GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 Equinox has several 12 volt power outlets but none of them stays powered up after the ignition switch is turned off. Does anyone have any ideas on how to have at least one of the 12 volt power outlets stay powered up after the ignition switch is turned off, how would you ever be able to charge a phone or other device if you are not driving the car. All my other vehicles even my motorcycle has a powered plug for this. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
9,973 Posts
wlachney said:
My 2012 Equinox has several 12 volt power outlets but none of them stays powered up after the ignition switch is turned off. Does anyone have any ideas on how to have at least one of the 12 volt power outlets stay powered up after the ignition switch is turned off, how would you ever be able to charge a phone or other device if you are not driving the car. All my other vehicles even my motorcycle has a powered plug for this. Any help would be appreciated.
Try the 12V outlet in the rear cargo area. You may get a pleasant surprise. ;D

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
we are in a day and age, where we all leave stuff plugged in..some people multiple items...GPS, Tablet, phones, laptops, microwave ovens...etc...

So that we all dont wake up to our batteries dead..they put a limit on everything..even the radio will turn off after about 5 minutes...

everything except that outlet in the rear cargo area.

·
Registered
977 Posts
It's for safety too. Some of the chargers can overheat and possibly cause a fire. On my Saturn LS1 the outlets are always hot. I left a charger in the socket and when I went to use the car a few hours later it smelled of smoke. The charger was really hot and I threw it out. This is the 1st time I had this problem

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I'm glad not all the outlets stay hot 24/7.....I would eventually drain the battery with my Garmin or phone. However, like someone already mentioned, the one in the back cargo area is always powered...which would be good if you had one of those portable coolers back there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
However, I wanted to use that outlet for a rear windshield mounted recording camera. And, opps, it’s on all the time recording video of my driveway. Am moving to the outlet in the back seat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts