GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

81 - 100 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
I didn't see a test kit for $40. Can you provide a link for this?

Blackstone also provides oil analysis and many have used their reliable and detailed reports for years. You can request and receive a free test kit form them in the mail. You only pay when you send your sample in for testing. usually, you get your report within days of sending it in.

The Standard analysis is only $30.
Here is a copy of my first two on my 2015 Equinox .
Note - - this particular test for mine was only after about 3,000 miles since it was winter and had many cold starts, sub zero temps, and from wife's short drives. So I changed it early to get fresh oil in for the rest of winter driving.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Blackstone also provides oil analysis and many have used their reliable and detailed reports for years. You can request and receive a free test kit form them in the mail. You only pay when you send your sample in for testing. usually, you get your report within days of sending it in.
Thanks, JayTee. I have my first sample ready to go for Blackstone Labs. I'm just curious to see what Testoil has to offer as a comparison.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I can say with over 60,000 miles on an 18 LT2 2.0t I have only 91 octane a hand full of times. We get around 23 mph on Chevron 87 octane at 70 mph. I had spark plugs changed at 50k and they looked good a little sooty that I was told from running 87 octane. But plugs easily would of gone 60k no. That's my experience. On 87 Oct I raced a small BMW SUV and all he saw was equinox taillights. At 100 mph I started running away from him. That's my experience with 87 octane.

·
Registered
531 Posts
NO. The 2.0t gets that.. I wish 33 mph.

23mpg highway is amsutly terrible for the 2.0t. i’m at 52k miles and i’ve logged 49k of that with fuelly and i’ve never had an all highway trip with under 26. several tankfuls have been over 30mph. my overall average is 24mpg but my driving is about half city and half highway and i’ve towed a bit which drops the mileage a lot. i average just under 20mpg towing in the highway but my 2018 is one of the ones that keeps the vehicle out of 9th gear when in to haul mode, others have said that they can use 9th gear in tow haul mode... difference in programming i guess and the dealers i’ve talked to aren’t sure which way it’s supposed to be. 99% of my gas has been bp 89 octane and some shell 89 octane. the first 5k miles i played with different octane and 87 definitely showed a few mpg loss and it didn’t feel like it ran as smoothly or had the same amount of power. 93 octane didn’t seem to show any mileage gain and i couldn’t notice a difference in power. We don’t have 91 around here so i wasn’t able to test that. The only time i’ll run 93 now is of i know i’ll be towing. Hopefully only buying top tier gas pays off with less carbon deposits in the long run. Either way if you’re only seeing 23mpg at a steady 70mph, you are either using inferior gas or there’s something mechanically wrong with the vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
It is not about mileage. Small motor with turbo is always high octane. Not worth the risk of overheating the turbo by running lower octane. If you have had turbo motors before you know this. Also multiple valves generally require high octane. Go with manufacture requirements. Once again, just opinion.

·
Registered
531 Posts
It is not about mileage. Small motor with turbo is always high octane. Not worth the risk of overheating the turbo by running lower octane. If you have had turbo motors before you know this. Also multiple valves generally require high octane. Go with manufacture requirements. Once again, just opinion.

not to start a debate but the manufactures requirement for the 2.0t in the equinox is 87 octane. they recommend premium but the required minimum octane is 87. it’s a 4 valve per cylinder motor, the same as all gm 4 cylinders have been for the past 20 years and most of them did not require premium so the multi valve thing isn’t a reason for higher octane. the reason for higher octane is the higher final compression ratio or high boost levels. The LTG 2.0 in the equinox is detuned compared to when used in the cadillac ats or the buick regal gs. gm requires premium in both of those vehicles but they also make an extra 25-30 horsepower with the same exact motor and turbo. Supposedly by detuning it and through the use of knock sensors to retard timing it’s supposed to be “safe” on 87 octane in the equinox...They wouldn’t have sold nearly a many “economy “ suvs if they *required* premium. I chose to run mid grade all the time unless i’m towing in which i’ll run 93 when the vehicle will be under the most load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
976 Posts
23mpg highway is amsutly terrible for the 2.0t.

I agree, I don't remember ever seeing mileage as low as 23 when driving 70 mph.
At 70 mph I get around 30 mpg.
Most of the time I run 91AKI non ethanol. I can't buy 93 in our town.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Agreed! I did forget to mention the higher compression. Thank you too for pointing out the detuning. That makes a lot of sense. No argument necessary as I find value in all opinions on the blog. Especially when quality knowledge is imparted.
What about mileage though? Higher octane or lower? Guess that with so many different driving conditions these figures will vary. Also for us in Colorado the higher octane probably is beneficial for turbo longevity. At least from past experience.
I am just glad to run the v-6 and not be concerned with a turbo.

·
Registered
29 Posts
NO. The 2.0t gets that.. I wish 33 mph.
I gotta agree with the other people here, that is terrible. My 2.0t gets high 20's and even low 30's sometimes on the highway so something definitely isn't right. Even my fairly heavily modded v8 camaro gets better then 23mpg on the highway.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Wife just got back from a trip Murfreesboro, TN 340 miles, almost all interstates going up she got 31 avg speed was 67 mph coming home she got 29 avg speed 71. Used Shell 89 going Speedway 89 coming home.

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
Wife just got back from a trip Murfreesboro, TN 340 miles, almost all interstates going up she got 31 avg speed was 67 mph coming home she got 29 avg speed 71. Used Shell 89 going Speedway 89 coming home.
Good MPG. . . Murfreesboro . . . stayed there or traveled through numerous times.
Love stopping at Zaxby's for chicken. .. w-a-a-y better than any KFC. 😃

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a 2019 Equinox 2,0. Gm lists it @ 252 hp. It does not show it is detuned compared to Buick or Cadillac..

·
Registered
239 Posts
The Buick and Cadillac have the exact same engine but they make more horsepower, therefore your 2.0 is detuned... 252 HP.. It's not a bad thing

·
Registered
976 Posts
The Buick and Cadillac have the exact same engine but they make more horsepower, therefore your 2.0 is detuned... 252 HP.. It's not a bad thing
Which Buick with the 2.0 makes more than 252 HP?
There's used to be a Regal model with more HP but the current Regal makes 250 HP.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I've driven my 2.0 Equinox over 15,000 miles now. I figure with the difference in cost between regular 87, and premium 93 that I have been using; I estimate I've spent an additional $300.00 in fuel cost in that mileage.

I'll probably will never know if the cost vs risk was worth it, but I'm not concerned with the cost so much as some may be.

·
Registered
499 Posts
What is your measurement for risk ?
I guess that would be potential engine damage outside of the warranty period that could have been a result of using a non-recommended fuel, and the cost of repairs vs the extra cost of using premium grade fuel.

Reactions: RIT333
81 - 100 of 110 Posts