GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all just wanted to post a 'heads up' on an emissions issue that happened to me yesterday and see if anyone else experienced something similar. I've got a 2018 Terrain Diesel with about 28,000 miles on it. Been trouble free and fun to drive so far. All maintenance has been up to date with the exception of the latest diesel regen recall which I had planned to get taken care of on the next service interval (oil is at about 30% life right now).

On a trip about 150 miles away from home, after going down the backside of a pass, the info display showed a series of messages that said something to the effect: 1. Emission system issue, see owner's manual. 2. Diesel Particulate Filter full, regen process, driving is mandatory (or something to that effect). 3. Engine Power Reduced (which was basically a limp mode). 4. Regen Process, 155 miles until 65MPH (which was a weird message).

Since the gist of messages seemed to be 'keep driving' I started the return journey back home even though I was reduced to about 30mph on the steeper hills due to the engine power reduction. The fourth message would tick down from 155 miles to a lower number as I drove. But after about 40 miles I heard a 'pop' while going down a hill and engine power dropped dramatically. Also additional trouble lights appeared; 'Service ESC' (stability control) and the yellow Traction Control idiot light appeared. I pulled off the side of the road and turned off the car to inspect and found no leaks or anything else unusual. The car would restart for about 5 seconds and then shut off. So basically, it was stuck right there.

From there I had to find a way to contact the GM Roadside Assistance (which is a story in itself) and get this to a dealer. Anyway, they should tow it to an unfamiliar dealer at some point today and I'll be happy to update my experience as it progresses. Issues have been rare, in the 2.5 years I've owned this car I've only had one service issue which was with the infotainment system which just stopped working altogether. But it was promptly replaced under warranty by our local Chevy dealer.

·
Registered
10,505 Posts
Keep us posted, and good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1st Update: The dealership called me after taking a look at the car and said there were 'a bunch of issues' with the most concerning be a lack of compression in one of the cylinders. He figured that there would be major engine repair required and the car would be in the shop for at least two weeks (I'm guessing that probably means much longer). Fortunately, it appears as though this repair should be covered under one of the many existing warranties that are still valid on this car - 3/36K bumper to bumper, 6/50K drivetrain, extended emissions, regen recall, etc. But none of that has been confirmed yet and I don't have much experience with warranty work so I'm cautiously skeptical.

I plan to drive up to the dealership on Monday to pick up the remaining possessions in the car and have a face to face chat with the service manager. Again, the skeptic in me fears that the technicians in this small town rural dealership have never seen this particular engine before so they most certainly don't have experience rebuilding one of these engines.

Does anyone know if a loaner car is provided for these situations? A few days without the car isn't a big deal, but weeks or months could be an issue.

·
Registered
10,505 Posts
You should be getting a loaner, and for free. Read your owners manual

·
Registered
2019 GMC Terrain 2.0 AWD , no V92 trailer option
517 Posts
Another example of how diesels are not suited to low HP light duty service .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2nd Update: Not much of an update really, it's been over a month and I've yet to get even a call from the dealer working on my car with any news. Only indication that anything has happened was that OnStar sent me a message that my battery voltage was 'critically low' about 2 weeks ago 😕. When I left it, the dealer had ordered a new engine since he thought one would be needed and didn't want to tie up a service bay while waiting for parts. I'm out of town anyway, so I'm not pushing them on this issue. But I plan to chase them down to see what's happening.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Lemon law and obtain a 2.0 Di turbo . Diesels use in light duty applications fail too often. If this engine was operating at full load and full operating temperature for 18 hours a day at 90-100HP and 1800 rpm. The engine would have fewer problems than when used to putter along city streets a few blocks to the grocery store.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Another example of how diesels are not suited to low HP light duty service .
I beg to differ from your statement, thousands of low hp. "light duty" diesel engines running everything from skid steers mini excavators, water pumps and on and on. OP has had a terrible experience but you never hear from the thousands of folks with small diesel motors in all applications that never have a problem. I have been playing with these 4 cyl diesels since the early 80s with my first vw rabbit 2 of them then Merc lynx 2.0 diesel, ranger 2.0 diesel chevy s-10 1.9 diesel, just wished back then they t-charged & I/C them would have been more fun but i sure did enjoy 35 to 40 mpg....

·
Registered
517 Posts
I beg to differ from your statement, thousands of low hp. "light duty" diesel engines running everything from skid steers mini excavators, water pumps and on and on. OP has had a terrible experience but you never hear from the thousands of folks with small diesel motors in all applications that never have a problem. I have been playing with these 4 cyl diesels since the early 80s with my first vw rabbit 2 of them then Merc lynx 2.0 diesel, ranger 2.0 diesel chevy s-10 1.9 diesel, just wished back then they t-charged & I/C them would have been more fun but i sure did enjoy 35 to 40 mpg....
Most of these listed applications and experience are with with engines earlier than Tier IV and have fewer problems . Also most of those application are medium duty or heavy duty application with the engine operating at Full rpm and a high percent of rated power.
A Tier IV diesel in any application is a whole other animal and is prone to failure. Particularly in light duty putting around applications.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Most of these listed applications and experience are with with engines earlier than Tier IV and have fewer problems . Also most of those application are medium duty or heavy duty application with the engine operating at Full rpm and a high percent of rated power.
A Tier IV diesel in any application is a whole other animal and is prone to failure. Particularly in light duty putting around applications.
[/QU
Please Provide Data to back up your statement, or as many do is this just your opinion ?
Just because one person on this forum has a catastrophic failure does not prove your theory/statement correct.
And yes early diesels did not have the emission issues we see today such as EGR cooler failures from soot loading and DPF clogging from short cycled regens because of short trip usage.... or as you call it putting around but if your statement were correct we would see thousands of these units failing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
3rd Update: Spoke with the service manager at he said they were in the process of installing the new engine. So I should have no issue getting the car back when I return home in May. I worry about all this wrenching on the car and what it might mean for longer term reliability. But I can only hope that they are doing everything right with the re-assembly. It's still hard to believe that a new engine was required in the first place...

As an aside, I'm not in the camp that 'light duty' diesel is a bad idea. I've driven small VW diesel cars for decades now - largely trouble free. From my experience, they are more robust than similar sized gasoline engines. Many people on the VW TDI forums were getting hundreds of thousands of miles off these engines and they have an equally good track record in Europe.

I think the issue is the complex emissions system being used in N America. These have a checkered past (my Terrain was partly purchased from the VW 'hush money' from their emissions debacle), and are not that well vetted. My advice to other Terrain owners is to get whatever recall work is advised on the emissions system done ASAP.

·
Registered
683 Posts
If their diagnostic is correct; lack of compression in only one cylinder has nothing to do with emission control electronics etc...You have had a piston or gasket failure in that cylinder or something similar. Diesels always compress higher than gasoline but by design they are built hardier too. For it to fail with such low mileage must be a manufacture flaw. Most of us early buyers have crossed 50K miles now and i read some 100K miles.
FYI this engine and its emission system was already in use in Europe as Opel for a couple of years before chevy started putting them on Cruzes in 2016/2017 and the nox on 2017.

·
Registered
517 Posts
What are you not understanding regarding your previous simple reliable diesels being non emission with mechanical injection pumps Vs. Todays Tier IV diesels with common rail injection, urea injection, variable wastegate, EGR, EGR cooler and a particulate filter.
As for reliable emissions systems in Europe. In 2014 our Italian cab driver was cursing his 5 speed turbo Diesel Nox/Terrain and was trading it for a DI gasser. Too much time in the shop, too many bills and too much lost income from not having a vehicle operational.
There are some people who believe the diesel is the ideal choice for all ICE applications and no amount will change their minds. They keep quoting heavy, low rpm, torque ,simple, long life efficiency etc. Sure if the years are 1950-2006. The DI gas is the engine of choice for small and light to medium duty applications .Now that the EPA is trying to eliminate the diesel with Tier IV and soon Tier V emissions. And force electric vehicles upon the public.

·
Registered
35 Posts
What are you not understanding regarding your previous simple reliable diesels being non emission with mechanical injection pumps Vs. Todays Tier IV diesels with common rail injection, urea injection, variable wastegate, EGR, EGR cooler and a particulate filter.
As for reliable emissions systems in Europe. In 2014 our Italian cab driver was cursing his 5 speed turbo Diesel Nox/Terrain and was trading it for a DI gasser. Too much time in the shop, too many bills and too much lost income from not having a vehicle operational.
There are some people who believe the diesel is the ideal choice for all ICE applications and no amount will change their minds. They keep quoting heavy, low rpm, torque ,simple, long life efficiency etc. Sure if the years are 1950-2006. The DI gas is the engine of choice for small and light to medium duty applications .Now that the EPA is trying to eliminate the diesel with Tier IV and soon Tier V emissions. And force electric vehicles upon the public.
Still no real data????

·
Registered
517 Posts
Waiting on your real data.. I see dealerships servicing light, medium and HD diesels for Tier IV system failures. The Tier IV diesel is no longer the simple reliable engine it used to be 15+ years ago.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Waiting on your real data.. I see dealerships servicing light, medium and HD diesels for Tier IV system failures. The Tier IV diesel is no longer the simple reliable engine it used to be 15+ years ago.
I offered no statement as you did : "Diesels use in light duty applications fail too often. "
You never ask me to provide data until now. As I do not have any data, I for one do not pontificate about things that I have no idea about. And as it has become readily apparent you don't have any as if you did you would not post stuff like " I see dealerships servicing light, medium and HD diesels for Tier IV system failures. " Or you would have provided it by now. So can you admit this is nothing more that your opinion with no real world information other than "I see dealerships " to back it up ?
And as a matter of fact the OP is the only person who has posted anything about a catastrophic failure, complete engine replacement of this particular light duty diesel engine that I have read since joining this forum.

·
Registered
517 Posts
GM was tired of paying for diesel warranty work on the cruz, terrain, Nox etc and cancelled the option.

·
Registered
35 Posts
GM was tired of paying for diesel warranty work on the cruz, terrain, Nox etc and cancelled the option.
Ok I will bite again, What GM dealer or rep did you get that from ? The Data from my GM fleet rep is Sales did not support GM to continue offering this motor. You must be able to understand if it will not generate profit they will not continue to offer the option. This particular version of this motor has been is service in Europe since 2013 and longer for previous EURO emission that has exceeded our requirement models. Here is the DATA Please read and educate yourself regarding the background and development of the current offering that is still available in multiple lines across the pond : GM Medium Diesel engine - Wikipedia.

·
Registered
287 Posts
That's a pretty bold statement, have that in writing? The 1.6TD wasn't out long enough in the US to generate any sort of profit impacting warranty issues. I've owned both the Cruze and Equinox Diesel's and haven't had any warranty claims related to the engine on either one with an almost combined 100,000 miles. From the press release the reason for discontinuing the models was the low take rate. Let's face it, these are low budget cars so most are sold as cheaply as possible. They also never really advertised the diesel and most people don't want to deal with greasy diesel pumps. In the three years of ownership I have seen maybe 1 other diesel Cruze/Terrain/Equinox. The dealer that services my Equinox says I am the only one they have had.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts