GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Intermittently, the rear hatch on our Terrain unlocks and pops out just enough set off the dash warning, but not enough to be open.
It usually happens when:
  • Unlocking doors with remote or door handle button
  • Putting car in gear (reverse or drive)
  • Putting car in park
when this happens it's like when you try to close a door but it doesn't latch all the way. I can't actually open it, I have to kind of bump it to re-latch it.
I've tried all kinds of testing to see if there was some pattern to it, but it will go weeks being just fine, and then out of nowhere will start acting up, and then be fine again for days or weeks. It'll even be intermittent from trip to trip on the same day.

Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
'16 Equinox LTZ AWD 3.6
1,731 Posts
A full code scan of all 4 code families would be step one to see if any CAN system codes are present. CAN is the onboard computer network. Will not show up in a P code scan tool.
If no codes then maybe a bad keypad in the remote or an issue in the interior switch if yours has one. My '16 does.
Might even be a internal issue in the latch since putting it in gear auto locks the doors.
Just tossing out some possibilities.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A full code scan of all 4 code families would be step one to see if any CAN system codes are present. CAN is the onboard computer network. Will not show up in a P code scan tool.
If no codes then maybe a bad keypad in the remote or an issue in the interior switch if yours has one. My '16 does.
Might even be a internal issue in the latch since putting it in gear auto locks the doors.
Just tossing out some possibilities.
i have a basic p code scan tool. something like this for the CAN tool? GMC CANYON Actron CP9690 Actron Elite Autoscanner Scan Tools | Summit Racing

·
Super Moderator
'16 Equinox LTZ AWD 3.6
1,731 Posts
There are 4 code families, P , U , C and B.
A scan tool that can read all 4 is a must for one to properly diagnose today's GM vehicles. Some scan tools will only read ABS or SRS but not all 4 so research is involved to get one that is complete for the money.
A popular one is a BlueDriver that is smart phone based. I use laptop based AutoEnginuity program myself.

Reactions: Andy
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.