GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was changing my license plate ( on 1/11/12 ) and right above both plate screw holes, the paint has started to bubble .
I had just waxed it in October of 2011 and it was not there ( yes I pull the plate and wax behind it ) Wax does no good from the inside out .
Has anyone else seen this issue ?
I am going to the dealer ( 1/12/12 ) ,when I cool down .
My concern is now, that they have to break the paint and it is Black Granite ,and have to paint the entire lift gate and not match or even orange peel .
So bottom line, check above your plate holes
Dealer Update .
I just got back from the dealer ,they are going to paint the entire lift gate .
I have to wait for an appointment ,they say they need 3 days for prep & paint .
The body shop manager popped one of the bubbles ,there is rust underneath .
He thinks that the metal was not properly cleaned before it went for factory paint .
We will see how it matches

·
Registered
142 Posts
What part of the country are you in? Do you get a lot of rain or snow?

Seems like quality control issues. Another forum regular had some cracking paint on the back liftgate part.

Joe

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bought my Terrain in August of 2010, I noticed rust in the Spring of 2011. It too was on the back hatch, mine was in license plate area, in the top right hand area. There was a small bubble. Was not impressed that I had the vehicle for less than a year when I discovered it.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
KISSWpg said:
I bought my Terrain in August of 2010, I noticed rust in the Spring of 2011. It too was on the back hatch, mine was in license plate area, in the top right hand area. There was a small bubble. Was not impressed that I had the vehicle for less than a year when I discovered it.
Was your concern resolved? Please feel free to contact me directly to provide more information. I look forward to hearing from you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Chevrolet Customer Svc said:
Was your concern resolved? Please feel free to contact me directly to provide more information. I look forward to hearing from you.

Hi Tricia,

Yes my concern was resolved. I took it to a dealer closer to home, and had problems with them. I then took it to the dealer I purchased my Terrain from and they looked after me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2011 Terrain And it has benn repainted 2 times already and i just noticed last week it is starting to bubble and rust again in the same spot. It right where the chrome and paint meet above the license plate. I'm starting to get really pissed with this problem!

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
wiggler said:
I have a 2011 Terrain And it has benn repainted 2 times already and i just noticed last week it is starting to bubble and rust again in the same spot. It right where the chrome and paint meet above the license plate. I'm starting to get really pissed with this problem!
Happened to mine Dealer painted it twice and then changed out the chrome piece with new part number and to be on the safe side dealer installed new chrome piece so it doesn't come close to the paint.. can't tell unless you look up from under it try not using the chrome to shut your liftgate Mine was on the emblem piece...

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
wiggler said:
Do you have a case regarding the concern? I would be happy to look into this for you with your case number and VIN. Feel free to contact me privately. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same problem with rust on my lift gate in the area above the license plate. The chrome trim has rubbed the paint off the lift gate and I'm now rusting. It looks like that flange line on the lift gate was not held tight at the corners which results in a small bulge in the flange in the areas where the chrome has contacted and worn away the paint. I found it by following the rust streaks that are running down the hatch on my Terrain.
Does anyone know there was a service bulletin issued for this problem? I'm guessing that would be my only saving grace as I now have 50k on my 2010 Terrain so I'm outside the 36k bumper to bumper warranty. I'll give the dealer a call but I'm guessing I'm on my own at this point unless a hole forms.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Jenniebeeb said:
Any rust is covered up to 6years/100k miles, so if you only have 50k you are well within this range.

Here is the excerpt directly from the GM web site:
"Covered for 6 years/100,000 miles
Corrosion Protection
Chevrolet vehicles are designed and built to resist corrosion. All body and sheet metal components are warranted against rust-through corrosion for six years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. Application of additional rust-inhibiting materials is not required under the corrosion coverage and none is recommended. See your Chevrolet dealer for terms of this limited warranty. "
Surface rust not covered.. rust-thru means you have a hole in the body panel If it was just surface rust everytime someone got a stonechip the dealer would be fixing it not going to happen

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Jenniebeeb said:
Definitely interesting I suppose - my dealer fixed some rust (not rust-through) on one of my previous HHRs and it was out of the 3yr/36k warranty...They were the ones that told me 100k warranty, so maybe it would depend upon dealer, or I just got insanely lucky. Either way, I think it'd be worth it to pose the question since maybe someone else could get lucky as well.
I'd call the dealer also never know As I stated in another post the dealer painted mine twice because the chrome trim was digging into the paint dealer replaced trim with new one that was different part number and installed it so it stuck out a little more so it wouldn't hit the paint...Your dealer could have turned it into GM as rust-thru but it was great that they did fix it....

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Just back from my dealer going to paint liftgate again for same rust problem chrome molding with GMC on it cutting into paint at body lines
I pointed out to them that the 2012 they have on their lot have a different chrome piece in that it has rubber(?) moldings on the bottom edge.
Dealer has worked with me and they ordered updated part ($185.00) and are going to replace and refinish liftgate again

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
GM may have solved the problem with the rubber attached to the bottom Looks like they know it's a problem cause they changed it...
This will be the 3rd time my dealer has fixed it... Pic a little blurry as I don't know how to operate the camera..
first pic has liftgate raised a bit to see rust spot

Attachments

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
fourmoremarine said:
GM may have solved the problem with the rubber attached to the bottom Looks like they know it's a problem cause they changed it...
This will be the 3rd time my dealer has fixed it... Pic a little blurry as I don't know how to operate the camera..
first pic has liftgate raised a bit to see rust spot
I am glad to hear that the concern seems to have been resolved. Please feel free to contact me if you need further assistance. Thank you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
hey guys i didnt read every post to see if anyone put this up but every GM vehicle has 6yr/100,000 corrision warranty..so dont wait to get the prob taken care of get them to your dealer asap!!!ask for a loaner car they should have a DRAC car available for you

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
carsalesman said:
hey guys i didnt read every post to see if anyone put this up but every GM vehicle has 6yr/100,000 corrision warranty..so dont wait to get the prob taken care of get them to your dealer asap!!!ask for a loaner car they should have a DRAC car available for you
Your saying GM covers surface rust? or do they cover rust thru ??? This a case of the molding cracking the paint and rust forming. Would GM cover stone chips? Just asking .

·
Registered
15 Posts
will not cover stone chips it has to be a manufacturer flaw for warranty to cover it..surface rust should be covered but im not 100% ill go ask the body shop and get back with you

·
Registered
15 Posts
ok it has to be rust thru for the corrision..the body shop manager told me if you are still under bumper to bumper it may cover it...he said they have replaced alot of bumpers on sierras under the bumper to bumper because of the chrome rusting...so he said he would take it to your local dealer and have them look at it and see what they say..there is no FSA that we could find on the issue but obviously its a common problem so if your local dealer has to contact GM they should know pretty quick how to handle the situation...if there is anything i can do to help let me know please you can call me at the dealership 765-662-3831 ask for mike lada and they will get you over to me

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2010 Terrain purchased in October 2011, and it has been in for warranty work 3 times already since November 2011. The dealer has fixed everything to satisfaction and has also covered any rental vehicles i needed.

As far as the rust issue, i too encountered bubbling under the driver side door and also some surface rust. There was also a spot on the rear lift gate just below the chrome emblem that was tarnishing the paint.

Brought the Terrain in on Monday of this week and had everything done and Terrain back by Wednesday afternoon. Very satisfied with the work and care that GM has done on the vehicle, including a full wash , wax and detailing the driver compartment.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Repercated said:
I have a 2010 Terrain purchased in October 2011, and it has been in for warranty work 3 times already since November 2011. The dealer has fixed everything to satisfaction and has also covered any rental vehicles i needed.

As far as the rust issue, i too encountered bubbling under the driver side door and also some surface rust. There was also a spot on the rear lift gate just below the chrome emblem that was tarnishing the paint.

Brought the Terrain in on Monday of this week and had everything done and Terrain back by Wednesday afternoon. Very satisfied with the work and care that GM has done on the vehicle, including a full wash , wax and detailing the driver compartment.
did they replace the molding with the updated part? My dealer has ordered a part for the 2012 which has some rubber attached to the bottom of it hoping this will be the final fix..

1 - 20 of 37 Posts