GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just wondering how many of u guys have a 2.4 ecotec.. How u drive it miles speed ECT. All I ever hear is problems anybody actually like the 4 cylinder?
I own a 2012 SLT-1 AWD 2.4 Ecotech. I have about 36K mils on it. The vehicle has had meticulous maintenance.. This includes oil change every 3months, brake system service very 2 years among other things. I have experienced no issues at all with the engine.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Seen some pretty good awnsers thanks to everyone that replied it's pretty interesting to see how u guys are driving a lot of people in cold climate areas and a lot of people with mods here and there very cool.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I owned a 1994 Chevy Cavalier that had 2.0 L OHV L4. We had a head gasket fail at 45k miles but after replacing that we put well over 200k on that stock GM motor and auto trans. It was not a huge power house but scooted down the road fine drove straight and was very reliable. Never used or leaked any oil.
WTF? how does GM go from that in the 90's to this 2.4 with all these reported issues?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I owned a 1994 Chevy Cavalier that had 2.0 L OHV L4. We had a head gasket fail at 45k miles but after replacing that we put well over 200k on that stock GM motor and auto trans. It was not a huge power house but scooted down the road fine drove straight and was very reliable. Never used or leaked any oil.
WTF? how does GM go from that in the 90's to this 2.4 with all these reported issues?
The answer is. . Gasoline Direct Injection . . . GDI which uses a High Pressure Fuel Pump, low tension piston rings and results in lubrication oil dilution by gasoline injection into the cylinder.
That, along with a few other things. The 2.4L in our family owned 2009 Saturn Aura is still running well after 11 years and well over 100K miles. Basically, the same 2.4L block and design, but no GDI.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thanks Jay

Really thinking about going back to old days and start changing my oil every 2500 miles again 👓

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Thanks Jay

Really thinking about going back to old days and start changing my oil every 2500 miles again 👓
I have continued changing oil on our GM vehicles pretty much every 3K to 5K miles like I have been since I started driving.
I'll go ~3K miles in colder winter months (sometimes less) due to more cold starts/idling and 5K miles in summer or if the engine was used on long trip highway miles.
Even with the "higher tech" synthetic oils we have today the gasoline direct injection oil dilution, low tension piston rings, and long timing chains and tensioners used in these newer engines get a lot of wear if oil is degraded. . . IMO anyway.
$30 of oil and a new filter is cheap insurance and who wants to deal with the dubious process of a warranty claim for engine damage if you do not have to?

·
Registered
8 Posts
2014, 34k , 2.4l not burning OIL at all. Lots of short trips in the Northeast in cold winters, but the car is garaged. Unplugged both ends of the PCV hose last week and there was some brownish oil like stuff within that plastic air intake where the hose plugs in. Not enough to overflow into the hose though. On the lower side, the PCV ‘valve’ itself had a few bits of the same brownish stuff - thats what I could see from outside w/o removing the intake manifold. The hose itself was clean w/o any obstructions.
  • removed and drained the plastic housing where the PCV hose plugs in
  • installed ACDelco vented oil filler cap FC219 - fits perfectly
  • plan to make longer highway trips with the car once a week (it’s my wife’s car) during winter and using manual shifting to keep rpm’s around 3k. The idea is to create enough heat to hopefully dry out excess moisture. I feel that automatic up shifts very early to improve mpg, so that engine doesn’t get hot enough. Note that Im not a mechanic nor Chevy expert - just sharing my experiences and opinions
  • will also warm up the engine before driving when cold
  • 3-5k oil changes 5w30 synth
  • still using factory battery and windshield wipers
  • 0 repairs so far
  • will probably take it either to Chevy(if they are nice) or independent mechanic at some point for a PCV system test as per the GM bulletin 14882

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
My old '09 Malibu w/2.4 went to 190k miles and sold it running fine. Got it with 75k miles on it and always used full synth. oil changed via oil life monitor which was 6-7k miles between changes. It would only use 3/4 of a qt. between changes. Was a former fleet car but fleet mgr. monitored oil life via OnStar so it got regular changes before coming into my care.
I never even had to change the VVT solenoids, only underhood work was a MAF sensor and plugs in that time.

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
The non-gdi engines were probably much more reliable. Took awhile for GM to figure out gdi, as the other mfgs found out.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
The non-gdi engines were probably much more reliable. Took awhile for GM to figure out gdi, as the other mfgs found out.
Our old 2009 Saturn Aura XR with the 2.4L non DI engine is still in our family. Going on 12 years old, daughter has it and carts around kids and groceries in it since we turned it over to her in early 2015.
Other than oil changes and replacing the intake and exhaust solenoid valves for <$30 it is doing well at 140K miles.
We missed a lot of the tech that car has when we bought the 2015 Equinox LTZ. The Aura had 6 disc CD player, Blutooth that worked better than the Equinox, wider and a bit more comfy seats and it would do 25MPG around town and 32 to 36 MPG on highway trips to Florida.
It had plenty of get up and go for that car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Count me out as I’ve sold my ‘14 2.4l Nox. We no longer needed a third vehicle and Nox was selected as the vehicle to sell. It’s been trouble free for the 7 yrs we owned it since new and still had the original battery and windshield wipers. Lots of useful info on this forum that will hopefully help current and future owners. The car was sold w the vented AC Delco oil cap FC219 installed as no one brought it up during or after inspection. I still have the original oil cap in my backpack. I see this as providing help to the next owner just like this forum helped me w good info.
For new and potential owners of these vehicles (2010-2017 Nox/terrain) - v6 engine appears to be a better choice in terms of power and reliability. 2010-2013 2.4l have major oil burning and frozen PCV issues. Vehicles built after May 2013 have improved piston rings and should not burn oil - my ‘14 did not burn any at all, 5qts in 5 out. They still have the frozen PCV problem that causes the main seal blowout though and installing the vented oil cap fc219 is still a good idea. Ignore the oil life monitor and change oil/filter every 3-5k using full synthetic, not just dexos approved. Use top tier gas.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just wondering how many of u guys have a 2.4 ecotec.. How u drive it miles speed ECT. All I ever hear is problems anybody actually like the 4 cylinder?

The 2.4 in my 2011 Equinox is on the verge of becoming a boat anchor.

Been nothing but a headache since it rolled off the assembly line.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
Lol I agree,
e 2.4 in my 2011 Equinox is on the verge of becoming a boat anchor
Your motor should have already been used as a boat anchor 10 years ago. 2011 wasn't a good year for the 2.4.

the thing is you gotta have the knowledge to actually work on it time and time again which it's actually easier than Legos and cheaper than any other car. But if you don't own the tools and are primitive then steer clear of the 2.4.

·
Registered
2014 Chevy Equinox 2.4L
3 Posts
We have a 2014 Equinox with the 2.4 and it has around 64k miles on it. We live up north so the winters are pretty rough and last year the equinox did not have a good winter. Every time it started up you could just hear tremendous amounts of clacking and banging. That was because it was running on 2 quarts of oil.... I didn't really bother to check the oil because I didn't know about all of GM
's problems but once we changed the oil the noise went away and now its just the infamous 2.4 tick. I am changing the oil every 6 months so when I do it this September it has fresh oil for the cold winters. I am hoping the pcv system doesnt fail as it has to sit outside. :oops:

21 - 37 of 37 Posts