GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
08 ‘Nox LS AWD Summit white, 07 Torrent FWD Black, 05 Pursuit Ultra Silver, 16 F150 XLT Sport
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently tore apart my moms 07 torrent to replace the heater core for a second time- replacement unit leaked and was defective. She also had a bad intermediate shaft so I replaced it at the same time. In doing so I did misalign the steering wheel by a bit. Not much. Can’t give an exact angle but when driving straight, the arrowhead emblem was pointing between 12 and 1 o clock- not too far towards 1.

Recently, she complained about a shaking whole stationary and at low speeds- <10KM/H, but when going faster it either wasn’t noticeable or the issue just stopped entirely. Took it for a road test and verified. Inspected my work and replace the Hardware- just the bolts and retorqued to OEM spec. Splines are good and u joints are good. I did use a Dorman part- rock auto was out of the GM part and I was not about to get ripped off at my stealership. After doing that, I pulled the car from my driveway to my sidewalk and tested again while parked. This time it shook VIOLENTLY. (I should note that I have a gravel driveway so testing it in the driveway wouldn’t really show the true severity of the problem). The steering wheel refused to turn with two fingers. Forced it to turn, it did but continue to shudder and shake and then it popped the fuse. The issue is now non existent without electric steering.

Is it possible the control module is bad or the motor is bad? Im hoping for my sake that this is coincidental but it probably isn’t. I’m thinking of going to my local U- pick and pulling the entire steering column and trying that out and getting it re calibrated. Any recommendations or input? I’m really stumped.
I have misaligned my steering wheel on my 08 nox and lined it up as best as I could and haven’t had a single issue since.

·
Registered
'16 Equinox LTZ AWD 3.6
1,564 Posts
Steering angle sensor is easily damaged. In my later model stuff, the manual recommends using the steering column locking pin when servicing the column or shafts.
Any steering codes being set?

·
Registered
08 ‘Nox LS AWD Summit white, 07 Torrent FWD Black, 05 Pursuit Ultra Silver, 16 F150 XLT Sport
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steering angle sensor is easily damaged. In my later model stuff, the manual recommends using the steering column locking pin when servicing the column or shafts.
Any steering codes being set?
Not a single code. TPMS light is on but that’s it. I replaced the fuse today and the steering felt fine after. Took it for a drive and when I went to go back home it started doing it again. I did unplug the 3 pin main power connector in the module(when the battery was disconnected) and then it worked miraculously.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts