GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

08 Equinox-noise when turning steering wheel

28K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  ModZilla 
#1 ·
Hi I just bought an 08 Equinox Sport FWD.Noticed a weird noise when I turn the steering wheel.Its inside the vehicle only I think,kind of a squeaking wheeeeeee noise.Not very loud,can barely hear it but it is there...Other than that vehicle seems decent.Mileage is a bit high 95000 so I have GM warranty till 100000 plus I purchased 2 years extra.

#7 ·
Browndogg said:
Hi I just bought an 08 Equinox Sport FWD.Noticed a weird noise when I turn the steering wheel.Its inside the vehicle only I think,kind of a squeaking wheeeeeee noise.Not very loud,can barely hear it but it is there...Other than that vehicle seems decent.Mileage is a bit high 95000 so I have GM warranty till 100000 plus I purchased 2 years extra.
Being that you still are under warranty, I would recommend that you take the vehicle into the dealer if you feel this is the result of some kind of concern. Please feel free to keep me posted. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

#8 ·
HI!

I got the same issue on my 08 Nox sport. At first i didnt know that this truck has a electric steering system and i was thinking that the clockspring was making this noise. Has i bought the truck from 78000km i didnt know if this came stock.

Has lots of peoples seams to have the same issue is there some succes stories about ths to be fix?

thanks

#9 ·
Bust4_Rhymes said:
HI!

I got the same issue on my 08 Nox sport. At first i didnt know that this truck has a electric steering system and i was thinking that the clockspring was making this noise. Has i bought the truck from 78000km i didnt know if this came stock.

Has lots of peoples seams to have the same issue is there some succes stories about ths to be fix?

thanks
Hi there,

If you can private message me your VIN I can check to see if there are any open recalls listed under your vehicle regarding this issue.

Thanks

Amber N.
GM Customer Care

#12 ·
Keep in mind, the steering wheel has a series of contact strips on it, allowing continious electrical connections for cruise control, horn button and radio functions on some cars. These contacts can become dry and/or dirty over the years and make noise due to the contact posts that are in the steering head, touching these strips, while the wheel turns.

The noise I have is more of a "plastic rubbing" noise, or so it sounds like.

#14 ·
Browndogg said:
I had this problem with a '08 Vue and this was a post

Re: Steering Wheel Noise 2008 and up Vue
We had the same issue and they did the same repair about 6 months ago. We took it back because it was making noise again. They said the had to grease the boot going through the firewall. Wife drives it home and now there is air noise coming into the cab. I look at the boot and it appears ripped. Can I get someone to take a pic of theirs and post?

I found this notice 09-08
Vue -- Squeak while turning steering wheel
Modify boot, install new I-shaft bolts
Don't lubricate or replace I-shaft
09-02-35-00

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.