GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my starter just fried out from the inside. It was doing this weird hesitation thing every day for a few weeks when starting it up. There was one day where it started up fine. Then back to the weird starting the next day. What would cause it to work so hard to start the motor that it would completely fry out?? HELP

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Was it like a split second delay when you turned the key (normal sometimes), or after the starter actually engaged, it still struggled?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was it like a split second delay when you turned the key (normal sometimes), or after the starter actually engaged, it still struggled?
it was more like a few seconds. I have a video of it but i cannot upload it on here. Once it started it was fine

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
So you’ve already pulled it and had it tested to confirm it’s the starter?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So you’ve already pulled it and had it tested to confirm it’s the starter?
It was definitely the starter. The smoke coming from it saturday and the burnt smell confirmed it. Just got it back from the shop. So far so good. But i am just curious what would cause it to get fried like it did.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I’d start by having the charging system checked. I suppose it’s possible if the voltage regulator is going bad on the alternator, and causing surges, that could fry a starter... then again, since the motor isn’t actually running yet when the starter is being engaged, that may be a long shot...

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I suppose it’s possible if the voltage regulator is going bad on the alternator, and causing surges, that could fry a starter...
Voltage regulator is located in the Engine Control Module.

·
Registered
231 Posts
it was more like a few seconds. I have a video of it but i cannot upload it on here. Once it started it was fine
You can upload to YouTube and then past the link here

2014 Terrain SLE-2 /Silver Sky Metallic / 3.6 L V6 / AWD / Pioneer Stereo / 85,600 miles as of March 2021

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
🤔. So does that make it more or less likely a possibility? 🤔
I would guess about the same, any electronic component can malfunction at any time.
With the voltage regulator in the ECM, you can monitor it closer with the scanner and trouble codes.
The downside is if you get a malfunction, you will have to replace/reflash the ECM.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Just a bad starter. Only thing that could affect it is driving through flood waters and water getting into it.
Starter is the biggest power user in the vehicle, draws the most amps.
The rest of the electronics would totally fry out from charging system issues before the starter even got a touch warm. Besides starter is disengaged by the time a alternator is even getting up to speed to supply a charge.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a bad starter. Only thing that could affect it is driving through flood waters and water getting into it.
Starter is the biggest power user in the vehicle, draws the most amps.
The rest of the electronics would totally fry out from charging system issues before the starter even got a touch warm. Besides starter is disengaged by the time a alternator is even getting up to speed to supply a charge.
New starter put in yesterday. New Delco unit. I t was fine after picking it up yesterday and the few places i went to afterward it started right up. Just went out to start it up for the first time today ( 6pm) and it did the same thing. On the third try after having the key turned for about 5-10 seconds did it start up. I am beyond frustrated. Something electrical has to be going on.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Battery condition? Both times I’ve replaced the battery in my ‘15 V6 Nox, one of the symptoms was a delay in the starter engaging after I turned the key...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Battery condition? Both times I’ve replaced the battery in my ‘15 V6 Nox, one of the symptoms was a delay in the starter engaging after I turned the key...
I had the battery tested. It was fine. But would would cause the starter to get fried out like it did

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
This may sound crazy but did you check for trouble codes?

The alternator uses a PWM pulse to charge, I'm thinking it's running wide open, 100% duty cycle.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This may sound crazy but did you check for trouble codes?

The alternator uses a PWM pulse to charge, I'm thinking it's running wide open, 100% duty cycle.
check engine has been on for a while. scanned it today and P050D came up. cold start misfire. I also notice that the remote start does not work anymore

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
You got a new starter solenoid with the new starter right??
Next I would get into the relays or possibly the ignition switch.
Sometimes electrical problems aren't easy.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Just because battery tested OK doesn't mean it's OK.
In the last 15 yrs I have had 3 batteries fail from the batteries internal connector opening up. 2 Auto Zone ones and one Die Hard. Carry the battery's into store and they would load test OK. All were still in warranty over a year old. The first warranty replacement battery that failed again you could smack the battery and the car would start.
Starter burning up could have overloaded / damaged the battery.
My '16 'nox's OEM battery went bad in '19 so a '17's failing is not out of the question.

Reactions: arcee
1 - 20 of 22 Posts