GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2019 GMC Terrain 2.0 AWD , no V92 trailer option
517 Posts
My neighbour had a diesel cruze . Numerous returns to the dealer due to the check engine light being on. Company finally replaced the entire engine. The light diesel in the Tier IV market is being replaced with the simpler, lower cost and more reliable gas DI engines.
The only reason manufactures even bother with the light diesels is the world market in countries outside of Canada and the US . Road Diesel fuel is 2/3 to 3/4 the price of gasoline in most of the world. Plus there are some people who will purchase a diesel, just because it is a diesel as it makes them feel good.

·
Registered
683 Posts
That's a pretty bold statement, have that in writing? The 1.6TD wasn't out long enough in the US to generate any sort of profit impacting warranty issues. I've owned both the Cruze and Equinox Diesel's and haven't had any warranty claims related to the engine on either one with an almost combined 100,000 miles. From the press release the reason for discontinuing the models was the low take rate. Let's face it, these are low budget cars so most are sold as cheaply as possible. They also never really advertised the diesel and most people don't want to deal with greasy diesel pumps. In the three years of ownership I have seen maybe 1 other diesel Cruze/Terrain/Equinox. The dealer that services my Equinox says I am the only one they have had.
Yup the number i read somewhere (when they were discontinuing it for the 2020 line) was like only 10K to 20K diesel vehicles was sold across NA in the 2 years it was on the market (i don't know if that includes the terrain too). When compared to the gasoline which they were selling at a rate of more than 200K vehicles per year. Also logistically around that time GM sold its European operations that makes the engine. So if they continued the line they would have to be buying engines from Opel/Peugeot...may be they could not strike a deal. That is speculation on my part.

·
Registered
683 Posts
My neighbour had a diesel cruze . Numerous returns to the dealer due to the check engine light being on. Company finally replaced the entire engine. The light diesel in the Tier IV market is being replaced with the simpler, lower cost and more reliable gas DI engines.
The only reason manufactures even bother with the light diesels is the world market in countries outside of Canada and the US . Road Diesel fuel is 2/3 to 3/4 the price of gasoline in most of the world. Plus there are some people who will purchase a diesel, just because it is a diesel as it makes them feel good.
anectdotal problems do not make massive systemic failure. 1% of all cars sold new are lemon in the US so one hears of these vehicles that have major problems all over the place once in a while. How does your neighbor drive the car and maintain it matters too. My 22 year old Saturn has many engine light on issues too....due to misfiring...but it has 200K miles on it and i am not complaining !

21 - 23 of 23 Posts