GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All

I am new to the forum and deciding whether to purchase a Terrain. For those who have the 19" wheels, is the spare provided with the vehicle also 19"? Thanks!

·
Registered
830 Posts
I think it's a 19" or 18" but it's a donut, a small lifesaver.

zoom2020 said:
Hello All

I am new to the forum and deciding whether to purchase a Terrain. For those who have the 19" wheels, is the spare provided with the vehicle also 19"? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
zoom2020 said:
Hello All

No unfortunately not - it's a 17" with a 145/70 profile - be interesting to see how GM will handle longterm powertrain issues under warrenty, since the spare is over 4" smaller in diameter.

I know I won't be using it.

·
Registered
482 Posts
IceBear said:
No unfortunately not - it's a 17" with a 145/70 profile - be interesting to see how GM will handle longterm powertrain issues under warrenty, since the spare is over 4" smaller in diameter.

I know I won't be using it.
How does the outside diameter of the spare compare with stock tire? If its different I believe that will cause some issues like AWD disabled, ABS lights etc.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Terra-Nox said:
How does the outside diameter of the spare compare with stock tire? If its different I believe that will cause some issues like AWD disabled, ABS lights etc.
well you should only use it for limited miles as stated on the tire, and stay under the restricted speed limit on the tire as well.....i really wouldnt worry about awd, as you sohuld be going right away to get that tire fixed...

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Read my post... its over 4" smaller - 4.18" to be exact compared to OEM 19's and 3.18" compared to OEM 18's

Terra-Nox said:

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Well each to their own, the tire doesn't state limited miles or speed.

I just know from past experience, once your powertrain warrenty is up, its very hard to prove that any differential or tranny issues were caused by something else prematurely and only then after 5 years is it causing a problem.

I'm just not going to take the chance. If it were out only less than 1/2 inch, I wouldn't mind so much - but over 4 inches, that's just asking for trouble I could do without.

I have inquired with my dealer to see if GM has any resolution to this other than their answer of run the spare and we'll deal with any issues later.

gar187er said:
well you should only use it for limited miles as stated on the tire, and stay under the restricted speed limit on the tire as well.....i really wouldnt worry about awd, as you sohuld be going right away to get that tire fixed...

·
Registered
441 Posts
you can keep a plug kit and 12v air compressor in your truck instead :)

·
Super Moderator
931 Posts
Space saver tires have always been much smaller that the standard tire that is run on the car and they have always been for temporary use only. Just enough to keep you from being stranded..and get you to a tire repair shop. Many cars now seem to be going to no spare at all with only a small portable compresser and a can of fix-a-flat (like my Solstice). I still feel much more secure with some kind of spare.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all for the helpful info. I am considering getting the 19" wheels & the spare did not look like it was 19" or even 18". Didn't know if using that small spare in the case of a flat would damage the vehicle in some way.

·
Registered
441 Posts
if you leave it on for a week, it could mess up the drivetrain, and suspension....if you do get a flat (you prob will since starting thsi thread) ;) just get it fixed asap.....

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
IceMan said:
Space saver tires have always been much smaller that the standard tire that is run on the car and they have always been for temporary use only. Just enough to keep you from being stranded..and get you to a tire repair shop. Many cars now seem to be going to no spare at all with only a small portable compresser and a can of fix-a-flat (like my Solstice). I still feel much more secure with some kind of spare.
NICE!! I share the garage with a Sol.

http://www.pasmag.com/features/top-rides/284-snow-bird

Published in PASmag Spring issue 2010 :) :)

·
Registered
441 Posts
very nice kit on it......they look horrible in stock form IMO...lots of potential though...

·
Super Moderator
931 Posts
gar187er said:
very nice kit on it......they look horrible in stock form IMO...lots of potential though...
....and,of course,I disagree..!

Here's my '07 GXP....I just love it..!

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Ahhh yes, very nice, nothing better then cruzin' with the top down in summer 8)

ICEBEAR is also related to a R35 GTR [GDZILLA] its in the same garage with EMILEY.

This weekend I'll try and get some pics posted.

IceMan said:
....and,of course,I disagree..!

Here's my '07 GXP....I just love it..!

·
Registered
481 Posts
gar187er said:
According to the manual, the AWD is disabled when the temporary spare is used.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts