GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a rant about the horrible economics of buying the 2.0 turbo.

I've been using premium as recommended, I would use a lower grade fuel but am worried about causing harm to the engine, with how many overdrive gears these 9 speeds have, it really likes to lug and I'm terrified of LSPI. So, premium it is.

Alright now for the MPG part. On premium I'm getting 19-21mpg with mostly city driving and some country driving, hardly ever rev past 3k rpms and dont sit in traffic much. Now in southwest Ohio premium runs about $0.70 more then normal, normal fuel being $3.50-4 a gallon, that's a price increase of roughly 20%. So 21mpg minus the 20% premium fuel price increase, that's roughly an average mpg of 16. If this was a high hp monster that would be totally acceptable but for V6 performance, this seems like a poor trade off. My girlfriends V6 AWD Journey gets 22mpg and only uses regular fuel. Think my next vehicle will be a v6 if I'm looking for the extra power.

Anyone else fill the same way or have any tips for better mpg? Should I risk it and use 87 octane to save 50 bucks a month?

·
Registered
2017 Equinox LT 2.4 FWD
500 Posts
Davos, what's the availability and pricing of E85 like in your area? 1/2 and 1/2 premium and E85 would give you roughly a 40% ethanol mix which would be almost ideal for this time of the year in Ohio. Yes, your mileage will be even worse, but depending on the pricing of E85 in your area, your fuel cost per mile may be less, sharpen your pencil and see if it works. As far as the LSPI, ethanol burns much cleaner than gasoline, so you'll get fewer carbon deposits, which are the culprit in pre-ignition, small bits of carbon breaking off and scouring the cylinder walls, and/or possibly damaging the piston lands, rings, etc.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I would just run mid grade and be done with it. Won't hurt anything.

Good luck finding a V6 anything in the future. Even the Toyota Highlander is a turbo four cylinder for 2023.

·
Registered
228 Posts
garagerog said:
Davos, what's the availability and pricing of E85 like in your area? 1/2 and 1/2 premium and E85 would give you roughly a 40% ethanol mix which would be almost ideal for this time of the year in Ohio.
I'll just leave this right here.

Font Material property Parallel Publication Screenshot

·
Registered
413 Posts
Our lifetime MPG with our 19' Denali 2.0 is 27.9mpg. I use only premium fuel as I keep my cars forever and want the engine to last as long as possible. On easy country drives I can and do get 30+mpg but the wife using the car for grocery trips etc. brings our average MPG down. It helps that we live in a fairly rural area without a lot of hills or traffic signals. I am also very careful not to stomp on it all the time but on occasion I do give it an "Italian tune up" just because I think it might be good for it although I have no science to back up that belief. I do hate paying the extra for premium fuel but we really like the car and I want to keep it for at least 100,000mi. possibly 200,000mi. Compared to most other countries we are paying far less for gasoline than they are but $75.00 fill ups ARE painful

·
Registered
2018 Terrain Denali 2.0T FWD
276 Posts
24.8 MPG lifetime on my '18 Denali, per the DIC Trip B (which doesn't get used except for this purpose). About 90% of my driving is short trips. I take it easy on the gas, and the brakes. If I "feel the need for speed" I'll get in my '67 Camaro. That's not to say that I don't engage the turbo in the Terrain every now and then.

Except for a few tanks of Top Tier 87 octane early on, it's been Top Tier 91 octance. Finding 93 octane near me is not easy, Top Tier or not. I didn't notice any appreaciable degredation in either MPG or subjective performance with the 87 octane, but since I tend to fill up only one a month or so, to me it made sense to fork over a bit extra money each fill up as cheap insurance against LSPI.

And I get a bit less soot on the shiny exhaust tips. On the rare road trip there's nearly no soot, so it's usual presence must be due to the short trips.

·
Registered
325 Posts
In my wifes 18 Terrain with the 2.0 and SLT trim level, we have used exclusively from the first day of ownership, only 87 octane. She is now in the fifth year with over 50k miles and she still gets 9.1 liters per hundred lifetime. Whether you choose high or low octane is a choice that people can make, and its their money so more power to them.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Driving in town at 25 to 45 MPH 87 AKI is probably ok.
I always use 91 ethanol free.
With the rolling topography of Southern Iowa I get 30 to 33 mpg when driving 60 mph. Driving in town I get 22 to 24 mpg.
My wife's 2008 Malibu with the 3.6 gets slightly less on the highway and gets in the mid teen in town.

We we bought our 2018 Equinox with the 2.0 I test drove the 2.0, 1.5 and the diesel.
For us I knew we would not be happy with the power of the 1.5 and diesel and decided to put up with the higher cost of premium.

·
Registered
366 Posts
If they still offered the 2.0 in the Denali I would have gotten that over my Corsair. I think the 1.5 has plenty of power, its the way the power is delivered that annoys me too much. It's like nothing is there, then the turbo spools and you get a huge kick of tq that breaks the front tires loose, then no steam left up top. I could live with it if it wasn't so lazy on throttle tip in. That's why I chose the diesel. It felt very strong in all the RPM range that you would typically drive though it did stop pulling as hard after 3-4k. Which was fine for me, I hardly ever rev a car out unless I am passing someone on a 2 lane rd.

·
Super Moderator
'16 Equinox LTZ AWD 3.6
1,731 Posts
We would never buy another terrain now that the 2.0 is gone from the lineup. The 2.0 makes the car fun to drive
No more Equinox's for us since the 3.6 is gone.

Reactions: Crankme69

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you all for the replies! Has been a great read.

Garagerog I couldn't find much on using a 50 50 mix, other than people using it with tunes.

One thing I should of mentioned in the beginning, this car was a rental...(had to replace my Hyundai due to a extremely bad oil burn problem, test drove a bunch of Terrains and Cherokees and found this vehicle to be in the best shape for my price range)
Anyways hard to belive a vehical that recommendeds premium would be used as a rental and I'm sure next to no one who rented it used premium. With that in mind and having 60k miles when purchased, it probably doesn't make since to keep using premium now.
Part of me likes to think the vehicle ran premium in its life as a rental car 😅 and for reasons stated above I ran premium. With winter coming and seeing how bad my MPG currently is, for winter I'll try using 87 and maybe 93 again for the summer months.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I own an 18 Equinox 2.0L and do my best to get as high octane as possible. Its noticeable in mileage etc when i run anything less than 91. In the summer i could hear some pinging and started to use fuel octane boosters to stop that.
I have some experience in mixing the E85 to boost octane myself. What i would do is get zero alcohol 91 octane gas and then mix in 1.5 gallons of E85 to boost the octane up towards 93 and at the same time keep the total alcohol level below 15% overall in the mix. That solved any problems i had with pinging as well. Winter blends I'm happy with 91 though. Goin full boost/throttle with 87 octane is just not good for the engine. you can hear that occasional death tap occasionaly and that will kill an engine fast.

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L FWD 179k miles
4,611 Posts
@Davos 2.0 : maybe you should consider an EV for your next vehicle? Yeah, they’re having some growing pains right now, but the guys over at the Bolt Forum say these things have plenty of torque/power and, of course, no agonizing over which fuel grade to use ... just plug it in!

·
Registered
10,644 Posts
The "problem" that I see with electric vehicles is the price gouging that people see when purchasing electricity away from their home. While it should be cheaper when "fueling up" on the road, is is far from cheaper. It makes electric vehicles more expensive per mile driven than a gas powered vehicle.

I have been reading about the newest Toyota Prius Hybrid, to be announced tonight, and it looks like it will be a popular vehicle. Stay tuned !

Reactions: JayTee2014

·
Registered
5 Posts
@Davos 2.0 : maybe you should consider an EV for your next vehicle? Yeah, they’re having some growing pains right now, but the guys over at the Bolt Forum say these things have plenty of torque/power and, of course, no agonizing over which fuel grade to use ... just plug it in!
I also own a 2020 Chevy Bolt as well. Love it! I generally drive my Equinox once every few weeks and on vacations where i usually pack a ton of stuff and a Great Dane along for the ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
Electric cars are still a novelty item for the rich. Unless gas becomes unobtanium there will never be a financial justification for going electric. Sure the Bolt is affordable now (which should open a lot of peoples eyes) but it's still 30k for a nice one when a Spark or Sonic was a 20k car. The rates for electricity will be going up for sure too.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
I also own a 2020 Chevy Bolt as well. Love it! I generally drive my Equinox once every few weeks and on vacations where i usually pack a ton of stuff and a Great Dane along for the ride.

Good. . . [email protected]@D . . . . . . . .

Now tell @Colt Hero to go out and actually buy a Chevy Bolt instead of suggesting that everyone else should buy an EV and then let him know how it works out for . . . .. Them ! LOL

He's been on so many forums for . . . what ? . .. . . IDK . . . 12 years . . Saying he's gonna buy one vehicle. . then no. . .. not a low enough price. . . .. then .. . wait ! " Yeah. . .. maybe I'll buy an EV ! "

He's a good guy .. . but won't buy anything till his 2001 Impala dies. . .. or Ford. . . or something. LOL.
Meanwhile. . . the prices keep going up on everything. . .. . LOL

Ask @RIT333 LOL LOL LOL

1 - 20 of 43 Posts