GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Several people on FB on the terrain forum have posted about having a leaking oil pan gasket.. Guess mine needs back up on the ramps to check... Anyone here have this problem? One guy said dealer noticed it during an oil change and replaced it under warranty... Nice of them to recognize and then fix it Easy thing to let go and hope the owner doesn't notice until warranty is expired

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
A leaking oil pan gasket on an ‘18 or ‘19 vehicle in the year 2020 would be pretty shocking to me! 30+ years here and only replaced one oil pan gasket on my ‘97 Taurus ... and that was at around 180,000 miles or more (but I’d have to look it up to verify the mileage).

Did they mention where on the pan it was leaking? On my Taurus I think it was where the pan met the engine front cover. Ended up installing a pretty beefy-looking blue rubber gasket from Felpro. Looked like a gasket that would last another 200,000 miles!

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
The newer cast aluminum oil pans are much more durable than the old stamped steel ones.
The thing I don't like is the thin bead of RTV instead of a gasket.

Now the new ones are plastic , no more putting a floor jack under them.
Some have a single use plastic drain plug, sounds like trouble.

·
Registered
10,026 Posts
Wow, a single use plastic Drain plug is crazy. What are they thinking.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Ford has a recurring issue on their 2.7L Ecoboost models where the oil pans leak. Even resealing the plastic pan doesn't solve the problem. Some owners have reported multiple repair attempts with no resolution.

Hyundai was having a sporadic issue with leaky oil pans on late model Sonatas as well. Not sure if they resolved that or not.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Wow, a single use plastic Drain plug is crazy. What are they thinking.
I'll be clearer to everyone what they were thinking once they roll out the Chevy Legoev in 2036 ... LOL!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I read that a robot applies the thin bead of silicone and fastens the pan. Maybe the machine runs out of sealant sometimes.... worth a look under your car though, especially if still under warranty..No mention on those FB posts as to where the pan was leaking

1 - 7 of 7 Posts