GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two weeks ago I had to remove one of my tpms sensors because it was leaking. I just got another leak today. Whats up with that. Kind of expensive to replace every few weeks. I'm just adding regular valves but the cost of removing the tires and rebalance them is a pain. Anyone else have problems with this. Can this be a common thing to have to do. Maybe there is a recall on these. Now I have to deal with a light on all the time now. I'm realy getting dissapointed with so many small problems with this thing. All new vehicles now a days have too many gadgets that all go wrong sooner or later. I guess it is time to buy a few older vehicle and storing them for future use. New is bad. ???

·
Registered
312 Posts
It is not uncommon to have the TPMS sensors leak, especially after 4 or 5 years, or if a tire had ever been taken off the rim.

I just did a little searching after first reading your post, because I wasn't sure what to do if mine ever started leaking. I learned that there is a "rebuild" kit which includes the nut which secures the sensor itself to the wheel, a new seal for where the stem comes out of the wheel, a new valve stem core (which also acts as an antenna for the system) and a new cap.

These kits can be found at just about any tire replacement shop (Discount Tire, NTB, Costco, etc), and also any auto parts store (Auto Zone, Auto Advantage, Pep Boys, etc) for around $3.00-$7.00.

If a "bubble test" (soapy water put on the stem to find the leak) shows the valve core is leaking, buy the kit yourself and replace the core with the proper one. If the base of the stem is leaking, the tire will have to be broken down and the seal replaced.

It is highly recommended that any time a tire is removed from the rim, a rebuild kit be installed. This would include when you replace tires or have driven on a flat tire. There are torque values which must be followed when the kit is installed, otherwise leaks may once again occur.

You can have a tire repair shop mark where the tire and rim are in relationship to each other before breaking the bead to install a rebuild kit. This will allow the tire to go back on in the original position and you should not have to have the tire rebalanced. Tire shops have done that for me when I've had to have a patch put on because of a puncture, and the tire was fine with no re-balance.

Hope this helps you, and you really should fix the leaks properly and allow the system to work as designed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I was told the first time it happened is that the kit most of the time does not work. The sensor breaks 95% of the time when removed. I also did not know it had to be replaced every time a tire is replaced. I will have these removed on my next vehicle I buy right from the dealer. Think about the time and expense to have these removed every time they start to leak. The old design of using the ebs sensors to monitor tire inflation worked great.

·
Registered
10,498 Posts
gates59 said:
...I will have these removed on my next vehicle I buy right from the dealer. ...
I wouldn't think that a dealer would be allowed to remove them. They are put on for safety reasons, and dealers aren't allowed to compromise our safely - Ha !

·
Registered
312 Posts
RIT333 said:
I wouldn't think that a dealer would be allowed to remove them. They are put on for safety reasons, and dealers aren't allowed to compromise our safely - Ha !
There are federal laws which prevent a dealer or repair shop from disabling the TPMS system.

As for 95% failure rate when removing the sensor, sounds like someone is using a sledge hammer to remove it instead of unscrewing the lock nut! No way are they being broken just because they are removed to install a rebuild kit. And as for rebuild kits not working, there sure are a lot of them which have been installed with no problems. It sounds like someone is trying to sell you the complete TPMS sensor unit (which can vary from $30.00-$100.00 +) depending where you buy them instead of a $7.00 rebuild kit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They were not trying to sell me anything I did not need. I don't see them as a safety item. I never had them in vehicles before. People are just too lazy to inspect there tires before they leave. I hope I did not piss anyone off because I had to vent my frustration on cheap electronics. It is bad enough that everything in your home that is electronic is disposable no a days, now it seems that vehicles are going in that direction now.

Ever notice that electonics break down just after the warranty is over. Was not like that in the past. Cars are the same way now. The days of vehicles lasting over 10 year is long gone. 5 at max now.

·
Registered
10,498 Posts
gates59 said:
Ever notice that electonics break down just after the warranty is over. Was not like that in the past. Cars are the same way now. The days of vehicles lasting over 10 year is long gone. 5 at max now.
Sorry, but I would have to disagree with you on this. Maybe I am easier on things, but most of my things last way past the warranty. I may regret this statement, but so far, so good.

·
Registered
312 Posts
People are just too lazy to inspect there tires before they leave.

Maybe, maybe not. How many self serve gas stations do you know of where you can check your tires and get FREE air like in the past? How many stations today even have an air pump? The TPMS system was also instituted to help save fuel since at one time there was an unreal amount of vehicles being driven with low air pressure and wasting fuel. So that sounds like people really never did check the tires even before the TPMS.

The TPMS is a safety item even if you don't want to believe it. I've had newer model cars and trucks which when driving on the freeway and get a flat, I don't even know it until it's just about ready to ride off the wheel. Now that the light comes on with just several pounds of difference, I've had advanced warnings before any damage was done. With aluminum and other alloy tires, slow leaks are also a concern and the sensors let you know about those leaks also.

I think the warning lights are making people more aware of their tire pressure and they have to add air to shut off the light. Or they could just take the sensors out and drive with the light on.

I wish you luck with what ever your outcome is with the sensors and what ever you decide to do about having the system work properly or not.

·
Registered
10,498 Posts
Very well said ! :thumb:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts