GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2010 chevy equinox 2.4
851 Posts
With a egr blocker arent you experiencing higher engine temperature like hotter catylitic converter hotter combustion chamber ect increased emissions. By blocking the egr theres nothing to control the temperature of the cat and it should be a constant temperature not just really hot all the time by doing that your replacing one pollutant like hydrocarbons with increased levels of other pollutants and a shorter engine and catylitic converter lifespan.

·
Registered
58 Posts
With a egr blocker arent you experiencing higher engine temperature like hotter catylitic converter hotter combustion chamber ect increased emissions. By blocking the egr theres nothing to control the temperature of the cat and it should be a constant temperature not just really hot all the time by doing that your replacing one pollutant like hydrocarbons with increased levels of other pollutants and a shorter engine and catylitic converter lifespan.
Ok let me splane this to you as noted previously the EGR blocker plate dose not completely shut down the flow of spent dirty exhaust it reduces it. There is enough flow through the 3/8 inch hole to keep the ECM happy and not set a fault code.
By giving the motor the ability to ingest more clean air you are theoretically restoring efficiency that has been reduced by the introduction of spent gasses into the combustion cycle to cool the combustion process. EGR was introduced to reduce NOX emissions in 2003 but with the addition of Urea (32% solution of ammonia & deionized water) in 2010 injected in the exhaust stream post DPF NOX is reduced. There is not a conventional catalytic converter as in a gasoline powered vehicle. It is a diesel particulate filter that traps soot particles once a predetermined amount of back pressure is reached in the DPF the ECM will determine the method to burn the soot or re-generate the DPF. This is performed by one of two methods the preferred and more efficient method is a passive regen the DPS reaches a temp somewhere north of 650-700 degrees by simply being driven at a steady highway speed for a predetermined time based upon the level of soot in the DPF. Second is a forced re-gen by injecting fuel into the DPF to raise the temperature to burn the soot. This is done with the 5 the fuel line on the fuel rail not feeding the injectors on the motor of the 1.6 liter. Both of the burn methods are a completely seamless operation or in my 86K miles of operation I have never identified a regen cycle based on a change of the way it runs but I believe I have noticed increased fuel usage based on dash MPG readings. And there is my perceived benefit of reduced DEF usage but that could be me. Hope this helps your understanding of diesel emission systems I know when I went to my first class on diesel engine emissions in 2007 I was dreading the up-coming changes, early years were horrible ie: Fords 6.4 but in recent years improvements in the systems have made them relatively trouble free for owners who understand the operation. The huge issue with new diesels is extended engine idling but that is another story.....Bill.

·
Registered
2018 GMC Terrain SLT 1.6L
1 Posts
I have a 2018 GMC Terrain and just this year everything seems to breaking. I put a lot of miles on my vehicles and this one has just over 125,000 on it. At around 120,000 the transmission and torque converter went out so I got it replaced at the dealership. At around 124,000 the A/C compressor went out on it and that was replaced at the same dealership. Thankfully I have an awesome service manager, who knows me and helps me out as much as possible. At around 125,000 I just got the message "Service Emission System see owners manual now 175 mi until 65 MPH max speed". My service manager even recommended to do a complete delete with tuner on it, but I can't find anything remotely close to what is available for the big 3 diesel trucks. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to get rid of this vehicle and was hoping to get at least 200,000 miles out of it but I feel like it is slowly dying. FYI my wife drove it for the first 2 years of ownership and would idle it in gulf south heat for about a hour a day while waiting for sports practices to end. I think the idling is what has caused all these repairs but it will be mine now and the idling won't continue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well long story short, my tune I ordered off line didn't work. So, I took it to a local diesel guy that I was referred to from a coworker, and had a dispute over parts and costs, so he told me he would no longer work on my vehicle. I'm probably going to abandon my delete effort and trade my Equinox. If you don't have any tuning knowledge or have a buddy that can do it, the diesel engine is finished in my book. It's just not worth the hassle. And it has been a HUGE hassle.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Well long story short, my tune I ordered off line didn't work. So, I took it to a local diesel guy that I was referred to from a coworker, and had a dispute over parts and costs, so he told me he would no longer work on my vehicle. I'm probably going to abandon my delete effort and trade my Equinox. If you don't have any tuning knowledge or have a buddy that can do it, the diesel engine is finished in my book. It's just not worth the hassle. And it has been a HUGE hassle.
What did you order?

·
Registered
13 Posts
What did you order?
I didn't order anything, I just asked for a delete. Which the guy obliged.

The guy working on it tuned it, drove it, then told me it needed a few sensors and the turbo was seized up. He quoted me from a dealership around $1000 for parts. I already agreed to pay him $2500 for the tune and labor. Ok? Ok. Here's where the mix up starts...

Originally, when my car messed up, I was told ( by a Chevy dealership) that it was all emissions related equipment, which WAS NOT covered on my $4k extended warranty that I purchased when I bought the vehicle.

The sensors and turbo that were the real culprits WERE covered under my warranty, so I wanted the warranty to pick up the $1000. The guy that was working on it didn't want to deal with my warranty company, and wanted me to pay out of pocket the additional $1000 for parts.

So I decided to take the car to a dealership to do the warranty work, since he didn't want to do it. He didn't like that, and held my car ransom until I paid him $755 for his time and effort. So basically, I paid the guy $755 for my car to remain undrivable.

I am fed up with the whole thing. This has ruined my diesel deleting experience. Unless I get a great deal on a future diesel vehicle and meet a tuning wiz along the way, I will never own another emissions diesel vehicle. Ever.

·
Registered
137 Posts
****. How many miles were on the car? 80k is the emissions warranty

·
Registered
137 Posts
So who all has done a delete? I'd like to know what all you did to the egr cooler...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Since I'm trading my Equinox, I will sell my downpipe and EGR plate to the first person who wants it. I paid $750 for it. I'll let it go for $600. It's practically brand new. It's has some soot residue on it from test driving it after my tune was put on it, but I blew it out with an air compressor. They're both stainless steel.

·
Registered
137 Posts
You may want to come down on that. I paid 600 for the kit last week

·
Registered
137 Posts
It's like 650 on ebay I think...but I got it from the guy directly that makes it...one less mouth to feed..

Reactions: IABill

·
Registered
137 Posts
No clue

41 - 57 of 57 Posts