GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum. I recently bought a new 2012 Eqinox 1LT with V6 AWD about 3 weeks ago. I am very impressed with the vehicle's build quality. One thing that really bothers me is the tires. The 17" Michelin Lattitude "low rolling resitance touring tires" feel hard on all road surfaces and noisy on many road surfaces. To me this degrades the otherwise controlled, quiet vehicle ride. Do I have bad tires or are they all this way? Anyone have a similar complaint? Do I have any recourse from the dealer or from GM or from Michelin? Tirerack says these are smooth, quiet tires but I disagreee. I even feel a small amount of roughness in the floor and steering wheel depending on the type of payment. They will probably wear like iron but so what.....I was expecting a quieter ride from a $30k+ vehicle. Comments greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Re: Michelin Lattitude Tire Noise

I also have a 2012 Eqinox AWD with those tires. I am not having any unusual noise or hardness problems with them.

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
Re: Michelin Lattitude Tire Noise

ptco911 said:
I also have a 2012 Eqinox AWD with those tires. I am not having any unusual noise or hardness problems with them.
Same here, but with FWD. No complaints at all. I also have the Michelin Latitude snows, and also very quiet.

BTW - I have the 17"ers.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I agree that the latitudes aren't the softest riding tires around, but I think the tire noise has more to do with the fact that the rest of the vehicle is so quiet, yet there doesn't seem to be any wheel well insulation. Also, the latitudes are known for long tread life...which means a harder compound.

·
Registered
482 Posts
My hearing isn't good, but most of the time ours on our Terrain are pretty quiet. When brand new last Feb when the suspension and components were a bit stiff the ride was not real great. My wife was totaly un-impressed when she drove it the first time, over frost heaved back roads (much better now). I do have a vague recollection of it being more noisey then also.

·
Registered
361 Posts
these are the quietest tires i have ever owned. try nitto terra grapplers. or sumitomo htrz II's.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Same tires here, nothing unusual, not enough for me to notice any noise. What air pressure are you running? Mine are set to 36 psi.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have the 17" on my 2011 Nox and 18" on my 2011 Terrain and there is no discernible noise difference when driving each; the 18's do seem to ride a little harder though, IMHO.

Good luck and enjoy your new truck.

·
Registered
673 Posts
EquinoxFF1063 said:
Same tires here, nothing unusual, not enough for me to notice any noise. What air pressure are you running? Mine are set to 36 psi.

coming from a $300 a pc tire to these $150-200 there is road noise.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts