GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,
I am considering purchasing a 2018 Equinox with the 1.5L turbo engine. I am trying to figure out if this engine can be run up into higher mileages (i.e. 200K+) if not abused and well maintained. Most folks I talk to are telling me to stay from anything with a Turbo, but can't really provide any reason why. I have found articles on the web about "low speed pre-ignition" cracking pistons etc. Does anyone have any actual real-world advise or input regarding this engine's reliability? I suspect there is alot of misinformation on the web due to the fact this engine is relatively new.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10,567 Posts
I don't think the 1.5l has been offered in the equinox long enough to know the answer, but maybe you might try the Cruze forum. I think it may have been offered longer on the Cruze, but I am not positive. In the 3 yrs that it has been available on the equinox, there are very few reported problems.

·
Registered
216 Posts
In my opinion buy the 2.0T. go drive the 1.5 T first then do what I did drive the 2.0T. you will never want a 1.5T. 58,000 on my 2.0T no problems, except keeping my foot out of it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I agree with Craig above.

The 1.5T is ok in my daughters LT 2WD.

Recently I rented on a trip a 4WD with the 1.5T, totally unacceptable IMO, couldn't pull a stick out of a lard pail.

The 2.0T is awesome, other than the fuel debate, Premium in some locations around Chicago near $4 gal :help:

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Why are you on this forum?
I know what you mean.
It gets old after a while with his bashing of GM's 4 cyl engines.
Granted some 4 cyl.'s have problems but not all, I have one in my Encore so I know.

He mentions Toyota a lot, perhaps that would be a better choice.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Check the poor reliability of GM's 4 cyl engines in the last decade...then run away asap.
It's true that GM has produced many marginal quality SIDI four cylinder engines. But today your advise would eliminate the consideration of any new Equinox or Terrain.

The 1.5; 1.6 diesel; and the 2.0 engines seem to be on a different path quality wise; I wouldn't want to condemn this latest generation of four cylinder offerings unless it's warranted.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Pre Direct Injection...GM had some very reliable 4 cylinders from 1.9L to 2.4L. Had 3 saturns from the 1990's till today...each crossed 150 K miles with not an engine issue...

·
Registered
327 Posts
There are very few engines on the market today that would not make 2-300+K miles if maintenance is kept up. There is no doubt that a port injected non turbo 4 cylinder will have less problems but very few if any offer that anymore. Even Toyota's are direct injected I believe. The problems with turbo engines are usually tied to the turbo it's self. They life a very tough life of high rpm and extreme temperatures. Turbo seals will fail eventually which leads to oil in the intake and causing problems. Even brand new turbos will leave an oil residue in the intake pipes. This isn't a GM issue though, the Ecoboost, 1.5T in Honda's and pretty much every manufacturer will eventually have this issue. If you don't want to have this you are limited to Mazda and Toyota products right now. What you give up is TQ compared to a NA engine. Test drive a CX5 or Rav4 compared to the other turbo offerings and it will be immediately noticeable that the turbo engines pull harder off the line.

As for the 1.5 vs 2.0 vs 1.6. First off the cruze has a 1.4T shared with the Encore and Trax. It's not the same engine at all as the 1.5 in the equinox and terrain. The 1.5 "feels" plenty fast. In normal every day driving you will be hard pressed to notice the difference between it and the 2.0 especially in the Terrain with the 9 speed automatic. In the Equinox it can feel labored at time in part to the wider gear spacing of the 6 speed auto. When it comes to merging and passing there is a huge difference in the 1.5 and 2.0 but I never found my self wanting for more with the 1.5. Some may not admit it, but I got significantly better mileage with the 1.5 in real world driving than the 2.0 loaners I had. My biggest complaint with the 1.5 was the lag whether it was turbo or throttle mapping it just didn't respond quick enough. The 2.0 has more tq off boost than the 1.5 so it makes the 1.5 feel even more laggy.

For many other reasons not related to the engine I ended up in a 1.6 Diesel Equinox. To me its the happy middle ground. In the low revs it feels the strongest of the bunch with little lag and a big hit of tq. That does however fall off drastically as the rpm rises but I rarely need to wring it's neck that much. The diesel feels the most like a non turbo high tq engine which I prefer. Ultimately you can't go wrong with any of them, they are all class competitive and should last longer than most people will keep the car if cared for properly.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I believe the Saturn used Toyota engines.
The Saturn Vue in certain years had a Honda V6 and transmission. The engine was great, the transmission was garbage. Other than that Saturn has either had their own engine in the early years, or a GM engine in later years.

·
Registered
223 Posts
mudpuddle

The Toyota forum is waiting for you.
IceMan
I didn't realize Mudpuddle was pro toyota. He can have them. I came from a Rav4 and didn't have a good experience. Compared engine to engine, the 1.5T is far superior to the 2.5L toyota. similar hp, significantly more torque and much quieter to boot. Don't speak to me about Toyota reliability either. I owned the Rav4 for a year and was nearly stranded in my driveway one cold morning because it refused to move. Felt like the transmission was slipping horribly. Took it into the dealer only to be told there is nothing wrong and I should let it warm up for 10 minutes before driving on cold days. And with that, I dumped it for what has been a totally reliable Nox that gets noticeably better fuel economy.

Ya, mudpuddle can keep is Toyotas....

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
My GM Commercial for the Day . . .

Not sure what "Mudpuddle's " agenda is.
However he has been kind of touting for 'yota" for a year plus. . . mainly because of the 4 cylinder engine. He references getting a different SUV below.
I have a 2014 Terrain with the 3.6. Only issue has been a HVAC actuator. Given the new engine choices that GM has in the Terrain, I'll go with a Toyota Highlander or Honda Pilot next time.
GM still makes quite a few mid size SUV like the GMC Acadia and others with 6 cylinder engines.
If you all will excuse the plug. .. . why does he not consider the GMC Acadia? I have and we enjoy that it neatly fits in the same garage space to spare just like the 2015 Equinox LTZ V6 we previously owned.

And for a daily driver, wife loves her Chevy "Red Rampage" Sonic hatchback. Surprise. . . essentially the same size as Buick Encore or Chevy Trax (except for 2.5" height) and has a port injected 1.8L 4 cylinder engine, REAL 6 speed automatic transmission and zippy enough to work and even freeway cruises.

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
I would be all over an Acadia but one of my goals was to get something large enough to handle the family travel plans but fuel efficient enough not to hurt the pocket book for my daily commute. The Acadias are nice for sure. Coworker just bought one, all black with a special black out trim. But he is a grandpa and needs room for strollers, kids toys...etc.
They look good, have a nice ride and smooth V6 but he gets horrible fuel economy. All city driving and he is somewhere north of 15 L/100kms. My average is 7.1l/100kms with a best last summer down to 5.1.

We are getting off topic though. I only have 42000kms. So far I have had no issues. One thing I would do to help ensure no issues with the engine is to change the oil more frequently than the monitor tells you. I'm not comfortable going over 10,000kms on any engine but particularly one with a turbo and active valve control. I've changed the oil twice so far (bought used with 20k on the clock). Both times the monitor was showing about 25% remaining oil life.

Reactions: JayTee2014

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Acadia has been getting 21 to 22 MPG mixed city and 31 to 33 MPG highway going +/-70MPH.
Wife's Sonic has a 3 year mixed average of 28.2 MPG with up to 36 MPG highway driving.

And agree,, getting off topic but there are other GM alternatives to Mudpuddles Toyota with their own issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
All, thanks for the responses. I have always owned only GM products and have always had good luck for the most part. I am still not sure what I am going to do. I just don't know if I can see a turbo motor (any manufacturer) running up to 275,000 without some sort of issue. I don't hot rod and am pretty easy on vehicles, so maybe it would.......

·
Registered
223 Posts
And for a daily driver, wife loves her Chevy "Red Rampage" Sonic hatchback. Surprise. . . essentially the same size as Buick Encore or Chevy Trax (except for 2.5" height) and has a port injected 1.8L 4 cylinder engine, REAL 6 speed automatic transmission and zippy enough to work and even freeway cruises.

We have a sonic as well, had a 2017 that got totalled in an accident, nice kinetic blue with the 1.8L and replaced it with a 2018 Red Hot/arrest me red colour depending on who you ask. They are great little cars but surprisingly no better on gas than my Nox.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I believe the Saturn used Toyota engines.
The Saturn Vue in certain years had a Honda V6 and transmission. The engine was great, the transmission was garbage. Other than that Saturn has either had their own engine in the early years, or a GM engine in later years.

Indeed ..I think HCO41 is confusing with Geo/prizm line of cars that chevy and toyota made in the same plant in CA (?)

I loved the no haggle principle of Saturn dealerships ...and their cars were very good mechanically. I still some first gen cars on the road from mid 1990's

1 - 20 of 38 Posts