GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not about to run to the dealer to have any of these things checked just yet, but I find them troubling for a BRAND NEW vehicle:

1.) Power Steering Groan/Moan: This has been going on pretty much since the 2nd week of driving. Could be low fluid (haven't checked), could be more. Shouldn't be happening with a BRAND NEW vehicle. Power steering pumps fail after 150,000 miles, not after 1/100 of that.

2.) Single "CLOP" sound when turning the wheel from a stopped position: Sure sounds like a CV-joint noise to me. It only does it ONCE, and usually in the morning after I start the car and turn the wheel to take off. But I think I've ALSO heard it later in the day, too. Although there's no reason to believe the CV boots are damaged, I'll have to get underneath and inspect to be sure. Even if the boot was ripped wide open, the joint wouldn't be failing THIS soon under the conditions the car has been driving in, so my guess is this problem may somehow be related to #1 above.

3.) Vehicle makes a "jelopy-like" sound on start-up: This just started last week and has happened twice now. I turn the key and there is a noise that I can't describe other than to say it's a sound that a jelopy would make. The car starts up, but very sloppily - like a false start. It's a sound that junk cars make when they're started. Kind of like a training-wheels/popping/farting noise. Sorry, don't know how else to describe it...

4.) Transmission seems "soft" to me. Although I haven't noticed it on the tach, the transmission sounds like it 'free-spins' when changing gears. Its gear-changing is very 'wishy-washy'. It's definitely not a crisp-shifting transmisison. Maybe that's just the way it is and maybe it'll last longer that way, but I don't like it. To me, it feels like a transmission destined for failure.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Why wouldn't you take it to the dealer to be checked?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Colt Hero said:
2.) Single "CLOP" sound when turning the wheel from a stopped position: Sure sounds like a CV-joint noise to me. It only does it ONCE, and usually in the morning after I start the car and turn the wheel to take off. But I think I've ALSO heard it later in the day, too. Although there's no reason to believe the CV boots are damaged, I'll have to get underneath and inspect to be sure. Even if the boot was ripped wide open, the joint wouldn't be failing THIS soon under the conditions the car has been driving in, so my guess is this problem may somehow be related to #1 above.
Most likely ABS self test

·
Registered
332 Posts
Colt Hero said:
4.) Transmission seems "soft" to me. Although I haven't noticed it on the tach, the transmission sounds like it 'free-spins' when changing gears. Its gear-changing is very 'wishy-washy'. It's definitely not a crisp-shifting transmisison. Maybe that's just the way it is and maybe it'll last longer that way, but I don't like it. To me, it feels like a transmission destined for failure.
We have had no problems with our 2010 2.4L now at 14,000 miles but what you mentioned in #4 does concern me a little.

I have noticed that with light to moderate throttle pressure the shift from 3rd to 4th causes a 200 RPM - 500 RPM engine speed increase (it can be seen on the tach) at the shift point. It is most noticeable when the vehicle is cold and almost becomes undetectable when warm.

My previous experience with auto transmissions is that increased revs between shifts has always indicated a transmission problem. So is transmission failure going to eventually occur? ???

I'm going to mention it to the dealership but they'll probably dismiss the issue and reply with the fact that I have over 4 years of warranty left so I shouldn't worry. But this sort of still concerns me. Is there any TSB's relating to this? Does anyone here know anything about this complaint. Is it common and what's the final outcome?

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tsduke:

I'm not taking it to any "professional" until I have very good data to describe (and hopefully recreate) a problem. Hopefully, I NEVER have to go to the dealer. In 25+ years of driving now, I've never taken one of my cars to a dealer for servicing and only twice during this time have I had to use a "professional" for a repair. I'd like to keep it that way.

equinox2:

I hope you're right about that. I really doubt it's the CV, but that's exactly what it sounds like. Maybe the owner's manual mentions this noise? It should, but I doubt it does.

2010Nox:

The shifting on the Equinox transmission feels VERY SIMILAR to my Taurus' transmisson (which has 193k miles on it now). But THAT feeling with the Taurus started at almost 100,000 miles after I did the first fluid transfusion. The fluttering of the tach is something I see with the Taurus (which means the tranny IS slipping), but I haven't noticed this with the Equinox (YET). The good news is, the Taurus has gone almost another additional 100,000 miles without any transmission work - but this is mostly due to the fact that I KNOW the tranny is soft and I drive it accordingly. For example, I make sure I accelerate slowly and evenly from a stop, otherwise the transmission with slip and "slap" on a 1-2 transition. Too many harsh "slaps" and you're rebuilding the transmission (I think). So, while my Equinox may have a "soft" transmission, as long as I don't abuse it or drive it too hard (in the lower gears especially), it'll probably last the life of the car.

By the way, here's #5:

5.) What's with the blue light near the CD player always staying ON? That's GOT to be wrong ... or maybe it's a nightlight for the thieves???

·
Registered
378 Posts
Colt Hero said:
tsduke:

equinox2:

I hope you're right about that. I really doubt it's the CV, but that's exactly what it sounds like. Maybe the owner's manual mentions this noise? It should, but I doubt it does.
I don't believe it does. Our 2011 Camry has even louder cling every time it's been off longer than few minutes. We took it in since manual didn't mention anything and they told us it's the ABS self test.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I wouldn't be too worried about the transmission. It is used in a multitude of Ford and GM vehicles... many with more power and torque than our little 3.0Ls.

I recall reading how this transmission differs from 'old' transmissions... something about not having bands ?? Maybe that's why you are feeling that it's weak unit.

Here is a quote from the Wiki page source...

"The 6T70’s advanced clutch-to-clutch operation is designed for smooth shift feel and packaging efficiency. All shifts except 1-2 (the transmission “free wheels” in first) feature clutch-to-clutch operation. This is achieved through three planetary gears, with three stationary clutches and two rotating clutches. It’s a simple, less complex design that enables the packaging of six gears in the space of a four-speed automatic."

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
None of the things you mentioned apply to my Nox since I have the 2.4L with the electric assist steering and a different tranny...but #1 and #2 sound related and might have something to do with the hydraulic power steering. Unless a CV joint was defective from the factory there is no way it's worn out already with only 1500 miles. #3 sounds troubling, but I don't know what you're actually experiencing...my 2.4 starts immediately and settles into normal idle speed in under 2 seconds. I have a different tranny, but the 6 speed does take some getting used to if you haven't driven a car with one before. Keep in mind that these vehicles aren't built for performance, and the transmission (on both models) is programmed for gas mileage first and foremost....and will do a lot more shifting than a 4-5 speed tranny.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Terrain said:
I wouldn't be too worried about the transmission. It is used in a multitude of Ford and GM vehicles... many with more power and torque than our little 3.0Ls.

"The 6T70’s advanced clutch-to-clutch operation is designed for smooth shift feel and packaging efficiency. All shifts except 1-2 (the transmission “free wheels” in first) feature clutch-to-clutch operation. This is achieved through three planetary gears, with three stationary clutches and two rotating clutches. It’s a simple, less complex design that enables the packaging of six gears in the space of a four-speed automatic."
I'm talking about the 6T45 in our 2.4L one.

NoobNox:

I'm aware of the gas mileage programming of the 6 spd., but any increased revs or lag in shifting will hurt fuel mileage and not increase it. So other than the lots of shifting of a 6 spd. I'm sure it shouldn't do what my trans is doing unless it was designed that way for a reason.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
equinox2 said:
I don't believe it does. Our 2011 Camry has even louder cling every time it's been off longer than few minutes. We took it in since manual didn't mention anything and they told us it's the ABS self test.
OK, but this is a "clop" noise - like a Clydsdale horse. To me, it sounds EXACTLY like a CV joint noise. If GM's cars are making a normal sound that sounds EXACTLY like a very bad sound, they should be noting these sounds in the operator's manual.

I've got to read through that stupid manual ... I keep putting it off ...

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Colt Hero said:
OK, but this is a "clop" noise - like a Clydsdale horse. To me, it sounds EXACTLY like a CV joint noise. If GM's cars are making a normal sound that sounds EXACTLY like a very bad sound, they should be noting these sounds in the operator's manual.

I've got to read through that stupid manual ... I keep putting it off ...
That's odd that you say it only does it once...you can't make it happen again after doing the same thing? I know that on my 4cyl Nox I have a light muffled "sproing" sound after I back out of the garage and then take off going forward. I've seen several other people mention this noise on other forums so it seems to be normal...and something most people would miss because it is so faint and any amount of radio or other noise would mask it. I think it has something to do with going from reverse to drive and some kind of actual spring releasing.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
That is the nature of the beast with the 6 speed regular transmissions. It has to disengage one clutch pack and then engage the next. Its usually most noticeable on the 2-3 shift when cold right?

Also, the CLOP could be the the EVAP purge doing its self test. My G8 does it as do many other new vehicles.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Here's a GM noise that's totally not Equinox unrelated but also seemed weird.

The Duramax I was using for two weeks would whistle loud when it was cold with light throttle application. I concluded it must be the waste gate preventing the exhaust from spinning the turbo or it was the particulate filter system.

·
Registered
332 Posts
gmiemigrad said:
I posted this before - but here is how our transmissions work compared to older 4 and 5 speeds:

Our transmissions use clutch-to-clutch shifting (except the 1-2 shift) - which means one clutch must disengage and another must engage at the same time to make the shift. Timing is critical - too quick and the clutches will fight each other. To slow - and you will feel the interruption in the power flow before the next clutch engages. Older transmissions used sprags and overrun clutches so that during a shift, the higher gear clutch engages to pick up the power flow before the lower gear clutch disengages. While this method makes for smooth shifts - it adds weight, size, and complexity to the transmission.

While current day microprocessors have enabled the ECM to handle the clutch timing with all of the variables involved (temperature, fluid viscosity, engine speed, vehicle speed, engine torque, throttle position, etc.) - the shift quality really can't be compared completely to a older style transmission where timing is not critical.
Excellent description of the operation even for someone who hasn't studied the details of the 6 spd.

If this is "normal" than I'm fine with it. I was just really concerned that the slight RPM increase between the 3-4 shift was a problem manifesting itself since I only have prior experience with 4 speeds.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
gmiemigrad:

Well, whether it ends up lasting or not, I STILL don't like the feel of it. And using your description of how these new transmissions work, I wonder that if the timing of these clutches isn't 'just right' we might start seeing abnormal or premature clutch wear ... maybe even 'transmission failures' caused by lazy or malfunctioning electronic components (sensors).

I'm not sure I like this trade-off. It's always the weakest link that ends up getting you.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Colt Hero said:
I'm not sure I like this trade-off. It's always the weakest link that ends up getting you.
How do you get through the day worrying about stuff like this? Just drive the [email protected] thing... ::)

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Terrain said:
How do you get through the day worrying about stuff like this? Just drive the [email protected] thing... ::)
I never said I was "worried" about any of these things. I'm not "worried" about anything. I'm just sharing some observations about my vehicle. That's what we do in these forums.

·
Registered
698 Posts
^ My point is that you have folks telling you that the transmission is supposed to be this way and you are still 'concerned' about its longevity. I'd be more concerned about getting hit by a bus stepping off the sidewalk than I'd be about the longevity of a transmission that's covered by a fairly good warranty.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Noticed the following the other day with my tranny:

Driving along at about 45-50 mph, took my foot off the pedal and coasted for a fair distance, then felt an odd "flare" in the shifting that prompted me to do this cycle a few times more while watching the tach.

The tach would steadily go downward. But then at some point (can't remember exactly where ... maybe around 1100 rpm?), the tach "flared" UPWARD about 200 rpm, then started falling again. I'm sorry, but this is WEIRD! Maybe ALL transmissions actually do this, but it's just not as noticeable as it is with this transmission. And like I've said previously, I've been driving a "soft" Taurus transmission for almost 100,000 additional miles now - so this "flare" may not be anything to be concerned about in terms of longevity, but there's no denying that it's (at least) weird and something that could cause customers concern.

Just like that "CLOP" noise from the front-end that I still say sounds like a CV-joint noise.

I know if I'M designing and building new cars I don't want any discernable "slips" or "clops" that (even if they ARE innocuous) could be mistaken for more serious problems...

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Completely normal. The car is actually downshifting.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts