GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
10,567 Posts
I am 99% sure that the VUE came with a Honda Engine on some of the "higher" performance models. And yes, the Prism and also the Pontiac Vibe came with a Toyota 4 cylinder Engine that was pretty bullet-proof. I traded my '03 Vibe in on my '10 Equinox,m and at 100K miles, the engine was flawless - in fact the whole car was.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I stand corrected. In the early 2000s we were looking to replace a'95 Explorsr and remember looking at a Saturn Vue. It had a pretty powerful V6 that I remembered as a Japanese engine. I remembered it as a Toyota engine, turns out that they actually used the Honda V6. My bad!
BTW, we ended up with a Subaru outback and never looked back.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I am 99% sure that the VUE came with a Honda Engine on some of the "higher" performance models.
2002 & 2003 Vues with a V6 were the GM Opel 3.0 L with an Aisin 5 speed automatic

2004 through 2007 V6 Vues had the Honda 3.5 V6 and the problematic Honda 5 speed automatic.

All of the 4 cylinder models 2002-2007 were the GM 2.2 Ecotec... very problematic CVT trans 2002-2005, GM 4 speed automatic in later models or 5 speed Getrag manual transmission with FWD only.
2008 V6 were GM motors...3.6 L with 6 speed automatic.

Back to the topic at hand...We have both 2019 Acadia 3.6 and 2019 Terrain 1.5 in the driveway. Terrain better on gas around town...Acadia better on straight highway trips. I like the 1.5 in the Terrain. If its as solid as the 2.2 that was in my Vue I'll be a happy camper for the next 15 years. I'm not reading about any real problems with them yet so I'm feeling pretty confident. The SGE architecture has been around since 2014 so they should have found any issues and hopefully straightened then out by now.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I am 99% sure that the VUE came with a Honda Engine on some of the "higher" performance models. And yes, the Prism and also the Pontiac Vibe came with a Toyota 4 cylinder Engine that was pretty bullet-proof. I traded my '03 Vibe in on my '10 Equinox,m and at 100K miles, the engine was flawless - in fact the whole car was.

And. . to make things even more confusing - - apparently Yamaha had a hand in some of the Pontiac Vibe engines:
" Aimed at a small niche of performance-minded consumers, the Vibe GT came with a Yamaha-designed high-revving 1.8-liter four-cylinder rated for 164 hp at a lofty 7,600 rpm."

https://www.edmunds.com/pontiac/vibe/_1/

My neighbor's wife bought a 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT with 5 speed manual and 'yota 2.4L engine in 2009 and is still going as is our 2009 Saturn Aura with the original GM non GDI 2.4L 4 cylinder and 6 speed automatic. No issues with the GM 2.4L engine and only the cam shaft actuator solenoids replaced at 101,000 miles.

Both neighbors Vibe and daughters Saturn Aura have over 130,000 miles on them.

Gasoline Direct Injection destroyed the GM 2.4L engine as it did other car makers ventures into GDI.

·
Registered
223 Posts
And.

My neighbor's wife bought a 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT with 5 speed manual and 'yota 2.4L engine .
That be the same yota engine with the oil consumption issues. I also had a 2009 Vibe but with the 1.8L yota engine. It wasn't powerful or particularly quiet but nothing about the vibe was quiet. Only issue I had with it was the oil dip stick tube broke in half one day. A combination of the dip stick o-ring being too tight in the tube and the tube rusting/failing at the weld point to the mounting bracket.
Anyway, the 1.8L, reliable and no oil consumption issues, the 2.4L yota engine=junk. There were plenty of vibe owners not happy with their 2.4L on the vibe forums.
I have a family member with a 2006 Rav4, same 2.4L and it drinks oil to the tune of a couple liters between oil changes. Still runs mind you but pings like a mother F'er due to all the carbon build up in the cylinders.

·
Registered
299 Posts
A little more off topic...:wink:

I traded in my V6 Isuzu Rodeo on our 19 Nox...the V6 Isuzu motor ran smooth only had about 130k on the clock. It was about the same size SUV really as the Nox. The motor didn't leak anything but it had a healthy appetite for oil that would very depending on the load. On the expressway if you would push that Rodeo 70+ it would sometimes chew up a full qt every 150 miles. Heavy 20/50 dino oil slowed it's consumption considerably but living here in the frozen tundra corruption center Illinois, the heavy oil was an issue for the cold months when I needed this vehicle & the 4wd the most! Happy to see it go, I'm sure the dealer only showed $ on the paper for trade in so I'm not feeling terrible about anyone getting shafted. Most of my vehicles when I'm done with em are ready for the crusher.

So yes we drifted off the specific subject asked again...but all post are related, even the bashing cause we all have opinions and here on the internet getting advice for free many times you have to consider you are getting what you are paying for.

Good luck with your purchase!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I traded my '07 Vibe in on my '12 Malibu. The Vibe, while overall an excellent car, is still the only car I have ever bought new that left me on the side of the road (Toyota ECM failed). The Malibu, on the other hand, was perfect from the day I bought it until the day I traded it in on the '19 Equinox.

·
Registered
8 Posts
All,
I am considering purchasing a 2018 Equinox with the 1.5L turbo engine. I am trying to figure out if this engine can be run up into higher mileages (i.e. 200K+) if not abused and well maintained. Most folks I talk to are telling me to stay from anything with a Turbo, but can't really provide any reason why. I have found articles on the web about "low speed pre-ignition" cracking pistons etc. Does anyone have any actual real-world advise or input regarding this engine's reliability? I suspect there is alot of misinformation on the web due to the fact this engine is relatively new.

Thanks in advance.
The only comment I can make is that my 2018 Equinox FWD 1.5 Turbo (15000 miles) has a noticeable turbo lag, when cold, at 1500 rpm on a light throttle and feels like the engine is kicking back through the transmission. I don't consider it major but thought you should know.

Overall fuel consumption has been 33.2 mpg over 15000 miles. Not too shabby!

·
Registered
10,567 Posts
Brit -i have the same engine, and have not experienced what you are. I would bring it to the dealer, and have them see what is wrong.

Reactions: The Brit

·
Registered
216 Posts
I agree with Craig above.

The 1.5T is ok in my daughters LT 2WD.

Recently I rented on a trip a 4WD with the 1.5T, totally unacceptable IMO, couldn't pull a stick out of a lard pail.

The 2.0T is awesome, other than the fuel debate, Premium in some locations around Chicago near $4 gal
. We run 87 octane almost all the time. I had the spark plugs changed at 55,000 mile they were ready to change and a little sooty. That's from running 87 octane. We run off-road tires, bull bar, and basket with a full sized spare, 2.0 gas can in it. We get 21-24 mpg on the road at 70 mph.

Reactions: Crankme69

·
Registered
299 Posts
. We run 87 octane almost all the time. I had the spark plugs changed at 55,000 mile they were ready to change and a little sooty. That's from running 87 octane. We run off-road tires, bull bar, and basket with a full sized spare, 2.0 gas can in it. We get 21-24 mpg on the road at 70 mph.
Craig thanks for sharing your experience here. I suspect the current spark advance technology will adjust accordingly...

If you still have the old plugs or maybe you already inspected them closely to look see if any tiny specs like pepper or smaller were present along with the soot in your old plugs?

·
Registered
1 Posts
All,
I am considering purchasing a 2018 Equinox with the 1.5L turbo engine. I am trying to figure out if this engine can be run up into higher mileages (i.e. 200K+) if not abused and well maintained. Most folks I talk to are telling me to stay from anything with a Turbo, but can't really provide any reason why. I have found articles on the web about "low speed pre-ignition" cracking pistons etc. Does anyone have any actual real-world advise or input regarding this engine's reliability? I suspect there is alot of misinformation on the web due to the fact this engine is relatively new.

Thanks in advance.
I have a 2018 Terrain SLE with a 1.5 litter Turbo. I am on my second engine with just over 31000 miles. In the first there was a problem with the oil pump causing it to through a rod. It is now in the shop again with bad bearings on the #4 piston. The Crank shafts is shot. So far not so good.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I didn't realize Mudpuddle was pro toyota. He can have them. I came from a Rav4 and didn't have a good experience. Compared engine to engine, the 1.5T is far superior to the 2.5L toyota. similar hp, significantly more torque and much quieter to boot. Don't speak to me about Toyota reliability either. I owned the Rav4 for a year and was nearly stranded in my driveway one cold morning because it refused to move. Felt like the transmission was slipping horribly. Took it into the dealer only to be told there is nothing wrong and I should let it warm up for 10 minutes before driving on cold days. And with that, I dumped it for what has been a totally reliable Nox that gets noticeably better fuel economy.

Ya, mudpuddle can keep is Toyotas....
Thanks for that. People need to understand the best Toyotas were built prior to 2012. That's the year they started cheapening their workmanship. I see Camrys from the late 80's, 90's, and 00's all the time. Ones built later still have great engines and transmissions, but their body panels are thin and weak. Bumpers hanging off and fenders shaking on the highway.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Plants are everywhere...destroying the useful purpose of internet sad & create a challenge for admins to boot out

·
Registered
376 Posts
Too early for long term reliability result for GM's new turbo 4's.. We got the 2.0 in our terrain and love it.. Doesn't use any oil and and has been perfect so far, it's a 19'.. Over 30mpg on the highway at 70mph.. I can live with that AND I can tow my two place enclosed snowmobile trailer, can't do that with the 1.5

21 - 38 of 38 Posts