GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ah the question as old as time...what fuel to use. I know there is more of a robust discussion with the 2.0 turbo, but what about the 1.5 turbo? In my prior Equinox (2.4l), I noticed an appreciable difference when using premium, especially in the hot summer months here in Texas.

Realize the specs for the 1.5 turbo call for 87, but do you think 93 helps at all? I fill up at Costco, so the premium cost is not much more than regular at other stations.

Just curious what others think and have experienced.

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Ah the question as old as time...what fuel to use. I know there is more of a robust discussion with the 2.0 turbo, but what about the 1.5 turbo? In my prior Equinox (2.4l), I noticed an appreciable difference when using premium, especially in the hot summer months here in Texas.

Realize the specs for the 1.5 turbo call for 87, but do you think 93 helps at all? I fill up at Costco, so the premium cost is not much more than regular at other stations.

Just curious what others think and have experienced.

Hello and welcome!

First, owners manual states you can use 87 octane. This is also discussed in the 2.0L threads if you read through it becasue others have brought up the same question reagarding the 1.5L turbo engine. The 2.0L says you can use 87, but recommends premium fuel.

There are already a couple of threads here covering this conversation uder the 2.0L topic if you read through.. Best thing to do is. . search this way. It will give you more easily accessed and numerous hits and more !

1.) open up another tab.
2.) google Equinoxforum followed by the topic you are looking for - 2018 equinox premium gas.

And - - -- you will see Lots' Of Hits - --

https://www.google.com/search?q=equinoxforum+2018+equinox+premium+gas&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
I think he is trying to figure out if using premium in the 1.5L will provide any benefits. While I haven't tried it, I would guess there would be zero benefit. Premium fuel is never even mentioned when specs are shown on the 1.5L, and since there is no more BTUs in premium than regular, the only benefit would be a cleaner engine from more detergents, but no more power or gas mileage. IMHO !

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
I think he is trying to figure out if using premium in the 1.5L will provide any benefits. While I haven't tried it, I would guess there would be zero benefit. Premium fuel is never even mentioned when specs are shown on the 1.5L, and since there is no more BTUs in premium than regular, the only benefit would be a cleaner engine from more detergents, but no more power or gas mileage. IMHO !

If you buy top tier gasoline, I doubt there are even any additional detergent or cleaner running with Premium fuel.

Exon, Mobil, Chevron, and even Kwik Trip all tout the same cleaning ability with al octane levels. Tier 1 indicates such as well.

·
Registered
407 Posts
On my 1.5 I've only used 87, from Shell, Esso, or Petro Canada. I don't think there are any benefits to running anything higher in the 1.5. As noted the other threads are a lot of back and forth on the 2.0 .. while you can in a pinch use 87, GM recommends higher and I really think we are going to see problems in a couple years when people start complaining about engine issues with the 2.0 and find out its because they cheaped out on fuel.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. I grew up in the 80s and remember some of our neighbors with their turbo K-cars (horrible comparison I know), but I seem to recall those really benefited from the higher octane, irrespective of what the owners manual said. This is my first turbo car, so just wanted to check in on the issue.

I think I'll run 87...and maybe the higher stuff in the middle of our brutal Texas summers.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Richardson E'Nox---Off the wall question: Did you buy your 'Nox from Reliable? I drove to them from Copperas Cove in '12 to buy a Camaro; they were the only dealer in the state that had the color and options we wanted.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did! They are a really cool dealer (plus I live in Richardson so they are local to me). I have bought three Equinoxes from them and it's always a nice experience.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I was pleased with the experience with them. I essentially purchased the car over the phone and gave them a credit card deposit of $100 for them to hold the car from a Thursday to Saturday when we could get up there. They had our Camaro sitting on the showroom floor waiting for us--we got there before they opened and the let us inside to wait until our salesman arrived. If it weren't for the drive, I'd deal with them for every vehicle transaction!

·
Registered
75 Posts
After having several turbo engines, I have found they work the best with the premium gas. The one Turbo that I did not burn premium ended up with a burned out catalytic converter prematurely .

I believe there is other aspects to the use of premium, like the fuel injectors.

As far as gas mileage goes, I did get just a few more miles per gallon using premium.

I would burn the premium fuel if I where you.

Just my two cents worth.

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Not to offend. . . . but every automotive forum, reviews and articles I've read on buying vehicles has conditioned me to avoid anything with a turbo engine. No matter how advanced, how high end, they always require more care, monitoring and maintenance, second only to owning a diesel.
And the regular/premium fuel question is just another aspect.

At this point, when I need to purchase my next passenger vehicle, I think I would even prefer a hybrid over something with a turbo.

The types of problems I always seem to read about are waste gate problems, air intake or vacuum leaks, oil contamination of the turbo due to PCV issues, and more.

I hope and wish the best for anyone with a new Equinox/Terrain turbo, but I am pretty much holding my breath to see how things pan out.

Reactions: 17 Nox

·
Registered
407 Posts
I hope and wish the best for anyone with a new Equinox/Terrain turbo, but I am pretty much holding my breath to see how things pan out.

This is exactly why I leased mine, easy to walk away from when the time is up.

My dad has had a couple issues with his 12 turbo cruz and he is looking to get rid of it now. His solstice is a turbo too but I think that little car has less than 5,000KM on it after 10 years lol

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
When I replaced the turbo on my Cummins it was about $1,200 plus labor, out of warranty of course.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
When I replaced the turbo on my Cummins it was about $1,200 plus labor, out of warranty of course.
I want to say "Ouch!" but also that seems decent to include the new turbo.

The sticking point with Octane is that most people think it makes more power. In truth, the only thing octane does for you is allow more compression. So we see a 600 HP street can and see that it needs 100 octane and make the link that octane=horse power. No, if you run fine on 87 octane gas, 93 won't change anything. If you bump up your boost with a larger turbo, or advance timeing, then you probably would do well with higher octane gas. Until then, save your money.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I want to say "Ouch!" but also that seems decent to include the new turbo.

The sticking point with Octane is that most people think it makes more power. In truth, the only thing octane does for you is allow more compression. So we see a 600 HP street can and see that it needs 100 octane and make the link that octane=horse power. No, if you run fine on 87 octane gas, 93 won't change anything. If you bump up your boost with a larger turbo, or advance timeing, then you probably would do well with higher octane gas. Until then, save your money.
My 3.6L Camaro has 11.3:1 compression ratio and is rated at 323 hp on 87 octane; able to do so because of the Direct Injection--no pre-ignition because the fuel isn't there until just before the plug fires. Computer controls make some things so much easier with engines.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Not to offend. . . . but every automotive forum, reviews and articles I've read on buying vehicles has conditioned me to avoid anything with a turbo engine. No matter how advanced, how high end, they always require more care, monitoring and maintenance, second only to owning a diesel.
And the regular/premium fuel question is just another aspect.

At this point, when I need to purchase my next passenger vehicle, I think I would even prefer a hybrid over something with a turbo.

The types of problems I always seem to read about are waste gate problems, air intake or vacuum leaks, oil contamination of the turbo due to PCV issues, and more.

My 2014 LTZ 2.0 Turbo had over 50,000 miles with nary a problem. Granted, I don't know what it would have been at 100K or 150K, but it's been years since I drove one to that distance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fuel (LYX - 1.5L L4 Turbo
Engine)
Regular Unleaded Fuel
Use only Regular 87 octane — (R
+M)/2 — or higher unleaded
gasoline in your vehicle. TOP TIER
Detergent Gasoline is
recommended. Do not use gasoline
with an octane rating lower as it will
result in reduced performance and
Chevrolet Equinox Owner Manual (GMNA-Localizing-U.S./Canada/Mexico12145779) - 2019 - crc - 3/29/18
26 In Brief
lower fuel economy.
See Recommended Fuel (LYX -
1.5L L4 Turbo Engine) 0 251 or
Recommended Fuel (LTG - 2.0L L4
Turbo Engine) 0 251.

Fuel (LTG - 2.0L L4 Turbo
Engine)
Premium Recommended
Use premium 93 octane — (R+M)/2
— unleaded gasoline in your
vehicle. TOP TIER Detergent