GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
They are chrome clad. Somewhere on this site there is a thread about that. The outer chrome is plastic but built into the wheel permanently.

·
Registered
10,511 Posts
rickbb63 said:
They are chrome clad. Somewhere on this site there is a thread about that. The outer chrome is plastic but built into the wheel permanently.
Underneath, it is an aluminum alloy wheel, but, as pointed out, there is a chromed plastic wheel cover permanently epoxied to the outer surface. I am surprised that no aftermarket supplied is offering replacement outer caps that can be re-epoxied on the alloy wheel once the chromed plastic gets curb-rash. I guess you would have to grind off the existing cap, and all of the associated epoxy. Certainly, there should be a different, less permanent adhesive - maybe old-style "wheel covers" ! But then GM couldn't sell $500 replacement wheels. LOL

G

·
I have them. It's an aluminum wheel with a chrome plated plastic cap epoxy'd over top the wheel.

I was dissappointed when I found this out after ordering this $900 CDN upgrade...thought they where actual chrome. However; from a couple feet away you would never know the difference and they still do look sharp anyway.

If I could do it all over again:
1. I'd get the regular 17" aluminum wheel that come standard...which looks pretty sharp anyway.
2. sell the 17" rubber. Michelin Latitude Tours...good tire and worth a few bucks.
3. Use the 17" rims to mount dedicated snow tires on.
4. Go out an buy a didicated set of fancy 20" wheels and rubber for the summer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts