GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I bought this a few months ago for my daughter. It was first put in service in Sept. '15 and while the car is two hours away now, I ran the VIN into a site that said it was built in Aug. '15, which seems late to me for a model year 2015. Has anyone here had the dreaded oil consumption and timing chain issues on a '15? Thanks in advance.
To answer your question - if it were *me*, I'd be "concerned", not "worried". But my concern would be "heightened" if my daughter had the vehicle hours away from me. You might want to consider buying her a low-end OBD-II code reader (and train her to use it), so she can tell you what the codes are ASAP when the Check Engine Light comes ON. Don't want to be driving around for very long with a Crank/Cam mismatch code active...

Reactions: RIT333

·
Registered
98 Posts
Our 2015 never threw a code. A scan tool is a good idea but my point is that with these problems (consumption, timing chains, PCV) there won’t always be a code.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I swung by the dealer today and had them run the VIN and they printed me out a sheet that does indeed say "Build Date: 8/4/15". Practically a '16.

That said, it has all the option codes for the vehicle listed and code "I15" says "Engineering Year 2015".

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Our 2015 never threw a code. A scan tool is a good idea but my point is that with these problems (consumption, timing chains, PCV) there won’t always be a code.
Maybe the timing chain wasn’t a problem (yet) with your vehicle. There are two banks, four camshafts, and four possible codes. There appears to be some leeway with the computer declaring a problem if it only happens in one bank. If it starts happening in *both* banks, then the margin of error starts to narrow. Maybe your vehicle was only in the beginning stages of a problem in one bank, but you were consuming oil, needed extensive engine work, and the chains got replaced because it just made sense to do it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Just saw a '15 on the Equinox Facebook forum this morning that is getting a replacement engine from Chevy at 85K--piston through the wall. Ugh.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
To the OP - Do you need to worry about issues with the '15 4 cyl. engine ? NOPE, it won't do any good to worry except it will raise your blood pressure and cause you to lose sleep !

Reactions: JayTee2014

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Just saw a '15 on the Equinox Facebook forum this morning that is getting a replacement engine from Chevy at 85K--piston through the wall. Ugh.
Wow! That’s a new one for the Equinox, I think. Probably the rod came apart from the piston?

21 - 30 of 30 Posts