GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just wondering how many of u guys have a 2.4 ecotec.. How u drive it miles speed ECT. All I ever hear is problems anybody actually like the 4 cylinder?
I own a 2012 SLT-1 AWD 2.4 Ecotech. I have about 36K mils on it. The vehicle has had meticulous maintenance.. This includes oil change every 3months, brake system service very 2 years among other things. I have experienced no issues at all with the engine.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Seen some pretty good awnsers thanks to everyone that replied it's pretty interesting to see how u guys are driving a lot of people in cold climate areas and a lot of people with mods here and there very cool.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I owned a 1994 Chevy Cavalier that had 2.0 L OHV L4. We had a head gasket fail at 45k miles but after replacing that we put well over 200k on that stock GM motor and auto trans. It was not a huge power house but scooted down the road fine drove straight and was very reliable. Never used or leaked any oil.
WTF? how does GM go from that in the 90's to this 2.4 with all these reported issues?

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
I owned a 1994 Chevy Cavalier that had 2.0 L OHV L4. We had a head gasket fail at 45k miles but after replacing that we put well over 200k on that stock GM motor and auto trans. It was not a huge power house but scooted down the road fine drove straight and was very reliable. Never used or leaked any oil.
WTF? how does GM go from that in the 90's to this 2.4 with all these reported issues?
The answer is. . Gasoline Direct Injection . . . GDI which uses a High Pressure Fuel Pump, low tension piston rings and results in lubrication oil dilution by gasoline injection into the cylinder.
That, along with a few other things. The 2.4L in our family owned 2009 Saturn Aura is still running well after 11 years and well over 100K miles. Basically, the same 2.4L block and design, but no GDI.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Thanks Jay

Really thinking about going back to old days and start changing my oil every 2500 miles again 👓

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Thanks Jay

Really thinking about going back to old days and start changing my oil every 2500 miles again 👓
I have continued changing oil on our GM vehicles pretty much every 3K to 5K miles like I have been since I started driving.
I'll go ~3K miles in colder winter months (sometimes less) due to more cold starts/idling and 5K miles in summer or if the engine was used on long trip highway miles.
Even with the "higher tech" synthetic oils we have today the gasoline direct injection oil dilution, low tension piston rings, and long timing chains and tensioners used in these newer engines get a lot of wear if oil is degraded. . . IMO anyway.
$30 of oil and a new filter is cheap insurance and who wants to deal with the dubious process of a warranty claim for engine damage if you do not have to?

21 - 27 of 27 Posts