GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just about ready to order a 2012 Terrain (SLT1) and sending our 2003 Buick Rendezvous to a new home. However, I have a set of 16" snow tires that will fit perfectly (ie: overall diameter matches perfectly to the 18" stock rims on the Terrain). These tires worked amazingly on my Vous.

I have searched on this forum and many have said they don't 'think' 16" rims will fit (tire rack doesn't list this an option). However, I want to be absolutely sure as I don't want to lose out on $500 on really good snow tires for no reason.

Has anyone actually tried to put a 16" 5x120 rim on a Nox or Terrain? Is it the diameter that is a problem or the offset?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
315 Posts
You can find 16 that will fit, the issue is the brakes, we have fairly large front brakes.

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
grometsc said:
You can find 16 that will fit, the issue is the brakes, we have fairly large front brakes.
So, I guess when you say they'll fit, you're saying that if you remove the calipers, then clearance will not be a problem. To me, I would say that they don't fit if that is the case.

I supposed we could run with 13" wheels/tires if we wanted to remove the brakes and rotors - LOL.

Sorry for my semantics.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I would say you have very little reading comprehension.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would check this out myself if I actually had the truck :mad:

It sounds like there is diameter clearance to accept a 16" rim, but the offset is critical to keep the rim off of the face of the caliper.

I am going to head down to the dealership and see if I can measure up the clearances around the rim.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
grometsc said:
I would say you have very little reading comprehension.
My English teachers always told me that. Guess that's why I went into Engineering.

However, I still think I am right. Until you can show me a picture of a Gen 2 Equinox with a 16" wheel mounted and the brake calipers still on the car, then I would say that they don't fit.

:soapbox:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RIT333,

Then from one engineer to another (I am a Engineer as well), is the issue with diametrical interference (outer edge of the caliper will not fit in the diameter of the rim) or endface interference (rim will get over the caliper but cannot mount on the hub as the backside of the rim contacts the caliper face)?

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
tygriff said:
RIT333,

Then from one engineer to another (I am a Engineer as well), is the issue with diametrical interference (outer edge of the caliper will not fit in the diameter of the rim) or endface interference (rim will get over the caliper but cannot mount on the hub as the backside of the rim contacts the caliper face)?
You, are AN Engineer, not A Engineer - so you, also, are "verbally" challenged !

But, in looking at the fit of the 17" wheel, and the little clearance, I would guess that it is the diametrical interference.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Please try to keep the flaming to a minimum here.

I was actually responding in my last post as a fellow engineer and used wording that a 'layman' may not have understood (ie: diametrical and endface interference). This was not a knock at you. It was actually done to provide clarity between us. Which in the end, I think it did.

As for the grammatical errors, I apologize. Perhaps that is why am an Engineer. I am better with a calculator and numbers than I am with words ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts