GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this a few months ago for my daughter. It was first put in service in Sept. '15 and while the car is two hours away now, I ran the VIN into a site that said it was built in Aug. '15, which seems late to me for a model year 2015. Has anyone here had the dreaded oil consumption and timing chain issues on a '15? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I bought this a few months ago for my daughter. It was first put in service in Sept. '15 and while the car is two hours away now, I ran the VIN into a site that said it was built in Aug. '15, which seems late to me for a model year 2015. Has anyone here had the dreaded oil consumption and timing chain issues on a '15? Thanks in advance.
My belief is that the 2.4 engine used in the 2010 - 2017 Equinox and Terrain models is a poor design that is also overstressed by the weight of the vehicle. It takes a few years for the problems in the engine to appear, so the problems with the 2015 engines should start appearing in the next year or so.

I have owned GM vehicles for more than 40 years. I can never recall a GM engine that had so many serious problems, which required rebuilding the engine (often more than once). The serious problems include high oil consumption (which damages the engine and catalytic converter), a poorly designed PCV system which can cause major oil leakage, and failing high pressure fuel pumps that contaminate the oil with fuel and ruin the engine. None of the defects are caused by the owners, other than one could argue that owner’s should check their oil level VERY OFTEN on these engines.

GM is aware of the problems and continue to spend a lot of money to repair the engines (in and out of warranty). They have issued “satisfaction campaigns” which have helped keep the repair costs down for the owners.

I know some will post that they never check their oil and have driven a gazzillion miles with no problems. However, a lot of dealers and their mechanics are making a lot of money repairing these engines.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've wondered if there were running changes made--particularly after the dates of TSB's put out by GM about those problems in earlier vehicles.

·
Registered
10,111 Posts
There seem to be very few problems reported on this forum for the newer 2.4L engines. Is it because they don't have as many miles, and the problems will show up later - that remains to be seen. Best to frequently check the oil of any engine, and keep your ears open.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
I've wondered if there were running changes made--particularly after the dates of TSB's put out by GM about those problems in earlier vehicles.

Being a used car. . I would do a double oil and filter change right away. Maybe even add an oil additive/detergent right away and drive it for a day or two and then change with new filter and some cheaper synthetic oil. Drive it a few days or 200 miles and change oil and filter again with high quality syn oil. You never know how the engine has been maintained.

If I had a 2.4L engine. . I would just change oil every 4,000 miles or 6 months whichever comes first and use a high quality synthetic like Pennzoil Full Synthetic or Mobil 1 5W-30 weights. This will also give less chance for the PVC orifice to get clogged with carbon and varnish deposits.
Doing this will keep the engine innards and things like camshaft actuators clean and working as well and long as they should. They are wear items and going too long will only wear them faster or worse, destroy them and shed metal particles into the engine innards.

Also, do regular *manual* Throttle Body cleaning using some good CRC Throttle body cleaner wiping down the insides with soft, lint free cloths. Also, change the air cleaner every 15K to 18K. 25,000 miles seems just too long.

Also, do a transmission drain and fill. . . . 3 times. Do NOT fall for a BG or some other chemical transmission "Flush Service" dealers like to sell. Look up videos on how to drain and fill the transmission. This should be done every 30K to 40K miles by what other owners have seen in how dirty the fluid gets.

There are a few more things. . but doing the above will fend off a LOT of potential issues.

Reactions: bigb12359

·
Registered
57 Posts
Great advice JayTee

Just a thought here...being how easy it is to change out oil filter. How about a new oil filter in between changes?

·
Registered
749 Posts
A family member bought a new 2013 Equinox 2LT FWD with the 4-cylinder engine. At 31,xxx miles (and 38 months of usage), the high pressure fuel pump failed - sending fuel into the crankcase. We realized the problem when we checked the oil and it was much higher than the “full” mark - and smelled like gas.

The repair cost was more than $500 - GM paid to tow the vehicle to the dealership under the Roadside Assitance Program. The dealer said the vehicle’s original high pressure fuel pump was the improved / redesigned part and it was not covered under the power train warranty or satisfaction campaign that applied to previous year models.

After the repair, the engine began making an odd noise when it was started - but it went away when warmed-up. They traded the vehicle for a new Dodge Grand Caravan - and love it.

GM lost at least one customer due to this poor engine design.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'm not understanding something. How is a fuel pump not covered on a vehicle with 31K miles? Maybe the car was over 36 months old. EDIT: I see now it was 38 mos. old. Any internal engine damage would have been covered under the 5 yr/100K mile powertrain coverage. Dealer sounds like a...well, you know.

When I bought the '15 Equinox last September, it had 26.2K miles. It was advertised on the dealer's site as having 24.4K miles. When I asked about this, they said it had been used in picking up dealer trades. I asked for more money off the price (this dealer has by far the lowest used-car prices of any dealer in my area) and got $250 more off. It had had a full-synthetic Dexos oil change at 24.4K but I paid to have it done again when I picked the car up only knowing that my daughter would be two hours away and basically rolls her eyes when I tell her she needs to have oil changes done at a dealer, so they know who she is at least. When she was up here at Christmastime I had the dealer I bought it from (Chevrolet) do another oil change. So between 24.4K and 30.8K miles, it's had its third full-synthetic oil change. :)

Fingers crossed.

One reason I bought this one as opposed to others on their lot, was that it was a '15 and had the longer powertrain warranty that went down (in mileage) for '16, plus I saw from the Carfax that it had a late put-in-service date (Sept. '15), which put the warranties out about as far as they could go.

·
Registered
10,111 Posts
My '10 had the HPFP replaced for free as part of a recall. Surprised that it didn't apply to the '13s also.

·
Registered
196 Posts
My personal opinion is that the 2.4L is not a bad engine design. However, its application (in a truck) along with the push for longer oil change intervals, creates possible issues.

I had the 2.4L in a 2011 Buick Regal for 50k miles with no issues. I also have the 2.4L in my 2012 Terrain with 70k miles. At this point, I do not have an oil consumption problem.
For all my vehicles, I do not use the oil life monitor as a service reminder. I change the oil on both of these vehicles at 5000 miles or less - ALWAYS. Both vehicles were bought as new so I know the service history.

I am wondering if the fact that I tightened up my oil change interval from the beginning has led to longer engine life. Is it possible that by going strictly by the OLM ends up pushing the engine to its limits after certain mileage and as such creates a problem? I honestly do not know.

I realize that oils / engines are better now, but I never really liked the idea of oil changes every 10k miles. For the longest time that limit was 3000 miles between oil changes. For $25 in oil/filter, it seems to work for me to add an extra couple of oil changes per year.

·
Registered
94 Posts
AuditorBill - It’s ironic you’re asking this question, because I just got my 2015 back from the dealer yesterday b/c oil consumption repairs were done. I received new pistons, piston rings, rod bearings, timing chain and guides, and balance shaft chain and guides. I was experiencing a very loud, diesel like rattling noise when putting the car in gear to reverse out of my garage after hours of it being parked, particularly in the cold. This was low oil stressing the chains and chewing the plastic guides, presumably causing this noise based on other posts on here including a video. I do my own oil changes with full synthetic Valvoline and AC Delco filters every 3000-4000 miles. I believe that’s what kept this engine alive the past 64k miles to get these repairs. I finally got a good service guy at the dealer who took the low oil seriously. Is your daughter’s Terrain making this noise when she puts it in gear for the first drive of the day?

·
Registered
657 Posts
She will probably be okay. But she does need to check her oil levels every week. Make sure the car is on very level ground or the reading will be off. I would make sure the oil is changed within 5k miles. No longer than that. Also make sure the oil is full synthetic Dexos 1 Generation 2 approved oil.

Something that YOU may want to do is pull the sparkplugs and look down inside at the piston heads. Are they black with carbon buildup? Not a sign of oil consumption but this will cause knock and cause the timing to retard (computer does this to protect engine but at expense of power and mileage). Higher octane and doing a bunch of PEA additives may help.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
I would not even go 5,000 miles on oil in a 2.4L engine unless is was easy highway miles. 4,000 miles or 6 months.

If you shop local stores, you can now get Dexos certified oil for $15 in a 6qt case when on sale. For $15 and a filter it's cheap insurance. I like that it comes in a 6 quart case so not big jugs to store and 6 quarts for less than a 5 quart jug of Pennz or Mobil. I have 3 to 4 cases on had at all times.

If you are in the upper central midwest, you can get this Dexos certified synthetic and made by Citgo. As long as it says Dexos on it, GM can't deny any warranty claim.
I switched to this now and has been working well in all our vehicles.

https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/685991-blains-farm-and-fleet-5w30-full-synthetic-motor-oil.html

Reactions: Colt Hero

·
Registered
3,560 Posts

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
That Blaine's Farm and Fleet price is the same as Walmart's SuperTech equivalent.

And who makes Walmart's SuperTech oil? Lots of discussions on this. Here's just one of them:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1857622

Yes, I remember reading that thread some time ago. What complicates this is who knows if a "Brand X" oil continues to be made my the same supplier over time after 6 or 7 years?
I do know the Blaine's is Citgo from a trusted source plus. . the 6 quart boxes have the same date code and lot stamps that the Citgo boxes do sitting right next to the Blaine's. I will keep watching and take notice if anything changes with the Blaine's supplier.

·
Registered
657 Posts
To answer your question, yes.
They stopped using piston rings designed for better gas mileage.
The compression ratio inside the chamber was reduced.
High pressure fuel pump changed to....different supplier?
I have no idea if they changed the pcv system...I doubt it.

Your daughter is much less likely to have any problems compared to my 2011. But she can still have them.

Just keep an eye on the oil and do short OCI's with dexos approved synthetic.
Don't worry too much.

·
Registered
10,111 Posts
Plus, they stopped getting bad engine actuators from a supplier.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts