GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening everyone, thank you for taking the time to read my post!
I have a 2011 GMC Terrain SLE2
I just received a dual fan to plug into my “cigarette lighter” since the terrains do not have any rear air to force onto my two kiddos. That being said I can not get the thing to come on.

-yes, the car is running
-no, none of the fuses are blown
-yes the fan does work in other cars (2)
-yes, the plug is getting power because my cell phone charger works in the plugs.

The weird part is that when I plug the fan in the indication lights with P,R,D,M etc......shuts off!
It doesn’t matter weather I plug it into the back outlet or the front, which leads me to believe they are all on the same circuit.
Again, I pulled EVERY fuse in the floorboard and under the hood just to make sure.

·
Registered
89 Posts
It sounds like the fan draws too much current for that circuit and a breaker is shutting it down. Do you hear any clicking when you turn the fan on?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I do not hear any clicking.
The fan works flawlessly in every other vehicle I have tried. I don’t understand what’s up with this one!

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
Can you check to see how much current is available at the lighter port?

He may be better off measuring to see if he has voltage. Pretty tough to measure "available current", except by looking at the fuse that supplies that circuit.

·
Registered
492 Posts
If that's the case, I'd look at changing the retained power relay (fuse box to the right of the console, #42 on the diagram). It may have bad contacts and can't supply sufficient power to the circuit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’m not at the vehicle right now but will be tonight. Would you happen to know the part number or anything I could take to the auto shop to get?

·
Registered
3 Posts
That relay fixed the problem!
Thank you!
Apologies for resurrecting an older thread, but I'm having problems tracking down this #42 relay.
I purchased a used 2013 Terrain, and noticed the front 2 x 12v outlets were 'dead'. The 12v cargo cigarette lighter is working just fine.

Fuses 13 & 17 are good (tested with a multimeter), but I noticed that there was no Retained Accessory Power relay in position #42. I'm guessing that is my issue.
I went to a local parts place, they could not find anything listed for the Terrain under Retained Accessory Power.
I called my nearest GM dealer. They had no idea what the part number was either. They could list off a bunch of other relays, but had none listed as Retained Accessory Power.

Can anyone tell me the GM part number, or an OEM equivilent? I'd like to get the 12v outlets running!
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Can anyone tell me the GM part number, or an OEM equivilent? I'd like to get the 12v outlets running!
Thanks!
The RAP relay in my 2014 Equinox is grey with a GM part number of #13500127.
They are on ebay, there are several that look the same with a different number.
Stick with the number I gave you and you should be good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The RAP relay in my 2014 Equinox is grey with a GM part number of #13500127.
That's just what I needed, thanks rednox. When I called the dealer back, they were able to find it. I guess it is a multipurpose relay, and not listed in their documentation as Retained Accessory Power or RAP anywhere. In fact when I said I wanted one, the parts guy thought it was odd that I would even need it for the 12v outlets. He thought they were managed by the same relay that does the radio.

When I picked it up, it turns out the part number has now changed. I installed it and it is doing exactly what it is meant to do. Good news.
For anyone looking this up in future, the current part number as of June 2021 is 13500114.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
interesting that the part # went down numerically.... youd figure that a newer part # would have a higher number.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well here is an interesting thing. The relay that I replaced died just a couple of days later. Plugged in my phone to charge on the drive home tonight, set off, then realised the cigarette lighter USB socket light was not illuminated. It's raining right now so I haven't checked the fuse, but I'm guessing the relay didn't last very long, which may be the reason it was not in the used vehicle when I bought it.

Anyone have any ideas why a relay would quit? At $34 from the dealership I'm not wanting to burn through 'em! I can apply a voltage to the existing one to test it I suppose, but would like some ideas as to what could cause a relay to blow? It was good for a day or two, although I didn't charge my phone up with it, just saw the LED light illuminate and figured all was good. Looks like this saga isn't over yet ;-)

Just a thought - could I have installed the relay the wrong way round? I plugged it in upside down, based on the video I saw of someone else's Terrain fuse box (see around 40 seconds in at
).

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Mine is installed upside down to, came from the factory that way and never changed.
Clould be why they have an updated relay with a new number??

Any extra electrical add ons or is it 100% stock?
Low battery?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts