GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used 2014 Chevy Equinox with 76,000 miles on it in November 2920. The previous owner took great care of the car. Fast forward to Saturday Feb 12 2021 bitterly cold night in Wisconsin and my Pvc system failed and blew my rear crankshaft seal and all the oil out of engine. Guess what. GM says my car isn't covered. There is 77,700 miles on the car. I basically drive to work and home and a couple of errands on weekends. GM says my Equinox is not covered. I wonder how many cars were actually covered by GM I bet if I had known about this issue in November 2020 I could have had it repaired before it got cold and when GM would not have had to pay for a major repair. So how many cars did GM actually cover?

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
See GM Service Bulletin #14882 dated March 2015 for a list of years and models covered.

·
Registered
10,408 Posts
I have heard of many people that have had this issue, and I can't recall anyone who's car was covered by the recall. Either the happy ones never report back, or GM is pulling a scam with their list... you decide.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it's a scam. GM probably only covered replacement of the pvc system before any engine damage not after.

·
Registered
4 Posts
n February 9th 2021 at 5:00pm when it was 6 degrees with snow covered road outside, I was driving to a appointment about 10 miles away when my car started to act up. No warning lights or bells when off. I pulled into a Quick Trip and put some heat in thinking to was a gas line freeze up. I went a short 1.5 miles to my appt and my car died. I was able to pull of to the side of the road and notice a lot of oil coming from my car. Again still no warning lights or bells went off. I towed it to Hendrick Chevrolet where all the oil changes and all previous work have been done. The problem is a rear main seal that is blown due to the PCV value getting clogged with water and freezing causing high crack case pressure, blowing the rear seal. GM has a service bulletin 14882 which covers this condition if the car is under 120000 miles/10 years from in service date. My car has 110501miles and the end service date 6/2012 and should be covered. However GM says my VIN # isn't part up the 14882 bulletin. My repair cost is $3200.00 It seems the cars that are manufactured in Mexico are part of this bulletin but the cars manufactured in Canada are not. There are a lot of people out there facing and complaining about this. There is a lot of complaints on your website. This condition only will occurs during below freezing conditions potentially making it a very dangerous condition. In my case if I was driving on I-435 instead of Holmes road my life would have been put in danger.
This should be a very easy fix for GM it make to in sure the safety of drivers during freezing conditions and to prevent the very expensive cost for the consumer to bare. In my case I'm picking up my car, stowing it and finding a lawyer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts