GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to boost it and drove to dealer as soon as it shut off it was completely dead again which is good because the service guy witnessed it when he tried to start it.
It has 3700 miles on it so it will be interesting to see what they find.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2018 Terrain Denali would not turn over 3 weeks ago and had to call for road service. Started when jumped, but not until the brake was pumped 3 times and then button pushed. Took it to the dealer who charged the battery for 2 hours. Battery tested OK. Was told that GM is aware that they have a problem with batteries being drained and they are working on a solution to the problem. Did not have a problem after that. Received my OnStar Diagnostic Report on 6/5/18 which indicated a Recall on the SDM LOSS OF COMMUNICATION (controls air bags) The report also indicated that the vehicle may "require immediate service" for "Low Battery" and "service soon" Called the dealer for appointment for the recall and the battery. When I took it in, I showed the Service Advisor the Diagnostic Report and he stated that both issues would be checked. The invoice I received only shows that the SDM was reprogramed with updated software. There was no mention of the battery problem. When I asked, I was told there's nothing wrong with the battery.

I strongly suspect that GM is having a major problem in finding the drain on the battery and that mentioning the service performed on the battery on the invoice would have been the second of the required 3 tries
at repairing the problem under NJ's Lemon Law.

Anyone else having battery problems on their 2018 Terrain?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just had a 2nd battery replacement today in a year.
Went to start it and nothing CAA came and boosted it took it to the dealer yesterday they couldn't start it today so they put in another new battery.
So I have a trickle charger on it now,see if that helps as its supposed to get real cold for a few days.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Wow.. my cel came on and my car died during the polar vortex. Battery also died while waiting on a tow truck and couldn't even jump it. They replaced the battery at the dealership.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Did you guys get any sign that the battery was dying ? Like longer cranking time in the morning...or dimmer headlights once engine is off (though with LEDs i am not sure that happens) etc. I am new to these glass mat batteries ..so are they just fine one day and then dead the next ?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Nope...but it was also -38 that day... from what my buddy said they're basically Optima batteries. And to charge them you need a charger that pulses vs a standard charger.

·
Registered
1 Posts
are you still having problems with your vehicle.I have a 2018 GMC Terrain Denali as well and 4 times now I get ready to start in morning and it is completely dead. Told there are no issue or recalls on this issue. Have you had any luck with finding the issue?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve had my battery die on my Terrain as well. They do take up to 3 hrs to charge from dead. I was told by the advisor that if your talking on Bluetooth with your phone finish the conversation or switch it to your handset before you shut off the truck the module gets stuck in a loop and won’t power down normally (kills the battery in an hour).

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2018 Terrain Denali would not turn over 3 weeks ago and had to call for road service. Started when jumped, but not until the brake was pumped 3 times and then button pushed. Took it to the dealer who charged the battery for 2 hours. Battery tested OK. Was told that GM is aware that they have a problem with batteries being drained and they are working on a solution to the problem. Did not have a problem after that. Received my OnStar Diagnostic Report on 6/5/18 which indicated a Recall on the SDM LOSS OF COMMUNICATION (controls air bags) The report also indicated that the vehicle may "require immediate service" for "Low Battery" and "service soon" Called the dealer for appointment for the recall and the battery. When I took it in, I showed the Service Advisor the Diagnostic Report and he stated that both issues would be checked. The invoice I received only shows that the SDM was reprogramed with updated software. There was no mention of the battery problem. When I asked, I was told there's nothing wrong with the battery.

I strongly suspect that GM is having a major problem in finding the drain on the battery and that mentioning the service performed on the battery on the invoice would have been the second of the required 3 tries
at repairing the problem under NJ's Lemon Law.

Anyone else having battery problems on their 2018 Terrain?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2018 Terrain Denali and have now had 4 batteries in it (counting the original). They keep telling me the battery is faulty. It has low miles and this many batteries is ridiculous! They ran a parasitic test and found no draw. GM must have problems with these batteries and won’t admit it. Anyone find a solution for these problems?

·
Registered
2018 Equinox 2LT 2.0T FWD V92
77 Posts
No battery issues so far with my 2018 Equinox. Now approaching 25K miles. Still have some time left in the extended CPO warranty.

I routinely disable auto-stop by using L9. I do notice that when I do a lot of short trips and forget to disable auto-stop, that auto-stop will remain inactive until I do a long highway run, apparently to bring the battery "health" back to normal parameters. I've never experienced any cranking problems, winter or summer, but winters here in northern Illinois, aren't nearly as cold here as many of our Canadian neighbors experience.

GM is banking on us all going out and buying their soon to be all electric vehicle lineup. It's not a confidence builder when they apparently can't even get battery management and/or quality right on their current conventional vehicle offerings!

·
Registered
698 Posts
I have the diesel and it is approaching 4 years on the original battery..above 45K miles on it. When you change battery look for date of manufacture. if you google it there is a code on the battery that tells you when it was manufactured, Donot buy anything that is more than 4 or 5 months old. Absorbed Glass mat batteries are notorious for dying quickly when left on shelf for 1 year or so. They are fantastic otherwise as you can deep cycle them without damage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My car died today as we speak. Went to work, came out 8 hrs later to dead. Never had an issue with starting it before. Waiting for AAA for a jump. Wondering though, someone here mentioned disabling the auto stop. How do you do that?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts