GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All – New to the forum and I am curious to hear everyone’s feedback on these vehicles and the experiences/issues I have come across in less than a year of owning a Nox. I bought this vehicle from a dealership with 56,000 miles a little less than a year ago and started hearing a clicking noise coming from the rear of the vehicle. Took it to the dealership and they stated the driveshaft was bad. I was disturbed knowing the fact the driveshaft had issues before 70,000 miles. So I contacted GM about the issue and they did help out by covering half the cost of the driveshaft. Well that did not solve the issue. In the environment I work in one and done is a must and anything outside of that is not acceptable. Disgusted with the dealership and feeling they are incompetent as they obviously did not take this out on a test drive after putting the new driveshaft in. I continued to listen to this noise and took the vehicle back multiple times for regular maintenance work. I was finally told the rear axle seal was leaking.

I contacted an independent shop that I have worked with for years prior to this vehicle. Took it in and reviewed the issue with the shop and upon reviewing the axle seals you could clearly see they one of the seals was pushed out of the rear end. Naturally, that struck me as odd that a seal was being pushed out of the rear end. Upon further investigation the root cause of the clicking is the bearings and cones in the rear end which caused the axle seals to be pushed out of the rear end. Somehow these dealerships that GM trusts could see the seals leaking but just thought that seals work themselves out?

The independent shop and I both did a little research on this issue and it was brought to both of our attention that GM recommends putting in a new rear end and not replacing the axle bearings. Spoke with a couple of independent rear end shops and the first thing both the shop and I are told is to either get a pullout unit or a new unit as GM does not service nor have parts available for the rear end. The independent shop was able to locate bearings from Napa and races from another location to avoid getting a pull out unit or a new unit.

The independent shop informs me as they are putting the rear end back in the vehicle that the trailing arm bushings are bad as well (this was found after they took it for a test drive) as it was making a slight squeak as the trailing arm if rattling against the mount on the chassis. After looking at it you can clearly tell they did not pull the bolts out of the mount or loosen the mount in anyway. I was not able to have them repair this issue yet as I needed the vehicle but, in doing some research I am not even sure yet (shop has not done any research yet either) if the bushings are even available without buying the entire trailing arm.

Two weeks prior to the independent shop finding the root cause of the clicking noise it went in for a heater core. Less that 100,000 and a heater core needs to be replaced? The best part about the heater core is that the bracket that holds the center console in place was corroded where it bolts to the vehicle deeming this part to be junk…

I have all of the parts in my hands as I wanted to contact GM and discuss these ridiculous issues with them. After all, you can clearly see where the heater core was leaking, the corrosion of the bracket and the scars on the axle bearings/races. After multiple phone calls over a few days it was determined by GM that due to the fact that the dealership was not involved with these issues they refused to help in anyway other than a supervisor agreeing with the idea “it is what it is”. Perhaps I am in the wrong with my mindset but, GM agreeing with the statement “it is what it is” tells me a lot about not only the supervisor that agreed but, the company as a whole. Sad to think my tax dollars and may others bailed them out and yet I am pin pointed to be at fault because the dealership could not diagnose the issue with a one and done attitude and I took to an independent shop that could pin point the issue without hesitation.

Has anyone else ran into any of the above issues on the Nox or have any thoughts on these issues? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
I haven't heard of anyone else complaining of those similar problems. Have you sone back to your original Dealer and asked them why they misdiagnosed your problem ? Maybe you should have done that before the second opinion, or maybe had gotten the second opinion before getting the repair done. Right now, you are between a rock and a hard place. Sorry for the "should of''s" hindsight is always 20-20.

Good luck, and keep us posted. Maybe others can learn form your misfortune.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
What part of a used vehicle with 56000 miles on it that maybe the previous owner didn't do any maintenance on it have to do with GM?
Maybe there is original anti-freeze in it still...

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I would be happy to look in to this for you as well. Do you have a case with customer assistance? Please feel free to contact me privately with the last eight of your VIN and case number if you have one. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fourmoremarine said:
What part of a used vehicle with 56000 miles on it that maybe the previous owner didn't do any maintenance on it have to do with GM?
Maybe there is original anti-freeze in it still...
I appreciate your comment and I do not disagree with you on the idea that maintenance may have not been performed. My primary focus for this post initially was to express my concerns with a group that has been around and is more knowledgeable than I with these vehicles. Most of my focus has been on the rear end and the history behind it which you can see was my focus when creating the post. The heater core just added to it and I mentioned it to GM especially since the bracket was corroded and destroyed. I figured by having it noted at GM about this concern if more complaints come through something could be done with this for anyone else having the same complaint/concern as I. But, once again, I am not disagreeing with you as I do not know what level of maintenance was performed on the vehicle prior to me. Thank you for your comments.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Bupala

This forum is probably populated by 98% owners of 2010 Theta Platform - i.e. Gen 2 Equinox, and you will probably not get a lot of specific info on pre 2010 Equinoxes.

Sorry,

Rit

1 - 6 of 6 Posts