GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at buying a 2019 Equinox - leaning towards 1.5 litre FWD- with a good set of snow tires. Do they produce enough power for winter driving here in Eastern Ontario. Thoughts? Ideas? suggestions?

·
Registered
495 Posts
My thoughts on the 1.5 FWD would be; marginal but adequate power. I have a 1.5 in a Malibu, and it's more than adequate; in an Equinox that pushes more air and is heavier, it has its limits.

I personally prefer the 2.0 in an Equinox, but it's a tough choice. The 2.0 is a premium fuel recommended engine and is a huge power upgrade over the 1.5. Fuel mileage isn't too far apart between the two.

I would consider a FWD, 1.5; but wouldn't put a 1.5 in an AWD model.

Reactions: LMG

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
I have the 1.5 AWD and never yearned for more power. But I don't go to the drag strip.

·
Registered
110 Posts
It depends on what you value most out of your ride. More than adequate power and great fuel economy, get the 1.5T. if you want extra power and lower fuel economy + higher cost of fill-ups (premium fuel), get the 2.0L.
I have the 1.5T and have no complaints with the power and amazed at how well it does on gas. My new low rolling average is 5.1 L/100kms, mostly on my daily commute. I never would have thought that possible without a diesel or hybrid but the numbers don't lie.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It depends on what you value most out of your ride. More than adequate power and great fuel economy, get the 1.5T. if you want extra power and lower fuel economy + higher cost of fill-ups (premium fuel), get the 2.0L.
I have the 1.5T and have no complaints with the power and amazed at how well it does on gas. My new low rolling average is 5.1 L/100kms, mostly on my daily commute. I never would have thought that possible without a diesel or hybrid but the numbers don't lie.
thanks for the reply? how is it in the snow? snow tires?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I haven't had a chance to drive mine in any significant snow yet but I generally find any FWD car with good all seasons or better yet, snow tires, will have no problem as long as you drive appropriately for the conditions.

·
Registered
29 Posts
This choice is really up to you but i personally went with the 2.0 mainly for the better performance. Even with the 2.0 I personally consider the power of the car to just be ok but for others accustomed to less powerful vehicles the 1.5 seems to be adequate. One thing that you have to consider with the 2.0 is that premium fuel is recommended which some people feel is a big deal. Also the gas mileage difference between the 2 is minimal, i still get over 30mpg's on the highway with the 2.0 and mine is the heavier awd model. As far as the fwd 1.5 im sure it will be fine in the snow as long as your tires are decent.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have the 1.5 AWD. Power is personal. I am happy with it. I pulled a 1500 pound trailer up a mountain, starting mid mountain and accelerated effortlessly to 50mph in a short distance. Before I bought, I compared torque and hp curves to my 3.3L caravan. The 1.5L outperforms the 3.3L, no question.
One thing I noticed was the Equinox seems more powerful when in AWD. But I stay in FWD mode for economy.
I didn't want to run premium in a 2.0, nor pay the price for the engine.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have had 2 Equinox`s with the 1.5 & they were ok for me.
I just bought a 2.0 a month ago & really like the motor so far.
I was told that it will run ok on 87 octane & that is what I have been using.
It seems fine so far after 1600 miles.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Personally, I'd never buy a GM 4 cylinder. I'd opt for the 2.7 in a Toyota Highlander.

Your issues seems to be wanting a V6. The newer Acadia is just slightly larger than your Equinox. And we are getting better MPG with the 2019 Acadia. We had a 2015 Equinox LTZ V6 for 4.6 years.

You can get a 2019 GMC Acadia SLT-1 with leather, 8-way power seats, and more for about $31K and it has the 3.6L LGX V6 engine and 6 speed automatic.

I did.

No need to get a Toyota with it's high price and it's own problems.

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Personally, I'd never buy a GM 4 cylinder. I'd opt for the 2.7 in a Toyota Highlander.
Why? There isn't anything special about a toyota 4 cylinder unless you think a lot of NVH is special. I had one for all of 12 months ('17 Rav 4, 2.5L). Less powerful, more thirsty and louder than my 1.5T.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thanks for your replies. I decided to go with the FWD 1.5 L . I will be picking it up this coming week !!
Congrats! You should be happy with it. I have had mine for about 6 months now and still get a smile on my face when I drive it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
We got the 2.0 liter and I love it.. I really didn't want to buy an SUV to begin with, at least the 2.0 makes it more fun to drive and we're still getting 30+mpg on trips which I never expected

1 - 17 of 17 Posts