GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've ran diesels a long time and one of the first things I decided to do is install a catch can on my terrain. I went with a provent 200 can and after 500 miles I've removed quite a bit of water(condensation) from my crankcase. There is only one good spot to install this larger unit and you will also need 5' of 1" silicone hose that can be purchased at summit or online and a 1"x7/8" 90 silicone elbow that can be found on ebay. I kept the stock hose in the vehicle incase I needed to make a quick predealership change in the future. Took about an hour to install everything and I ran the oil drain out near the passenger frame rail with a 3/8" valve on the end so I can drain during oil changes. Pics attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update- Did an oil change and drained another two teaspoons of water from provent. Hard to believe there is that much moisture in the crankcase!!!!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Is that 2 teaspoon for 500 miles or 3000 miles ?

There is water vapor in the exhaust ..more so for this diesel as the SCR using DEF convert NOx to water vapor, carbon dioxide and nitrogen.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_catalytic_reduction

There is also water vapor in the input air (the quantity depending on your atmospheric humidity)..which sometimes condenses or even ices in the intercooler

So water in the crank case can come only from air or blowback exhaust.

it should not condense in the crank case (where the oil should be at 175 F to 190 F ) at normal operating temperature..so this makes me believe that it is the condensate when the car engine is still cold and is trapped there.
So this catch can may be a good thing if the car is run cold on short distances a lot.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2 teaspoons in 500 miles. I just put another 1k highway miles on it and got another 3 tablespoons of clear water out as well. I also did an egr blocker plate and my oil is staying significantly cleaner and so far zero CIL after 2000 miles.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another 3 tablespoons removed after another 750 miles. Still only clean water removed with no sheen. I havent opened the provent itself due to its location but the hose going back in to the turbo inlet is clean and dry with zero oil film which is already a huge improvement. I am comforted that the intercooler core wont be coated with oil 5 years down the road.

·
Registered
4 Posts
How big is that ProVent 200? I have realized that my '18 Equinox diesel needs one. To much blow by leaking out the hose going into the intercooler. And the dealership doesn't think this is a problem. I guess they don't train there mechanics the fundamentals of diesels.

·
Registered
4 Posts
How big is that ProVent 200? I have realized that my '18 Equinox diesel needs one. To much blow by leaking out the hose going into the intercooler. And the dealership doesn't think this is a problem. I guess they don't train there mechanics the fundamentals of diesels.

·
Registered
6 Posts
How much different is the terrain from the equinox in the area that you mounted that provent 200? i have an 18 equinox and where you mounted your provent, i am not sure i could get the provent in that area. Only area would be on the firewall. Also, does any one take the engine cover/ noise insulator off while running the car?

·
Registered
696 Posts
How much different is the terrain from the equinox in the area that you mounted that provent 200? i have an 18 equinox and where you mounted your provent, i am not sure i could get the provent in that area. Only area would be on the firewall. Also, does any one take the engine cover/ noise insulator off while running the car?
I doubt you'll get an answer at @DieselTerrain has not logged in to this site for 7 months it seems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts