GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if any 1st Gen owners have had to replace the head gaskets? If you did... Did you do it yourself or go to a shop? Any 1st Gen owners out there??? :facepalm:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi there. I haven't done the procedure myself but I know the Chilton Equinox manual has instructions on how to do it. I don't think you're going to find any guides on the process aside from that or the official service manual (which is kind of a pain to read through). I'd look there if you want a guide.

·
Registered
3 Posts
mine went out of my 06 at 58,xxx miles,luckily have a friend that works at a dealer...only cost me 1,000 bucks,i personaly think this engine is very bad underpowered and gets horrible mileage mine 18 on a good day at 60mph

·
Registered
2 Posts
Replaced mine at 112k miles, cost me 1000 in labor, fluid, and new spark plugs. I bought a complete gasket set off of ebay from Victor-Reinz for a good price. I'm not a big fan of Fel-Pro myself. Gasket cracked in the right bank left corner.

I had an antifreeze leak for a few days, thought nothing of it. Couldn't find it when it was cold, with the engine running, or after shutting the engine off. One day I started it up and it started over heating. I threw a gallon of antifreeze in there and it started POURING out... I heard the rumors, and even early failures, but thought if nothing happened in the first 100k I would be fine. I was wrong... lol

-Chaz

·
Registered
43 Posts
The LNJ engine is a relatively simple head gasket job, and the lack of timing belts, and a pushrod engine make it pretty straight forward. Basic mechaincal knowledge regarding torque sequence, proper tools and good prep and finish work can make the difference in an easy job, or a nightmare job.

Most common place for failure is front right cylinder, top water port, next to the cylinder compression seal on the gasket. As stated: The service manual is your friend.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
mbjr25 said:
Just wondering if any 1st Gen owners have had to replace the head gaskets? If you did... Did you do it yourself or go to a shop? Any 1st Gen owners out there??? :facepalm:
Just found out i have to do this as well as, a water pump, and heater core. $2,100 later.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts