GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

05 Equinox

6K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  eeks and knocks 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, new member to the forum here. i have an 05 nox and have a few questions (sorry it's a list, i'm glad i found a forum aimed at my suv):

1. startup issue. turn key, wananananana, nothing, turn key, engine starts, gasoline odor then.
2. how does this vehicle sound if i cut off the muffler in the rear?
3. on the first start of a day sometimes after start you can hear a few knocking sounds, not in the engine, coming from the middle of the car.
4. anything i should know about this particular vehicle?
5. any after-market intakes available?

thats all for now, thanks everyone :)

#2 ·
1. I don't know, but it sounds like something is wrong
2. What do you mean by "cut off the muffler in the rear"? If you mean what I think you do...it will sound loud and horrible, and likely break sound ordinances where you live.
3. Probably the catalytic converter rattling against the heat shield...it should go away after everything warms up.
4. 05 was the first year for the Equinox...with aklll the bugs and quirks that come with a first year model. Hopefully all recalls and service bulletins were taken care of before you bought it.
5. Yeah, there are some aftermarket intakes...I think K&N makes one.

#3 ·
1- probably no air, or no spark....its getting fuel if you can smell it....check your air filter, check your plugs
2- itll sound loud an obnoxious...get a muffler if you dont like the stock one....
3- probabaly some cold rattles...you can check under make sure nothings loose or banging around
4- if you have a sun roof, check your floor and your cargo area for water....that was the biggest issue....
5- k&n does NOT make an intake for the nox...weapon R does...its $190 usd though....way too steep IMO.....

#4 ·
gar187er said:
1- probably no air, or no spark....its getting fuel if you can smell it....check your air filter, check your plugs
2- itll sound loud an obnoxious...get a muffler if you dont like the stock one....
3- probabaly some cold rattles...you can check under make sure nothings loose or banging around
4- if you have a sun roof, check your floor and your cargo area for water....that was the biggest issue....
5- k&n does NOT make an intake for the nox...weapon R does...its $190 usd though....way too steep IMO.....
didn't 05's have trouble with water coming in thru the rear taillight and filling up the spare tire space? Mine did...

#5 ·
gar187er said:
On another forum for the Equinox I saw pictures of someone who fitted a short ram air intake on their first gen Nox...I thought it was K&N but maybe I was mistaken.

#6 ·
thanks for responses everyone!
1- it could use a tuneup
2- i worded that one bad, i know it'll sound crazy just pipe cut. i meant does this car sound nice with a stock muffler cut and aftermarket in place?
3- the rattle doesn't sound like anything exhaust, its 3 or 4 "thump pops" when it happens.
4-i actually had the water issue, it was horrible, water all over the floor! i had to bring it in

thanks!

#7 ·
the 3.4 sounds pretty decent with a muffler on it...so long as its not a rice canister.....i had a couple different setups on my old 3.1 (same engine family) dynomax super turbo, borla, dynomax bullet....the bullet sounded the best (also the loudest)....get something like a chambered 40 series flowmaster, and im sure itd sound nice...havent done mine yet, but will be come spring time....

#9 ·
gar187er said:
If k&n doesn't have an intake for a nox then I don't know why my the k&n intake for my 2.4 liter 2010 is sitting under the hood... Www.knfilters.com check it out

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.