GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'11 Equinox 1LT V6 1200 miles: Alarm Goes Off For No Reason

Happened at 7:40am this morning, broad daylight, sitting in the driveway. No apparent vandals, nothing seemed wrong. I was in the kitchen behind two walls with the keyfob in my pocket, so I don't think it was an accidental PANIC button push. The horn honked about 20 times with the lights ON before it all stopped. I couldn't seem to stop it using the remote.

1.) Anybody had this happen to them? Is there a way to silence it immediately? I STILL haven't sat down to read the owner's manual yet.

2.) Any chance this could've been caused by someone else's remote or even OnStar?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Hhmm Some of these (don't know if its trim specific or chevy verses GMC) have extended range on the key fob, so the accidental panic buttom may be cause.

In other vehicles I believe starting it will turn off the alarm, don't know on the Nox though.

·
Super Moderator
931 Posts
I don't...can't..carry the keys and fob to the Equinox in my jeans pocket..as I always do my Solstice keys & fob. Shortly after we picked up my wife's Equinox it was quite evident that the way the fob and buttons are made..if I sit down...bent over....or 'moved' in a certain way the alarm would go off in the driveway(through several walls). Now my set of her car's keys remain on the dresser until I need to drive her car.

·
Registered
482 Posts
IceMan said:
I don't...can't..carry the keys and fob to the Equinox in my jeans pocket..as I always do my Solstice keys & fob. Shortly after we picked up my wife's Equinox it was quite evident that the way the fob and buttons are made..if I sit down...bent over....or 'moved' in a certain way the alarm would go off in the driveway(through several walls). Now my set of her car's keys remain on the dresser until I need to drive her car.
Maybe the solution is loose fit jeans. Sorry I couldn't resist. :D

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
noncon:

It's only happened the ONE time. I was standing in the kitchen at the end of the counter making my lunch for the workday. And I don't lean against the counter, so I don't think the counter could've done it.

But looking at the keyfob right now, I can see how it might've happened in my pocket:

The PANIC button is located nearest to the ring attachment hole. Because of this, it's possible to rotate another key on the ring and have it press down squarely (at a 90-degree angle) on the keyfob's PANIC button!

Seems like a bad design to me. I think I would've tried to mount the button inside the recessed channel where the key blade parks. So you would flip the blade out (if it wasn't already out), then press the button inside the channel (somehow). Maybe it would be a slider that raised up into the cutout in the side of the blade? It would HAVE to rise up somewhat because a human finger probably wouldn't be able to reach it otherwise inside that narrow channel. It DEFINITELY shouldn't be located where it is...

·
Super Moderator
931 Posts
RNOX said:
On my nox when you hit the panic button on the remote it honks 3 times then stops.
On my Equinox fob...if the button with the little red blaring horn is touched...the alarm on my Equinox goes off until it is retreived from my jean pocket and pressed again. However pressing the lock button...the horn will honk once to alert that it has been locked.

The little red blaring horn symbol on my Solstice key fob is recessed into fob..and has never accidentally 'went off'.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I've had a couple things happen related to this since we got the Terrain ( I keep the keys in my pocket).
Once I saw the lights on after it had be sitting in drive, by the time I went out they were off (must have had the lock/unlock button hit)
Another time the hatch opened seemingly on its own (must have hit the button on fob)

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RNOX said:
On my nox when you hit the panic button on the remote it honks 3 times then stops.
Funny, mine doesn't (USUALLY) do that. I hit the lock button and the doors lock. That's it. But I HAVE heard the horn honk at least once this way. Inconsistent behavior for some reason...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts