GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't seem to find a definitive answer to this. There are a few threads regarding winter wheel setups on the 2.0T, but no one has verified fitment.

Will the OEM 2018 17" wheels still clear the larger brakes on the 2.0T?

I would prefer to do a -1 setup from the factory 18" wheels.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I can't seem to find a definitive answer to this. There are a few threads regarding winter wheel setups on the 2.0T, but no one has verified fitment.

Will the OEM 2018 17" wheels still clear the larger brakes on the 2.0T?

I would prefer to do a -1 setup from the factory 18" wheels.

not a direct answer but this rumor has been circulating the forums for about a year now about larger brakes on the 2.0 and i can’t find anything to confirm it... gm doesn’t list it as a selling feature in the list of standard features on the 2lt trim level and gmpetsdirect shows that the rotors are the same between all trim levels so i believe the bigger brakes thing is just a rumor
with that said i’m in the process of looking for some 17”s locally for mine if i get them before you do i’ll let you know how it goes. also, all wheel websites, tire rack and others say 17’s fit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not a direct answer but this rumor has been circulating the forums for about a year now about larger brakes on the 2.0 and i can’t find anything to confirm it... gm doesn’t list it as a selling feature in the list of standard features on the 2lt trim level and gmpetsdirect shows that the rotors are the same between all trim levels so i believe the bigger brakes thing is just a rumor.
GM lists a 300mm (11.8”) front rotor for the 1.5 and diesel, and a 321mm (12.6”) rotor for the 2.0. Rear rotors are shared among all three engines.

https://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/vehicles/Equinox/2018.tab1.html

Informally, I can say that the radial clearance between the caliper and wheel on a 1.5L with 17’s is comparable to the clearance on our 2.0L with 18’s. I can grab a rotor diameter next time I have a wheel off.

with that said i’m in the process of looking for some 17”s locally for mine if i get them before you do i’ll let you know how it goes.
I know for a fact that a 17” wheel can fit with the right offset. I test fit a set of steel wheels the other day. They fit, but the caliper to inside face clearance was uncomfortably close. Radial clearance was narrow, but acceptable. My concern is that the 17” OEM wheel does not have a suitable inside spoke profile.

·
Registered
531 Posts
GM lists a 300mm (11.8”) front rotor for the 1.5 and diesel, and a 321mm (12.6”) rotor for the 2.0. Rear rotors are shared among all three engines.

https://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/vehicles/Equinox/2018.tab1.html

Informally, I can say that the radial clearance between the caliper and wheel on a 1.5L with 17’s is comparable to the clearance on our 2.0L with 18’s. I can grab a rotor diameter next time I have a wheel off.

I know for a fact that a 17” wheel can fit with the right offset. I test fit a set of steel wheels the other day. They fit, but the caliper to inside face clearance was uncomfortably close. Radial clearance was narrow, but acceptable. My concern is that the 17” OEM wheel does not have a suitable inside spoke profile.

my apologies, i was just going by info that i found online and confirmed with a dealer. (rotor part#’s) it’s probably too early for anyone to need rotors but hopefully they get the part number mixup fixed before people order the wrong parts lol. anyway which steel wheels did you try ? i’ve been trying to cross reference and find factory steels that would fit since my local u pull it sells them for $12 each it would be a dirt cheap winter option

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my apologies, i was just going by info that i found online and confirmed with a dealer. (rotor part#’s) it’s probably too early for anyone to need rotors but hopefully they get the part number mixup fixed before people order the wrong parts lol. anyway which steel wheels did you try ? i’ve been trying to cross reference and find factory steels that would fit since my local u pull it sells them for $12 each it would be a dirt cheap winter option

No worries - I wasn't sure either until I really started looking.

The steel wheels were borrowed from a friend. The bolt pattern was 114.3, so I wasn't planning on running them, but I knew they would "fit" for testing. They were aftermarket 17x7 Pacer 83B-7714 wheels: https://www.atdwheels.com/wheels/pacer/83b-fwd-black-mod/p/style/67852

They make a 5x115 version (83B-7718 ), but it's 6mm higher offset than the 7714. The 7714 was at most 2mm from the outboard face of the caliper, so I'd expect the 7718 to be a definite no-go.

·
Registered
268 Posts
17" wheels will fit on the 2.0 engine even though it has larger brakes.

I ordered 17" steel wheels and test fit them myself and they clear.

·
Registered
531 Posts
No worries - I wasn't sure either until I really started looking.

The steel wheels were borrowed from a friend. The bolt pattern was 114.3, so I wasn't planning on running them, but I knew they would "fit" for testing. They were aftermarket 17x7 Pacer 83B-7714 wheels: https://www.atdwheels.com/wheels/pacer/83b-fwd-black-mod/p/style/67852

They make a 5x115 version (83B-7718 ), but it's 6mm higher offset than the 7714. The 7714 was at most 2mm from the outboard face of the caliper, so I'd expect the 7718 to be a definite no-go.

the 7718 appears to be the same offset as our stock wheels? this doesn’t give me much hope for factory aluminum ones fitting since you say the 7718 won’t fit

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the 7718 appears to be the same offset as our stock wheels? this doesn’t give me much hope for factory aluminum ones fitting since you say the 7718 won’t fit
I don't know for a fact that the 7718 doesn't fit. I only attempted the 7714 and made an educated guess.

The 7718 is the same offset as the factory wheel, but the wheel's geometry is different. The face of the steel wheels are fairly flat from the hub mating surface out the to rim, with a substantial outer lip. The factory aluminum wheels have no lip, with spokes that have an inner profile that actually curves outward from the hub. The question is whether it's enough.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Offset can be created in two ways, or a combination of both on steel or two piece wheels. The shape of the wheel center and/or the position of the outer rim to the center. More often than not the centers remain the same shape and the position of the outer rim is adjusted for proper or close to stock offset. As I have posted in the past, I am using 17" OEM Buick Verano wheels on both vehicles but since neither is a 2.0 I don't know if they'll work with the larger brakes. I am going to be putting them on in the next week so if any dimensions I could check that may help in determining fit on the 2.0 vehicles let me know and I'll do my best to check them out.
One thing I noticed about some of the after market steels wheels is that the prices approach what I paid for the Buick wheels and that wasn't considering the additional cost of hub caps if you chose to use them. I also read one review where the buyer had to drill the valve hole larger to accommodate the TPMS sensor. If the concern for using aluminum wheels in the Winter when salt can corrode them, I've had good luck with spraying Fluid Film on the wheels. BTW, the bow tie center caps fit the Buick wheels.
Howard

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So... Not an exact answer to my original post, but I can at least confirm that 5715 2016-18 17” Malibu wheels will fit a 2.0L Equinox. These are 17x7.5”, ET45 with the same 70.3mm center bore and 5x115 bolt pattern (obviously). The slightly greater width and 4mm higher offset do not pose a problem (that I can see).

I can also confirm that 2.0L front rotors are the published 12.8” (321mm) diameter.

Radial clearance of the caliper to the rim and from the caliper to the inside face of the spokes are both about 3/8”.

Clearance between the inside lip of the wheel and the strut body is about 3/8” as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
751400 part number from DTD.

Those appear to be 5x114.3. People can argue the possible dangers of running that on a 5x115 bolt pattern, but the wheel is lug-centric (71.5 center bore).

5x114.3 in a hub-centric wheel is one thing, but I think you're setting yourself up for some potential vibration issues. It'll likely be very difficult to get that wheel centered on the hub.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Those appear to be 5x114.3. People can argue the possible dangers of running that on a 5x115 bolt pattern, but the wheel is lug-centric (71.5 center bore).

5x114.3 in a hub-centric wheel is one thing, but I think you're setting yourself up for some potential vibration issues. It'll likely be very difficult to get that wheel centered on the hub.

good catch, i hadn’t found them available in the usa so i didn’t even bother to look up the specs, i wouldn’t run them

·
Registered
193 Posts
Sometimes it's hard to understand these wheel threads and posts. Is it that owners are looking for a cheap alternative to buying new from the dealer (understandable), or that owners want a steel wheel so the wheels are less (?) effected by salt, and possibly cheaper?

As far back as the Fall of 2017, I have posted the results, (including mistakes), I've had in finding wheels for our 1.5 Premier and 1.6 LT to use for mounting Winter tires. Granted, this thread started as a question for fitting 17" wheels to the 2.0 vehicles but no one has actually posted actual experience with a steel wheel alternative with pictures. Pushrods seems to be the only poster who has done his homework. The Malibu wheel looks good as long as the width, (7.5 vs 7"), doesn't interfere once a tire is mounted. Offset difference should not be a problem.
The irony is that back in the fall of 2017 I found a wheel that is the closest I've found to our stock 17" wheels. (I realize this was before the 2.0 was available). The wheel I found to be nearly the same dimensions, (slight offset difference), as our vehicles was used on the Buick Verano. I believe that 2017 was the last year for this Buick model, but the wheels are available at salvage yards and are priced comparitively to the Malibu wheel. Based on the clearance I have observed when these wheels are mounted, I believe they will easily clear the larger 2.0 rotors and calipers. Notice also that the Buick had an 18" wheel option but I have no idea if there is more than one brake size used on this car. Here's the specs. on the Buick wheel:
Sorry for the garbled "paste" below. The info. was gotten from wheel-size.com and was a search using the 2016 Buick Verano as search criteria.

Specify make, year and model to find matching wheels:

Buick Verano 2016 Wheel fitment guide

Please, note: highlighted items are for OEM wheels
USDM Tire Rim Bolt pattern THD CB 2.0 Turbo 250hp 225/50R17 7Jx17 ET44 5x115 M12 x 1.5 70.3
235/45R18 8Jx18 ET46 5x115 M12 x 1.5 70.3 2.4i 180hp 225/50R17 7Jx17 ET44 5x115 M12 x 1.5 70.3
235/45R18 8Jx18 ET46 5x115 M12 x 1.5 70.3

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sometimes it's hard to understand these wheel threads and posts. Is it that owners are looking for a cheap alternative to buying new from the dealer (understandable), or that owners want a steel wheel so the wheels are less (?) effected by salt, and possibly cheaper?

As far back as the Fall of 2017, I have posted the results, (including mistakes), I've had in finding wheels for our 1.5 Premier and 1.6 LT to use for mounting Winter tires. Granted, this thread started as a question for fitting 17" wheels to the 2.0 vehicles but no one has actually posted actual experience with a steel wheel alternative with pictures.

Your data is good, if someone chooses to use those specific Buick Verano wheels on a 1.5L or diesel. I could not find a set for less than $700. I didn't care to experiment with 2.0L fitment at that price point.

I did actually post my own steel wheel findings, with part numbers, in this very thread. Short version: the specific wheel I tried did not fit properly.

My set of Malibu wheels were less than $400, including center caps and a set of TPMS sensors. Given the specs, they passed my risk tolerance threshold. And they work.

More data points and more documentation are always a good thing. Not everyone has the appetite for trial and error, so building a reference list can be helpful.
Can't find Verano wheels? Or still don't want to risk 2.0L fitment with them? Try these Malibu wheels instead. Diameter, width, offset, center bore, bolt pattern - these are critical dimensions, but they don't always tell the whole story. Hopefully someone else continues the work with other wheels.

We do the same thing on the SS forums. There's a series of stickied threads that capture factory and aftermarket wheel and tire fitments. It made picking up a set of Camaro LT wheels for winter use a non-issue.

As far as steel wheels versus aluminum with salt/brine exposure, you've got it backwards. Steel wheels are far cheaper. They're also far heavier. It's a trade-off.
Some people prefer them for perceived durability. Frankly, on an Equinox, it probably doesn't much matter. There's ample sidewall for protection. In the end, I have no problem with either, and have used both for many years. If I'd found a set that worked first, I'd have used them.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Pushrods, You may have misunderstood me regarding the cost of steel vs aluminum wheels. I indicated that the lower price for steel wheels might be the incentive for pursuing their availability. When I referred to using a steel wheel alternative, I meant a successful trial. So far there have been none with the NOS specs. or as close as the Buick or Malibu wheels. As far as the price for the Buick wheels I'm using; I paid an average of $90 ea. for all 8 of the ones I'm using. I don't blame you for not taking a chance of proper fit based on the prices you're finding. I found mine by using Hollanderparts.com within 100 miles of where I live and on the way to areas I regularly visit. I did another search on Hollander and found that it IS possible to pay prices like you found and even more, but when I sorted by price I found wheels in very good to excellent condition for less than I paid. Of course the price for shipping may make the total cost prohibitive as it would be to ship the Malibu wheels.

If I could find someone in my area that has a 2.0 and was willing to let me try one of the Buick wheels, I would welcome the opportunity so I could share the information on this forum. All I can share now is there is quite a bit of space to the outside of the calipers and on the circumference.

I'm not an agent for Buick wheel sales but, for the price I paid and the closer dimensions to the stock wheel I find them a better choice, (for the 1.5 and 1.6) so far. If the salvage world ran out of Verano wheels, I would certainly go for the Malibu wheels.
Here's what I found on Hollander's:
https://www.hollanderparts.com/used-auto-parts/2015/buick/verano/wheels/560-wheel/560-04110-17x7,-(10-spoke,-opt-pnm)
Sort by price or closest location for the whole story.
Howard

·
Registered
531 Posts

As far back as the Fall of 2017, I have posted the results, (including mistakes), I've had in finding wheels for our 1.5 Premier and 1.6 LT to use for mounting Winter tires. Granted, this thread started as a question for fitting 17" wheels to the 2.0 vehicles but no one has actually posted actual experience with a steel wheel alternative with pictures. Pushrods seems to be the only poster who has done his homework. The Malibu wheel looks good as long as the width, (7.5 vs 7"), doesn't interfere once a tire is mounted. Offset difference should not be a problem.
The irony is that back in the fall of 2017 I found a wheel that is the closest I've found to our stock 17" wheels. (I realize this was before the 2.0 was available). The wheel I found to be nearly the same dimensions, (slight offset difference), as our vehicles was used on the Buick Verano. I believe that 2017 was the last year for this Buick model, but the wheels are available at salvage yards and are priced comparitively to the Malibu wheel. Based on the clearance I have observed when these wheels are mounted, I believe they will easily clear the larger 2.0 rotors and calipers. Notice also that the Buick had an 18" wheel option but I have no idea if there is more than one brake size used on this car. Here's the specs. on the Buick wheel:
Sorry for the garbled "paste" below. The info. was gotten from wheel-size.com and was a search using the 2016 Buick Verano as search criteria.

Specify make, year and model to find matching wheels:

Buick Verano 2016 Wheel fitment guide

Please, note: highlighted items are for OEM wheels
USDM Tire Rim Bolt pattern THD CB 2.0 Turbo 250hp 225/50R17 7Jx17 ET44 5x115 M12 x 1.5 70.3
235/45R18 8Jx18 ET46 5x115 M12 x 1.5 70.3 2.4i 180hp 225/50R17 7Jx17 ET44 5x115 M12 x 1.5 70.3
235/45R18 8Jx18 ET46 5x115 M12 x 1.5 70.3

i wish i could find aluminum wheels around here for the price you did, most laces want $125-200 per wheel and of course it’s a “no cash refund “ so if they don’t work i can only return for junk yard credit. that’s why i have not done any “hands on “ research if i had a 1.5 i would have been much less hesitant to go grab some wheels, most newer gm fwd wheels should work and the research you did was helpful. i’m just concerned with the bigger brakes on the 2.0 i’ve done countless hours of research online and all i’ve come up with is that nobody has done it yet. well until the guy above posted 17” steels with the wrong bolt pattern lol Like i said i appreciate ur research and for people with the small brakes it makes it a clear answer as to what fits

·
Registered
193 Posts
i wish i could find aluminum wheels around here for the price you did, most laces want $125-200 per wheel and of course it’s a “no cash refund “ so if they don’t work i can only return for junk yard credit. that’s why i have not done any “hands on “ research if i had a 1.5 i would have been much less hesitant to go grab some wheels, most newer gm fwd wheels should work and the research you did was helpful. i’m just concerned with the bigger brakes on the 2.0 i’ve done countless hours of research online and all i’ve come up with is that nobody has done it yet. well until the guy above posted 17” steels with the wrong bolt pattern lol Like i said i appreciate ur research and for people with the small brakes it makes it a clear answer as to what fits

At this time I don't know anyone that I could ask to try the Verano wheels on a 2.0 vehicle. If I ever get a chance to try them on a 2.0 I will post the results so at least owners would have another option. The two salvage yards I did business with agreed to a full refund if they didn't work. They also said they had no problem if I wanted bring a jack and necessary tools to try them at their location. The deal breaker may be shipping cost if wheels aren't avaiable at a local yard.
Howard

1 - 20 of 20 Posts