GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i figured out my weird starting problem on a previous post. I have a bad head gasket. That is why i have CYL 5 misfire and the starter was frying out. Maybe had some hydrolock going on with the cylinder. And of course 500 miles over warranty. And since once it got started up it ran fine i should be ok with replacing the head gaskt and i assume everything will be fine since it runs good when it finally started. or since the motor has to be dropped should i go ahead and replace both? And do you think i have a fight with GM about only being 500 over on warranty? Or is that a lost cause. Anyone with a similar situation please let me know what my best options are as far as it getting fixed

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
...I’d call GM Customer Service and see if they’ll at least cover part of the repair once a dealer confirms that’s what it is...
...then again, if GM covers 1/2, but you have to use a dealer, might be cheaper to just have it done at your preferred independent shop...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah just have to find a good shop. At least with the dealer I know it will be done right

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Yeah just have to find a good shop. At least with the dealer I know it will be done right
Most GM dealers will give you a 12 month, 12,000 mile warranty on a repair.

A bad head gasket on a V-6 is very rare, GM might help out as BandDirector has suggested.
If not, I would do both head gaskets as long as you are in there, both probably came from the same batch and installed by the same person.
Also if you are planning to keep it for awhile, do the timing chain, guides, and water pump as long as you are right there.

Reactions: christopherlompoc

·
Registered
535 Posts
Most GM dealers will give you a 12 month, 12,000 mile warranty on a repair.
OMG I WISH I KNEW THAT! I had problems right after a repair even talked to the manager of the dealership they left me hanging like less than 10k or even immediately after they "Fixed" oil consumption...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts