GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how many of u guys have a 2.4 ecotec.. How u drive it miles speed ECT. All I ever hear is problems anybody actually like the 4 cylinder?

·
Registered
195 Posts
2017 bought new, used as a secondary vehicle for shopping, kids to school and going to baseball / hockey tournaments etc...Mostly driving around town, stop and go traffic 15 - 30 minute trips each way and average 60 kms / hr. Have had no issues at all, only addon was a vented oil fill cap....help avoid the possible oil seal blowout in freezing temperatures. But the Terrain is kept in an attached garage, generally does not sit outside in below freezing temps. Fingers crossed so far been lucky with it..

·
Registered
52 Posts
I also bought my 2017 equinox new in May of 2017. It has the 2.4L ecotec and now has about 132,000 Km on it ( 80,500 miles ) So far I am very happy with it, no problems with the engine. Yes it is a bit under powered but I've driven much worse. I did upgrade the PCV system completely and added a " dirty side " catch can. When the valve cover was off the inside looked very clean. I believe that this engine needs frequent oil changes with good quality synthetic oil and filter. ( 8000 Km or 5000 miles ) I plan on changing the timing chain somewhere around the 150,000 Km mark as preventative maintenance. Earlier years of this engine ( 2010 - 2013 ) are known to have multiple problems but later years are solid.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah probak I am going to get one of those vented oil fill caps seems like they should have them from factory. I know my 2010 doesn't like cold starts. Mine has 125k miles it has been rebuilt 2x....runs smooth. Yea I understand the 2010s are bad I have floored it seems ok going to do frequent oil changes 150km is like less than 100k miles do u think the timing chain would make it further than that? I don't know I would hope so haven't had ANY timing chain issues yet just everything else... 3rd timing chain on it now. Completely stock head too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
2017 Terrain we bought new. so far really happy with it. i would not hesitate to buy it again but the oil is changed every 3500 miles and the trans fluid is changed at 10000 miles. now at 36000.

·
Registered
35 Posts
also as a side note if i bought any other GDI equipped car or suv i would do frequent oil changes just from what i have read about these engines

·
Registered
22 Posts
Pretty much all the equinoxes I see on the road are 2.4L. I have a 2013, I bought it just over a year ago and am changing the oil every 3500 miles and by the looks of the carfax the owner before me has changed it every 3-4k miles since new.

Mine is a bit loud on start up, I try to listen to other equinoxes to see if mine is different but they all seem to sound loud and have that tick.

Am getting the pistons replaced along with chains etc with the special bulletin for 2013s. Mine just managed to fail the consumption test. Think they are cleaning out pcv too.

Also have both the fc219 vented cap and the cfm one. Cfm cap is a nightmare to remove with your hands I don't know how anyone else can stand trying to take it off very tight fit.

Here's to hoping my car survives the cold illinois weather This year.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll be getting that fc219 thanks for the tip do they ever actually vent gasses though? Seeing transmission vented caps too... Thinking of going with acdelco oil out in hot california on the highways.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'll be getting that fc219 thanks for the tip do they ever actually vent gasses though? Seeing transmission vented caps too... Thinking of going with acdelco oil out in hot california on the highways.
To be honest I don't know what the psi was for the cap to actually vent all I know is you can not blow through it. So it must need some good amount of pressure.
All I know is that it was used in a bunch of other GM vehicles that had the same problem with rear main seal and freezing under a service bulletin. So it must do something.

CFM one vents non stop I can hear the ball bouncing around even at idle. Talked to another member on here and he said the same.

No one using either caps have reported rear main seal problems but there's always a first. I have two family members with 2013 equinoxes that still use unvented cap and have had no problems so I imagine it isn't as big of an issue as many have reported.

Doesn't get crazy cold where I am think lowest it got was -15f last year. So I'm sure it's a bigger issue further north you go.

Fc219 is a nice choice though. Plus its much cheaper than cfm

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the 2013 2.4 eco with 128k on it, I am second owner. Just had engine rebuild for oil consumption issue but my car never had a problem once I even went 9k between changes on a cross country trip. Replaced brakes and tires and routine oil maintenance is about all. Super reliable so far besides ac going out recently.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bought our '16 with the 4 cylinder new to use as a road car between Florida and NE Indiana, replaced a '12 Tahoe . Just turned 20,000 miles, routine maintenance. Added a 2" receiver to carry 'dirty' stuff outside the vehicle - power washer and what-not. No issues what-so-ever. Gets a consistent 30 mph in the ECO mode. Now, would I give up my hot rod or my pickup, no, but this 4 cylinder does all that we ask of it and I have actually come to like it more than the Tahoe.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Bought 2015 2.4 flex fuel new and only oil changes since ownership. Over 80,000 miles on it. Two months ago flushed transmission and engine coolant system, drained and refilled differential & transfer case by dealership. Replaced the battery myself. This vehicle do burn oil. I check the oil level every two to three weeks and top up if necessary. Noticed the TB has little black soot hoping the engine won't quit on me this winter.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think that's strange the 2015 is burning oil...looks like it's all 2010-2017 with 2.4 I put in really thick piston rings haven't had any oil loss yet...

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't really know what had happened. I checked the oil level on the 3rd and I had to add almost a quart of oil on the 12th, just one week. I'm keeping an eye on it... the vehicle travels at least 45 miles a day.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't really know what had happened. I checked the oil level on the 3rd and I had to add almost a quart of oil on the 12th, just one week. I'm keeping an eye on it... the vehicle travels at least 45 miles a day.
**** I am amazed GM kept using this engine for so long. I can deal with the oil consumption but the internal pcv is crazy

·
Registered
23 Posts
**** I am amazed GM kept using this engine for so long. I can deal with the oil consumption but the internal pcv is crazy
It is cold up north and I am worry the PVC will plug or freeze thus blow out the rear seal. I checked the ACDelco vented oil filler cap FC219 but it does not fit my 2015. The CFM is way too expensive for my liking. Look around the market I don't see many vehicles without problems. The 98 Safari van and 09 Torrent are totally great comparing to my 15 Nox and Traverse. Doing all I could to keep the oldies on the road.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It is cold up north and I am worry the PVC will plug or freeze thus blow out the rear seal. I checked the ACDelco vented oil filler cap FC219 but it does not fit my 2015. The CFM is way too expensive for my liking. Look around the market I don't see many vehicles without problems. The 98 Safari van and 09 Torrent are totally great comparing to my 15 Nox and Traverse. Doing all I could to keep the oldies on the road.
Amazon will tell you it doesn't fit said the same about my 13 nox. It fits just fine. Many people in reviews and questions have equinoxes and 10-17 use same engine so if it fits mine it will fit yours.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I checked with Rockauto and it lists the oil filler cap part number for a 2015 Nox 2.4L is FC242. I pulled the size chart it says Width-2.29in, Thread Diameter-1.393in and Height-50mm.
The FC219 Width-1.88in, Thread Diameter-1.393in and Height-53.1mm
That is why I stopped looking.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I checked with Rockauto and it lists the oil filler cap part number for a 2015 Nox 2.4L is FC242. I pulled the size chart it says Width-2.29in, Thread Diameter-1.393in and Height-50mm.
The FC219 Width-1.88in, Thread Diameter-1.393in and Height-53.1mm
That is why I stopped looking.
It definitely fits. Like $10 on amazon helps ease my anxiety. I'm either gonna be first one for main seal to blow with it and I can tell everyone or it's gonna work and not blow.
So I'm happy with my purchase lol. Have cfm too but it's a tight fit and is impossible to take off

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks. Will get that and give it a try. It would help to get a good night sleep and not worry about it all the time. Nothing better than sitting on a time bomb to keep the heart beating.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts