GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.

I'm here to try and determine the root of a problem for my mom's SRX.

My parents leave the Caddy at home for summer travels, and will usually disconnect the negative battery cable to prevent the battery from draining. Quite often, once home and reconnecting the battery, the car will not start, and the key cannot be removed from the ignition switch. The first time, the local dealer determined it to be a bad battery. Ummm, ok. Hard to understand as it set idle and disconnected.

Here's the rundown as best I can tell, and this scenario has happened to me , too.

Connect negative battery cable, insert key and try to start the car. Doors were left unlocked, so nothing is done using keyfob remote. Try to start the car, ignition powers up, but no starter. Security light on dash is blinking. Try to turn off, but key cannot be removed. Ignition is off, but key will not come out. Only solution (part-time success) is to disconnect and reconnect battery again.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Stumped in San Marcos......
Mike

·
Registered
441 Posts
so wait, you disconnect the battery and leave the doors unlocked.....then hook up the battery, and it wont start?

if the security light is blinking it probably thinks the car is being stolen, thus why you cant start it.....

a solid battery wont drain dead sitting in a car with everything off for a few months......

what kind of battery is it? did the dealer replace the battery when they looked at?

also a bad cell in a battery will screw the whole battery.....even sitting with no load....the other cells in the battery have to spend themselves to keep the other cell equal...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The dealer did replace the battery, and less than six months later the problem arises again, after the batt sat disconnected for a few months. I started the car a few weeks ago to ensure the batt was charged, and the first time started right up. Backed it out, let it run, shut it off. When I went to pull it in the garage, it wouldn't start until I dis-and-reconnected the batt. My folks just got home today, and my dad has been dealing with it all day. I suggested maybe locking and unlocking via the remote before trying to start it. Maybe the anti theft needs to "see" an authorized transmitter before allowing the car to start? He will get back to me in the morning with the results of that test.

Very frustrating.....

·
Registered
635 Posts
An 05 SRX would have battery rundown protection so there is no need to disconnect battery. Here is an excerpt from a review of a 2005 SRX:

Standard safety features cover the gamut and consist of: dual-stage front airbags; front side seat-mounted airbags; roof-mounted side curtain airbags that cover the first and second rows of seats; anti-lock brakes; traction control; Panic Brake Assist to help during emergency braking and Dynamic Rear Brake Proportioning to regulate brake pressure for improved stopping; electronic stability control; rear parking assist; seatbelt pretensioners; the LATCH universal child safety seat system in the outboard second row positions; child security door and window locks; engine immobilizer anti-theft system; battery rundown protection[/color]; and one-year of the OnStar communications system.

http://www.newcartestdrive.com/review-intro.cfm?Vehicle=2005_Cadillac_SRX&ReviewID=4176

1 - 4 of 4 Posts