GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My nox just rolled on about 6,500 km. I did my first oil change at 2000km to get the initial break-in grit out but still replaced with conventional oil since the engine was still breaking in.
Now at 6500km and the engine done most of it's breakin I did another oil change with 100% Synthetic Castrol GTX 5W30.

Wow, what a difference. The engine turns over and runs so much smoother. The throttle response feels so much better and the engine actually feels more powerful when you floor it and wind it out through the gears. The difference is almost like driving with just yourself and no cargo as opposed to the extra weight of 4 adults and some cargo in the rear.

Question? Is this difference really supposed to be expected from Fully Synthetic as opposed to regular conventional or is it all in my head....and for those of you on here who don't like me too much...I'm already expecting an answer of the latter ;D.....IceMan :p

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Your right on track mmarges, you will notice all those items you mentioned, power bump may not be that noticeable but some yes, in conjunction with the engine management tuning slightly better after 5,000 km's or so. So the combination is right for more power.

We run full synthetics in all our vehicles and bikes also, firm believers, the custom Sol and the GTR supercar get the full treatment... motor, differentials and transmissions.

Still waiting for my first one to do, only have 1,100 km's so far. :)

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
I run syn in our cars and Harley. When I switched to syn in one of my Harleys years ago I noticed how much smoother and cooler it ran almost immediately. Of course smoother means slicker performance as well.
It's not that I dislike you..it is only that I disagree with some of your obsessions and tatics.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I have an oil filter socket on order from Amazon, can't wait for next weekend so I can replace the original oil filter. I decided not to change out the oil yet (currently about 3000 miles on it) until about 6000 or possibly longer. But I do plan to put synthetic in and am looking forward to seeing what happens.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Is anyone following the dexos specification for engine oil? Does Castrol make it?

·
Registered
626 Posts
No, Castrol doesn't offer oil with dexos certification. Here's GM's page.
http://www.gmdexos.com/licensedbrands.html

In spite of the list I still haven't located ANY oil on retail shelves that has the dexos logo on the bottle. But you should be good with Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, Quaker State Ultimate, Amsoil (probably most if not all synthetics for that matter), or the oil your dealer uses. Castrol might be "good enough" but they didn't pay for certification.

·
Registered
483 Posts
mnussbaum said:

In spite of the list I still haven't located ANY oil on retail shelves that has the dexos logo on the bottle. But you should be good with Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, Quaker State Ultimate, Amsoil (probably most if not all synthetics for that matter), or the oil your dealer uses. Castrol might be "good enough" but they didn't pay for certification.
According to the Mobil 1 website they do meet the Dexos requirements. May take a while for this to make it's way onto retail shelves though since it's such a new thing.

·
Registered
371 Posts
From what I've read, Penz Plat, Mobil1, QS changed nothing to meet Dexos1. Their oils already met the requirement. The logo on the bottle is just a formality. I'm going to stick the list on my 2011. All of the approved oils are good so I'll just use PP when the time comes. It's shown beter UOA's than Mobil1 in DI engines from what I've read.

As for Amsoil. They are NOT approved Dexos1 oils. They say they meet or exceed, but they are not licensed like the other oils you mention. Amsoil doesn't pay for any cert to my knowledge. They just state that they meet or exceed.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
If Amsoil says that they meet the spec, then they do. You don'l have to have a certificate to meet anything as long as you can prove it. They don't have API certificates either. They say they'd rather spend that money on better additives for their oils. Nobody has proved them wrong or sued them in 30+ years. Amsoil is endorsed by many racing teams, Harley Rallys and many vehicle repair shops.
Why would a huge company risk being sued for lying about such a thing. GM would issue a cease and desist order immediately.
Have you seen the certificates from all those other oils?
Amsoil just re formulated their XL series oils to meet or exceed all present day requirments.

I personnally don't think any brand name syn oil will do any HARM to any engine ever.......and nobody has ever prover so.
As long as you change the oil/filter at the recommended interval, you should never have an oil related engine problem.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dexos1...what a joke, a money grab and a fraud.
Just use any 100% fully synthetic and follow the oil life monitor, or use any other rated cheap sh1t oil and change every 5000km disregarding the oil life monitor. Take your pick.

·
Registered
321 Posts
mnussbaum said:

I suspect that other oils meet the dexos spec as well but have not been tested.

I notice that Castrol Edge advertises 8 times better wear protection compared with Mobil1. Any comment?

Just for the record, I have Penzoil Ultimate in the car now since 1200 miles. Currently 1800 miles. I haven't decided on brand or mileage of next change yet. I'm getting 27 mpg using the break-in schedule to the letter.

Haven't decided yet on mileage or brand of oil on next change. Computer states 95% oil life remaining.

On a separate issue - having allot of fun detailing the heck out of her.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I never said Amsoil is lying. I'm also not saying they don't meet or exceed the specs. I only said that they aren't certified by GM and it's only there word saying they meet or exceed it. I'm sure it exceeds because I don't doubt Amsoil qaulity at all, but GM could, on a technically, use that as a reason to not cover a engine repair. Likelyhood very low, yes, but the possibility is still there. For at least the warranty period I will be sticking to the approved list.

mmarges...Why is Dexos1 a joke? Oil certs have been around for years and EVERY manufacturer has them. Poeple are only making a big deal about Dexos1 because it's just for GM and differs from what the rest require(GF5).

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Amsoil says they are. You said they are NOT. That's not saying they're lying??

"As for Amsoil. They are NOT approved Dexos1 oils. They say they meet or exceed, but they are not licensed like the other oils you mention. Amsoil doesn't pay for any cert to my knowledge. They just state that they meet or exceed.
[/quote]

·
Registered
371 Posts
GARYD said:
Amsoil says they are. You said they are NOT. That's not saying they're lying??

"As for Amsoil. They are NOT approved Dexos1 oils. They say they meet or exceed, but they are not licensed like the other oils you mention. Amsoil doesn't pay for any cert to my knowledge. They just state that they meet or exceed.
Have you checked out the official approved list? Amsoil is NOT on the list. Amsoil is only stating "on their own" that they meet the certs they list. They haven't actually been certified to meet all those certs though. It's actually misleading for them to list it on their site.

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
I will say one thing about Amsoil...they have developed an extraordinary advertizing campaign over the years.
Googling Amsoil 'reviews'...it isn't easy to find a truely independent review that's not linked directly or indirectly to Amsoil if you read the fine print. I'm not saying that their own claims are not valid..or that Amsoil isn't the best syn ever developed...but their publicizing makes it seem almost like a religion.
I suppose,though,if someone is convinced it's truely the best..then anything else must be blasphemy! :eek:
Sorry..really not trying to dig at someone's preference. I just can't help finding discussion about oils...wax..and other hot auto topics as often quite comical considering the average daily driver...but yet so sensitivly serious to some others. However..I'm not always so innocent either... ;D

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
IceMan, I use Amsoil and have always said any name brand oil is fine. I just like the additive package in Amsoil better then the other oils. Would I use another oil if I needed to.... of course I would. It's not even close to be a religion to me...I just like it...kinda like how I like the Terrain....is that like a religion? ;D
Doesn't all the propaganda from all the other oils say the same thing....OURS IS BEST.
Amsoil has been in the commercial syn business longer then any of the other companys. They started in the aeromotive field long before introducing syn to the general public.

What advertising campaign? The reason you see so many tie ins on the internet is because Amsoil doesnt advertise like the big boys do. They are starting to advertise in the motorcycle field, but that's about it. They do shows and endorse racing teams and mostly by word of mouth.

tsduke, I don't need to read any approval list...the only ones on it are the ones who have payed to be on it...doesn't mean anything. They don't have to be certified to be able to meet specs. If they know what the spec are and they meet them then they're good to go. They don't have the API symbol either, but that doesn't mean they don't meet all the specs. If they didn't meet the specs you can be sure GM would have their ass in court.
It's not misleading, they do meet all the specs, they just havent payed to have a certificate issued.
It's like generic medicine...it's the same stuff but cheaper because they don't have to pay for a piece of paper stating they are the same.

Bottom line......any name brand oil will be fine in any modern engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
mnussbaum said:

Just went to my local dealer in Canada for an oil change on my 2010 Terrain. I decided to go synthetic. The dealer put Castrol SLX 4718m.
Supposed to be formulated for GM Canada...slx4718.com/EN_home.asp...

·
Registered
321 Posts
tsduke said:
From what I've read, Penz Plat, Mobil1, QS changed nothing to meet Dexos1. Their oils already met the requirement. The logo on the bottle is just a formality. I'm going to stick the list on my 2011. All of the approved oils are good so I'll just use PP when the time comes. It's shown beter UOA's than Mobil1 in DI engines from what I've read.

As for Amsoil. They are NOT approved Dexos1 oils. They say they meet or exceed, but they are not licensed like the other oils you mention. Amsoil doesn't pay for any cert to my knowledge. They just state that they meet or exceed.
If Mobil 1 makes the GM list of dexos motor oils, and Castrol Edge claims 8 time better wear protection, is it logical that Castrol Edge would make the grade even though they didn't pay for certification?

Just for the record, I'm currently using Penzoil Ultimate, but plan to switch to Quaker State Ultimate Durability in the Terrain, and switch from PU to Castrol Edge in my other car.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
007, don't worry about it, Amsoil didn't pay for the certification either, and they comply. ;)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts