to bore it .020 because the rings froze and wore the cyl. some. clean out all the oil passages in the block and crank. the balance shaft bushings looked fine. crank is in now, time for pistons and rings. i really appreciate the info.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Piston rings need to be installed like this

Connecting rods are 18lbs then a added 100 degrees...
Main bearings lower crank to block 15lbs plus 70 degrees
Lower crank perimeter bolts 18 lbs...
Yea no problem. Sounds like it was pretty bad hopefully the oil pump itself wasnt damaged or the cam bearings... Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
View attachment 17825
Yea no problem. Sounds like it was pretty bad hopefully the oil pump itself wasnt damaged or the cam bearings... Good luck.
View attachment 17825
i got a new oil pump and a complete reman. head. the cam journals didn't look too good and all the valves were bent.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
do you know the torque for the balance shaft timing gear bolt?
No torque value is given in the GM Repair Manual.
The sprocket should not be removed from the balance shaft.
If either balance shaft is worn or damaged, replace as an assembly.

The two shafts are different and must be reinstalled in the same hole that they came out of.
If the shafts are installed wrong, you will notice a vibration when running the engine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No torque value is given in the GM Repair Manual.
The sprocket should not be removed from the balance shaft.
If either balance shaft is worn or damaged, replace as an assembly.

The two shafts are different and must be reinstalled in the same hole that they came out of.
If the shafts are installed wrong, you will notice a vibration when running the engine.
well, they have bolts so you can change the gear. from what i find it's 37 ft lbs

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
well, they have bolts so you can change the gear. from what i find it's 37 ft lbs
It's your choice, you can do it anyway you want.
I just thought you would appreciate the info from the GM Repair Manual.

Go to google and type in "GM 12587216".
This is the assembly they are talking about.

·
Registered
644 Posts

I got 89 inch pounds... I couldn't trust that so I just put the balance shaft bolts on and the chain and tightened them down good and tight till the motor spun

·
Registered
644 Posts
Just to clarify... Motor spun with no head on it and before installing the balance shaft chain make sure the crankshaft timing mark is at 6 I clock tdc #1 intake balance sprocket pointed up exhaust pointed down (I'm pretty sure they mostly point up and down on their own).... I just used a c clamp from the gear to the block to take off the old ones.... But yea their are upgraded sprockets aside from the acdelco factory ones that cloyes makes that requires just removing those bolts and I re used the bolts after cleaning completely the bolts and holes. Now would be the perfect time to replace the water pump.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts