GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if it would be necessary to get the trailer brakes when i buy my tracker boat? Its an extra 500 bucks. Not too concerned about the price but was just wondering if it is a necessity to have when towing with this vehicle. And as this would be my first time towing, do I need additional wiring for the trailer brakes? I already have the trailer wiring harness and the tow package, didnt know if you need additional wiring done when adding electric breaks. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
DropShotter said:
I was wondering if it would be necessary to get the trailer brakes when i buy my tracker boat? Its an extra 500 bucks. Not too concerned about the price but was just wondering if it is a necessity to have when towing with this vehicle. And as this would be my first time towing, do I need additional wiring for the trailer brakes? I already have the trailer wiring harness and the tow package, didnt know if you need additional wiring done when adding electric breaks. Thanks!
Depends on the trailer the boat is on some have surge brakes and some have electric brakes. What is the total weight of trailer and boat with all equipment onboard including water gas food life jackets etc.? Check your manual you may be able to tow this without brakes

·
Registered
492 Posts
Generally, fishing type boats do not require trailer brakes. Depending on where you live and the terrain, surge brakes might be warranted.

Legally states have requirements based on trailer weight (Gross Trailer Weight) and special requirements. Here is a link from Brake Buddy. http://www.brakebuddy.com/Towing-Laws

Just roll your cursor over the state to see if you need brakes. Note if you are crossing state lines you could go into an area that increases your brake requirements For instance New York has a 1,000 LB requirement but the next state over is 3,000 LBS.

If you are using surge brakes they are self contained. Electric brakes on the other hand require additional wiring to power the electromagnets that make the brakes work so the standard 4 pin "flat plug" will not be adequate.

Just hit a couple of reputable places to get info and costs U-Haul around here is a good place to check.

Happy Motoring!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Even if they're not required in your state, I would still recommend spending the money for trailer brakes.

Like was said earlier, surge brakes are self contained within the trailer.

Electric brakes require some more wiring and a "Trailer Brake Controller". Good insurance to have, especially on wet roads, or if you're going on vacation somewhere with a lot of hills. Will also save some "wear and tear" on the brakes in your Equinox, so over time, you'll spend less money having them replaced.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts